2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

I think Devonta Smith & Ja'marr Chase are electric playmakers, perhaps two best WR's I've seen for some time.  Let's just suppose the Broncos trade down from #9 and they are the highest ranked prospect on the board.... How would you feel if the Broncos draft one of them?  

6 hours ago, marktheshark said:

I think Devonta Smith & Ja'marr Chase are electric playmakers, perhaps two best WR's I've seen for some time.  Let's just suppose the Broncos trade down from #9 and they are the highest ranked prospect on the board.... How would you feel if the Broncos draft one of them?  

If they trade down I don’t see them going for WR simply because the trade back likely goes far backwards.  

Paton has said he’s a BPA guy.   But again that’s a relative concept - that principle matters only if the gap is wide.   If it’s not wide then it’s not the deciding factor.    His view to move back IMO undoubtedly comes from looking to leverage BPA with need - accumulate more 2022 picks and take BPA at a range where D gets addressed.  

In my final mock, have you guys selecting Micah Parsons at #9, think he fits your defense like a glove. Would love if you let him fall to 17 though. In the 2nd Round I have you guys selecting DT Christian Barmore which is pretty good value at that pick. And in the 3rd Round you select QB Kellen Mond. I'm not the biggest Mond fan but a lot of people like him, and he'll compete with Lock. 

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

In my final mock, have you guys selecting Micah Parsons at #9, think he fits your defense like a glove. Would love if you let him fall to 17 though. In the 2nd Round I have you guys selecting DT Christian Barmore which is pretty good value at that pick. And in the 3rd Round you select QB Kellen Mond. I'm not the biggest Mond fan but a lot of people like him, and he'll compete with Lock. 

Not a fan of the QB in the 3rd round but getting Barmore at 40 is a home run. I’d be shocked if he fell that far. 

Parsons would be a good pick if they like him from the interviews. All depends on how they feel about the character stuff. IIRC, the Vikings didn’t mind taking a punt on bad character guys, so I wouldn’t be shocked to see him at 9. 

The more I think about it, the more I’m not sure I want to trade back more than a handful of spots.

I think the top tier contains 14 prospects. 5 QBs, 3 WRs, Pitts, Sewell, Slater, Parsons, Surtain and Horn. If we drop down more than 5 spots we risk ending up with more of a fringe first round talent. I don’t hate a short trade back, but unless someone genuinely sells the farm then let’s not go too far back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

The more I think about it, the more I’m not sure I want to trade back more than a handful of spots.

I think the top tier contains 14 prospects. 5 QBs, 3 WRs, Pitts, Sewell, Slater, Parsons, Surtain and Horn. If we drop down more than 5 spots we risk ending up with more of a fringe first round talent. I don’t hate a short trade back, but unless someone genuinely sells the farm then let’s not go too far back.

I agree Paul. The exception, IMO would be if we get an offer that includes a 2022 R1 pick. I might be okay dropping a bit more in that case, but it's all situational. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I agree Paul. The exception, IMO would be if we get an offer that includes a 2022 R1 pick. I might be okay dropping a bit more in that case, but it's all situational. 

That’s the condition for any trades back into the 20’s.   Frankly it shouldn’t even be a consideration unless there’s a 2022 1st attached.  For a team like NO at 25 it’s probably a 2022 1st & 2nd as the start.   For a team like CHI or WFT it’s a 2022 1st plus. 

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

That’s the condition for any trades back into the 20’s.   Frankly it shouldn’t even be a consideration unless there’s a 2022 1st attached.  For a team like NO at 25 it’s probably a 2022 1st & 2nd as the start.   For a team like CHI or WFT it’s a 2022 1st plus. 

I would hope the trade back would with Chicago for two reasons 1) I hope the trade up would be for Fields so they beat out the Patriots to get him, and 2) I think Chicago would have the poorer record over the Saints so that if there is a 2022 1st round pick involved it's a higher pick.  

33 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I would hope the trade back would with Chicago for two reasons 1) I hope the trade up would be for Fields so they beat out the Patriots to get him, and 2) I think Chicago would have the poorer record over the Saints so that if there is a 2022 1st round pick involved it's a higher pick.  

I'd be surprised if we passed on Fields, even with the reports.    Check that - I'd be beyond disappointed if we did.

If we're trading into the 20's and getting a 2022 1st round pick, I think everyone would be rooting for the Bears.  They are legitimately the one playoff team from last year where dropping into a top 10 pick is very real.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I'd be surprised if we passed on Fields, even with the reports.    Check that - I'd be beyond disappointed if we did.

If we're trading into the 20's and getting a 2022 1st round pick, I think everyone would be rooting for the Bears.  They are legitimately the one playoff team from last year where dropping into a top 10 pick is very real.    

I'd prefer to have Fields as a Bronco too.  However, I don't mind the trade back, and would prefer it if there was more confident out of Dove Valley regarding Lock. 

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I’d have no problem with trading back to 19-20 for a 2nd this year and next, assuming there’s no play for a QB. For a team who, besides QB, is really close to being true BPA-viable, trading back and hunting value is a great idea. Adding another pick around 50, and still probably choosing a Darrisaw, Ojulari, JOK, Barmore, or Paye at 20ish is solid, without even talking about the flexibility another 2nd rounder next year would give us. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I’d have no problem with trading back to 19-20 for a 2nd this year and next, assuming there’s no play for a QB. For a team who, besides QB, is really close to being true BPA-viable, trading back and hunting value is a great idea. Adding another pick around 50, and still probably choosing a Darrisaw, Ojulari, JOK, Barmore, or Paye at 20ish is solid, without even talking about the flexibility another 2nd rounder next year would give us. 

If it’s for a QB, a trade back will be at seller market conditions.   That’s a 2022 first plus added value.  It could easily also move up from our 3.71 to the 50’s plus a 2022 1st.  But the goal of trading back and getting premium 2022 1st as plan B for QB assuming the top 4 guys are gone by 1.9 should be the price.  

If all 5 QB are gone with Carolina trading back for the QB ahead of us - then yeah it’s ok to not get a 2022 1st.   It’s less likely we move back that far though.    Teams usually don’t go from 20’s to 9 for a non QB.   And usually at buyer friendly prices (like Pit at 1.20 for our 1.10 in 2019).  

• Like 1