2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

27 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

And if you can collect that extra #1...and if the Watson stuff isn't true...then you can do three years of number one picks.  But even if he is proven innocent, then I would still only dangle two firsts considering the negative hit publicly.  

There is news out there that he is a good guy.  Which I don't know what to think.  It does not mean he didn't try to diddle the other 20 or so masseuses. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/31/18-massage-therapists-with-names-attached-voice-support-for-deshaun-watson/ 

I’d be the first to say today’s version, even  if true, doesn’t mean the other ppl are making it up (although the ones with the most damaging allegations are kinda wild in the circumstances proposed - the rest all say the same theme of exposing and repeatedly asking, and all state no force / threats).   And in the most benign light, Watson  propositioned therapists who don’t offer extras.    

But it’s also fair to say we don’t even have close to the full picture.   The process needs to play out in full.  Those who are quick to condemn (and to exonerate) are doing so without the full set of info.   

So it doesn’t derail this thread - for now, no way it’s an option.  After the draft and once the process is complete, if Watson is still in play, sure.   But keep in mind that Watson won’t be the only potential fish in the water.   Russell Wilson and next year’s draft class are certainly in play with 2 2022 1sts.   If we can get BPA match a need at a D position & give us 2022 ammo - I’d be on board.   If we can get a top 4 QB without giving up future 1sts - I’m ok with that.    Just not sold on Mac Jones’ ceiling to go there this time.   

Edited by Broncofan

Rumours that Atlanta won't trade out of 4 and are locked in on Kyle Pitts.

I think Detroit at 7 is a key pressure point in the draft.

1. Jaguars - LAWRENCE

2. Jets - WILSON

3. 49ers - QB3 (I think it's most likely to be Lance, but lots of rumours that it's Wilson)

4. Falcons - PITTS

5. Bengals - SEWELL/CHASE

6. Dolphins - CHASE/SMITH/WADDLE

7. Lions - ???

I anticipate 7 could be a key pressure point for someone to come up and leapfrog Carolina to get Fields (Or Jones/Lance). Here are the teams that could come up, and what the TVC suggests they'd pay

Denver: First round pick (9th overall) and third round pick (71st overall)

New England: First round pick (15th overall), second round pick (46th overall) and sixth round pick (197th overall)

Washington: First round pick (19th overall), second round pick (51st overall) and third round pick (82nd overall)

Chicago: Won't trade with Detroit

I reckon the Lions trade out and QB4 will go at 7. Then the Panthers wait and take whichever QB falls to 8.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Rumours that Atlanta won't trade out of 4 and are locked in on Kyle Pitts.

I think Detroit at 7 is a key pressure point in the draft.

1. Jaguars - LAWRENCE

2. Jets - WILSON

3. 49ers - QB3 (I think it's most likely to be Lance, but lots of rumours that it's Wilson)

4. Falcons - PITTS

5. Bengals - SEWELL/CHASE

6. Dolphins - CHASE/SMITH/WADDLE

7. Lions - ???

I anticipate 7 could be a key pressure point for someone to come up and leapfrog Carolina to get Fields (Or Jones/Lance). Here are the teams that could come up, and what the TVC suggests they'd pay

Denver: First round pick (9th overall) and third round pick (71st overall)

New England: First round pick (15th overall), second round pick (46th overall) and sixth round pick (197th overall)

Washington: First round pick (19th overall), second round pick (51st overall) and third round pick (82nd overall)

Chicago: Won't trade with Detroit

I reckon the Lions trade out and QB4 will go at 7. Then the Panthers wait and take whichever QB falls to 8.

If Detroit is OTC with Lance on the board and we only have to give up a 3rd to move up I’m all for that. 

Edited by Broncofan

47 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Kyle Pitts measured almost 6’6”, 245 lbs, an 84” wingspan, and ran a 4.45 40. I don’t know, you guys, running a base 12 personnel with Sutton/Jeudy/Fant/Pitts would be ferocious. I doubt he falls to 1.9, but I couldn’t pass on him if he did. 

No question. Best overall player in the draft IMO. From a roster standpoint, gives you flexibility on Fant’s future if he doesn’t make a big leap, and people act like Albert O is some known quantity. In reality he played a few games with his college QB, had some bad drops and then tore up his knee. Pitts comes in and gives us our Waller/Kelce. No brainer to me.

48 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Kyle Pitts measured almost 6’6”, 245 lbs, an 84” wingspan, and ran a 4.45 40. I don’t know, you guys, running a base 12 personnel with Sutton/Jeudy/Fant/Pitts would be ferocious. I doubt he falls to 1.9, but I couldn’t pass on him if he did. 

