2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

Tossing out another QB prospect, what do ya'll think of Davis Mills out of Stanford. Good arm, good size, reads the field quickly and seems to have accurate delivery. Good pocket presenceHe holds on to the ball a bit too long, could be his demise in the NFL but if you can speed up his delivery or get Peyton Manning to transplant his brain into this guy, you may have something to work with. 

If you could get him in the 4th rd he'd be considered a steal IMO. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Jones I think will end up having a career like Kirk Cousins or Andy Dalton where he can win games and get you into the playoffs if you surround him with a really talented team, but I don't believe he can elevate your team like truly elite QBs do.

We mustn't telegraph picking a QB just because we aren't sure if Lock is the guy. Now, if Paton absolutely falls in love with (for example) Justin Fields, I'd be fine with paying a hefty ransom to trade with Atlanta to get the guy. What I'm not ok with is a bang average QB like Mac Jones being the pick just for the sake of picking a QB.

If we stay put at 9 and five QBs go in the top 8, then we will get a top five overall talent on our board. For me the top four non-QBs in the draft are: 1. Penei Sewell, 2. Kyle Pitts, 3. Jamarr Chase, 4. Micah Parsons.

I know Pitts and Chase don't really fit into our team needs but my god our offense would be scary with ANOTHER weapon in there. I think with that kinda offense you can win games with Lock, or with a Minshew/Darnold/Foles type guy

Drafting Pitts would also allow us to throw in a premier TE to HOU if we trade for Watson while keeping 2 of the three of Pitts, Noah, A-OK

4 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Tossing out another QB prospect, what do ya'll think of Davis Mills out of Stanford. Good arm, good size, reads the field quickly and seems to have accurate delivery. Good pocket presenceHe holds on to the ball a bit too long, could be his demise in the NFL but if you can speed up his delivery or get Peyton Manning to transplant his brain into this guy, you may have something to work with. 

If you could get him in the 4th rd he'd be considered a steal IMO. 

Mills is a decent Rd4+ prospect.    What I like about him are 3 things:

1.  He's a natural passer, with a strong arm.    Can fit the ball into tight windows.

2.  He shows touch and placement in all 3 levels (although deep balls are still a work in progress).

3.  He's functionally mobile and can extend plays when called upon.

The 3 limitations:

1.  He's only average athletically.    Think Baker Mayfield level athleticism (won't make guys miss one on one, especially not campus cops lol).

2.  His placement/anticipation isn't by any means complete - he shows the ability, but he's inconsistent.   That's because....

3.  He's still learning, with only 17 games in his resume.   His bowl game the year before, he didn't look off the DB's, and that led to 3 TO's.  He's definitely a project.

I don't mind spending a Day 3 pick, because we need a long-term backup, and I'd prefer to take one with starter potential - and his lack of starter time and toolset, it's there, albeit not developed in any consistent form.   But I also wouldn't hesitate to upgrade on him long-term, either.  Why spending the Day 3 pick makes more sense in this range.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I agree with this post 10000%. Don't telegraph who the pick is like Elway so often did in the past. Do not pay a ransom for Mac Jones. If we like him at 9, fine, but I'd hate to be trading up for him personally because I don't see the value.

And Paul, the thought of Pitts on this team is tantalizing. I agree we don't need those weapons per se, but Pitts is one of a kind, IMO. Not a lot of players like him that I can remember. 

Same argument as Nelson in my mind. If you have a chance to take a “consensus Hall of Famer” ( and yes, I’m fully aware of all of the unknowns with that statement), you take them, and sort the rest out later. 

12 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Drafting Pitts would also allow us to throw in a premier TE to HOU if we trade for Watson while keeping 2 of the three of Pitts, Noah, A-OK

If the Broncos trade for Watson I am done with them - and I have been a fan for 40 years. There is now clear evidence that the guy is a sexual predator and I will not support a team that brings in a player like that knowing the evidence that exists against him. Just to be clear, such actions as those engaged in by Watson are about power, not about sex.

Paton should try every available avenue to get the QBOTF - and I will support everything that he does including spending every single draft pick for the next six years on a QB - everything except for trading for Watson. Indeed I would be delighted if Paton declared that the Broncos have no intention of trading for Watson. He is not going to do that to avoid showing his hand - but that is the type of statement that is really needed in this situation.

Watson should never throw a ball in the NFL again - but seeing as the primary driving force of the NFL is profit, some team will put him on the pitch in order to try and 'win'.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I have a feeling we might draft someone at 9 that could be considered a reach by the draft community.

Jaelen Phillips and Jeremiah O-K are both strong contenders imo. 

I do not see us taking either of those players at 9 personally. I think it's more likely that we would take a RT at 9.

• Like 1

If our FO is out on Parson then it really feels like the top 10 BPA is very offense dominated

You’ve got the 5 QBs that are going in the top 9. As an absolute minimum I expect 4 of them to be off the board before us 1-2-3-8 and it’s entirely possible that there will be one or two more trade ups and all 5 gone before us. If Jones or one of the other does slide to 9 I think we either take him or trade down with someone who does.

That only leaves 4 other top 9 slots available.

Penei Sewell, Ja’Marr Chase and Kyle Pitts are 3 of those 4.

The 4th likely comes down to either Slater, Surtain or one of the Alabama WRs.

If we genuinely are taking the BPA then it’s highly likely to be an offensive player imo. 

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

If our FO is out on Parson then it really feels like the top 10 BPA is very offense dominated

You’ve got the 5 QBs that are going in the top 9. As an absolute minimum I expect 4 of them to be off the board before us 1-2-3-8 and it’s entirely possible that there will be one or two more trade ups and all 5 gone before us. If Jones or one of the other does slide to 9 I think we either take him or trade down with someone who does.

If we genuinely are taking the BPA then it’s highly likely to be an offensive player imo. 

Just a hunch, but Sewell may not be the first OT taken.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paul-mac said:

It's also why I think Paton is so very set on trading back if it's not QB.   If we can mine an extra 2022 1st and get the BPA that's also a need on D, it's a win-win-win.    That only happens if Paton drops back.    He's on record as being a BPA guy, so it makes sense that he'd either go QB, or trade back.   

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

It's also why I think Paton is so very set on trading back if it's not QB.   If we can mine an extra 2022 1st and get the BPA that's also a need on D, it's a win-win-win.    That only happens if Paton drops back.    He's on record as being a BPA guy, so it makes sense that he'd either go QB, or trade back.   

And if you can collect that extra #1...and if the Watson stuff isn't true...then you can do three years of number one picks.  But even if he is proven innocent, then I would still only dangle two firsts considering the negative hit publicly.  

There is news out there that he is a good guy.  Which I don't know what to think.  It does not mean he didn't try to diddle the other 20 or so masseuses. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/31/18-massage-therapists-with-names-attached-voice-support-for-deshaun-watson/