2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

54 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

And to think, at this time last year the opinion was virtually unanimous, Drew Lock was our QBOTF.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

I wouldn’t say unanimous, anyone who wasn’t a massive homer/fanboy pointed out a lot of his issues but also acknowledged the good. But when you peel back the layers it’s hard to think any different a year later, same issues are still there and the same positives are still there.

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

tbh I’d rather get to 4 and take whoever is left of Fields/Lance than give up a bigger haul for Zach Wilson. 

I kind of agree with you. They aren't going to trade that pick to Carolina, so it could be an option for us. We're only really contending with NE for 4 (if we want that pick).

That said, I don't see Denver making a trade to 4 until draft day if they do at all. Need to see who is left. If we do anything before draft day its a move to 2.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I kind of agree with you. They aren't going to trade that pick to Carolina, so it could be an option for us. We're only really contending with NE for 4 (if we want that pick).

That said, I don't see Denver making a trade to 4 until draft day if they do at all. Need to see who is left. If we do anything before draft day its a move to 2.

Indeed. And of course it would really behoove the Falcons to start leaking how much they love this quarterback class. Nice setup for them.

tbh I’d rather get to 4 and take whoever is left of Fields/Lance than give up a bigger haul for Zach Wilson. 

I couldnt disagree more. I think Trevor (duah) and Wilson are worth mortgaging the future. 

I think Fields/Lance are no more than 50/50 shots to becoming good QB's. I just have far less faith in them. 

Wilson in some ways is everything people wanted Manziel to be, but better. He has tons of similarities to Russell Wilson IMO. 

18 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I couldnt disagree more. I think Trevor (duah) and Wilson are worth mortgaging the future. 

I think Fields/Lance are no more than 50/50 shots to becoming good QB's. I just have far less faith in them. 

Wilson in some ways is everything people wanted Manziel to be, but better. He has tons of similarities to Russell Wilson IMO. 

For me, I think betting on guys with games that are built around escaping the pocket and throwing outside the numbers is pretty risky. There is so much less space to work with toward the sideline in the NFL. Russ is just such a unique talent being able to win that way. I think Fields’ best traits are so much more translatable (winning from the pocket, throwing accurately at all levels of the field esp. the middle) plus he brings the 4.4 speed dimension. I still like Wilson as a prospect but the hype has gotten to be too much for me.

To that point I would have liked to see Zach Wilson go through some agility and speed drills. We’ve seen what a devastating effect the loss of relative athletic advantage can be to guys with that playing style. Now, Wilson has a better arm than guys like Manziek but it’s still something to think about. 

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

The QB position is no place for value plays. There is no ‘we’ll take whoever’s there.’ You have one guy, either you go get him or you’re making a mistake. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

The QB position is no place for value plays. There is no ‘we’ll take whoever’s there.’ You have one guy, either you go get him or you’re making a mistake. 

If your board doesn’t match consensus and you know a guy you like less will go first, that’s a value play situation. 

I think the discussion on Wilson vs. Fields/Lance is moot at this point. NYJ are taking Wilson at #2. You have to assume that SF made their initial call to the Jets and offered them at least the same package, if not more, to secure their guy and the Jets still said no. Can't imagine them being so headstrong for Sewell (they already have a Becton who looked awesome when healthy) and, with the talent at WR, I can't see them married to one of Pitts/Chase/Smith.

I guess it could just be a case where Shanahan is so confident that he can mold any of Wilson/Fields/Lance into a franchise QB that it doesn't matter which one falls, but I doubt it.

4 hours ago, AKRNA said:

And to think, at this time last year the opinion was virtually unanimous, Drew Lock was our QBOTF.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

I don’t know if that’s how I would characterize it. The consensus I remember was that he’d earned a shot in 2020 to grow into that guy and there were some promising traits.

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1