I doubt Pitts will drop to us.   I don’t think TE is a good investment but he’s more a WR than a TE.   He’s a more athletic Mike Evans.   

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

I doubt Pitts will drop to us.   I don’t think TE is a good investment but he’s more a WR than a TE.   He’s a more athletic Mike Evans.   

I think he’s basically Darren Waller. But I don’t really get the appeal of matching him up against corners when no linebacker in the league will be able to cover him. I’d rather bet on his ability to create separation against slower guys than creating above the rim opportunities against smaller guys. It’s just more efficient usage. 

Having said that, there are definitely times it makes sense to split him out some especially in 3x1 looks like the Raiders do with Waller (shout out Isaac Yiadom). But he’s a TE/big slot, using him as an X more than a handful of plays a game is a waste to me. 

29 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think he’s basically Darren Waller. But I don’t really get the appeal of matching him up against corners when no linebacker in the league will be able to cover him. I’d rather bet on his ability to create separation against slower guys than creating above the rim opportunities against smaller guys. It’s just more efficient usage. 

Having said that, there are definitely times it makes sense to split him out some especially in 3x1 looks like the Raiders do with Waller (shout out Isaac Yiadom). But he’s a TE/big slot, using him as an X more than a handful of plays a game is a waste to me. 

A lot of the problem with TE Rd1 (let alone the top 10) investment is the steep learning curve of playing the position.    Pitts though has the ability to be used as a big slot which might mitigate that slow learning curve.  

I agree Pitts is going to eventually play full time there and then match out for different looks.  Just more a team that wants to invest an early pick should be ready to use him more than just at inline / move if they want to get the return such a high pick warrants.   A team that just uses him as a TE is limiting the return for that rookie contract.   

Edited by Broncofan

22 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

A lot of the problem with TE Rd1 (let alone the top 10) investment is the steep learning curve of playing the position.    Pitts though has the ability to be used as a big slot which might mitigate that slow learning curve.  

I agree Pitts is going to eventually play full time there and then match out for different looks.  Just more a team that wants to invest an early pick should be ready to use him more than just at inline / move if they want to get the return such a high pick warrants.   A team that just uses him as a TE is limiting the return for that rookie contract.   

Yeah I think there are ways you can simplify things for Pitts early and you should, as non-QB top 10 guys should create positive value on the field from Day 1. I actually think he’s well ahead of most athletic move TEs in recent drafts as a blocker, he looks like he’ll be good enough there. And with his traits as a receiver all I’d really care about is that he doesn’t get embarrassed when you have to use him as a blocker. 

With Atlanta now stuck with Ryan’s money for two years (what an absolute mess their cap situation is), I think Pitts is the pick. To me it’s a situation where by doubling down on a strength (really their only strength) combined with some expected positive regression in close games, that team can be in the playoff hunt. Good luck defending a play action heavy passing game with Julio, Ridley and Pitts. 

Pitts is going to be absolutely unreal in this league. He's got the position versatility that few players have, and the athleticism to win just about any matchup. If he goes to a team with a competent QB and OC, it's going to be trouble. He'd be tremendous in Atlanta. The weapons on that offense would open up a lot of looks for him.

• Like 1

I think there's an outside chance Penei Sewell makes it to 9. If 5 QBs go in the top 8 (Say someone like NE trades up with the Lions) and the other three picks are pass catchers in Pitts, Chase and Smith/Waddle.

If he's there at 9 do we turn the card in and have our bookend OTs for the next decade or would it be unfair to ask him to play RT?

41 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I think there's an outside chance Penei Sewell makes it to 9. If 5 QBs go in the top 8 (Say someone like NE trades up with the Lions) and the other three picks are pass catchers in Pitts, Chase and Smith/Waddle.

If he's there at 9 do we turn the card in and have our bookend OTs for the next decade or would it be unfair to ask him to play RT?

Sewell is the one non-QB I'd stand pat for at 1.9.    I really would be shocked if he fell that far, though.

Sewell is the one non-QB I'd stand pat for at 1.9.    I really would be shocked if he fell that far, though.

I am starting to think I would stay 1.09 if Pitts falls, but Sewell is the only non-QB where its a no-brainer to take him. 

I think there is a better chance Peni falls to us than Pitts FWIW. I would be estatic if that happened. Having to pay James doesnt mean in any way that we should avoid taking a blue chip, bookend OT. Its really short sighted to think so. 

• Like 2