2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

11 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

What is everyone's thoughts on Matt Stafford? Considering where his team is now, I wonder if he might be a possibility too. Has a higher salary but might be cheaper than Darnold, and more available that Matt Ryan that has been brought up occasionally. Not sure if the Lions would be open to moving on from him or not, but might be worthwhile if we are looking for a vet to come in. 

I doubt the Lions would move him.    If somehow Patricia isn’t fired - they are fighting for their jobs.    If they do move on Stafford gives the new staff a foundation piece - it’s not like they have a draft spot they can lock into QB with certainty (and obv months after a new hire in that scenario).

The Ford family values stability - why they don’t turn over coaches as quickly as other orgs do.    That principle applies to their stars - they drove Megatron & Sanders to retire early; never once did serious trade discussions come up.    Given the above this seems incredibly unlikely.   

Edited by Broncofan

No idea what Darnolds value will be draft day, but I would hope we could use our pick (Say, 12) to move for him and the SEA FRP that is owed to NYJ (Say, 25). Maybe we throw in some other middle rounders to get it done? 

Trading for Darnold and moving Chubb to 34DE are the two of the moves that I really hope happen next offseason. Draft Zaven Collins as an EDGE w/ that NYJ FRP and a OT in R2. 

56 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

No idea what Darnolds value will be draft day, but I would hope we could use our pick (Say, 12) to move for him and the SEA FRP that is owed to NYJ (Say, 25). Maybe we throw in some other middle rounders to get it done? 

Trading for Darnold and moving Chubb to 34DE are the two of the moves that I really hope happen next offseason. Draft Zaven Collins as an EDGE w/ that NYJ FRP and a OT in R2. 

Not the biggest fan of the trade back but I love Zaven Collins. Was hoping he'd fall to our second but that's looking less and less likely. Not even sure he falls to 25.

3 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

So, what exactly is the fascination with Darnold? I'm having a hard time getting it. He looks to me to be extremely damaged goods. Three years of getting pummeled every Sunday by 300lb+ linemen will do that to a guy. Many of them never quit hearing footsteps after that and have zero starter appeal. I can't see one reason to favor him over Lock. 

So, what exactly is the fascination with Darnold? I'm having a hard time getting it. He looks to me to be extremely damaged goods. Three years of getting pummeled every Sunday by 300lb+ linemen will do that to a guy. Many of them never quit hearing footsteps after that and have zero starter appeal. I can't see one reason to favor him over Lock. 

He is much more cerebral than Lock and has posted better raw and advanced stats than Drew despite being thrown to an offense with much worse talent than ours. His skill position guys are worse, his OL is worse, his coaching staff has been horrendous. 

I dont really buy the damaged goods narrative. I think Lock is playing poorly because he isnt able to adjust to the speed of the game and isnt cerebral enough to make adjustments, look off guys or progress through reads. The OL hasnt been great, but Lock has been worse. 

Not the biggest fan of the trade back but I love Zaven Collins. Was hoping he'd fall to our second but that's looking less and less likely. Not even sure he falls to 25.

I think he is a special talent. The lack of high end EDGE talent this year may put him well out of the range of 25 IMO. 

Edited by BroncosFan2010

6 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

He is much more cerebral than Lock and has posted better raw and advanced stats than Drew despite being thrown to an offense with much worse talent than ours. His skill position guys are worse, his OL is worse, his coaching staff has been horrendous. 

I dont really buy the damaged goods narrative. I think Lock is playing poorly because he isnt able to adjust to the speed of the game and isnt cerebral enough to make adjustments, look off guys or progress through reads. The OL hasnt been great, but Lock has been worse. 

I'm not high on Lock right now, no question. I just don't see how we could count on Darnold as an upgrade. Right now he's just a failed high draft pick with lots of excuses for failure.

I could see a good team with an established starter taking a flyer on him. Sit him on the bench for a year or two, give him a clipboard and let him learn the game. We're just not that team.

6 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I'm not high on Lock right now, no question. I just don't see how we could count on Darnold as an upgrade. Right now he's just a failed high draft pick with lots of excuses for failure.

I could see a good team with an established starter taking a flyer on him. Sit him on the bench for a year or two, give him a clipboard and let him learn the game. We're just not that team.

I can’t help but see him in NE or PIT next year. I think he needs some serious insulation wherever he ends up next. Coaching, o-line, weapons...it’s clear he can’t do it on his own, and his confidence is probably shot. 

On another topic, I’m on the record being pretty adamantly on the tank this season, but if we can’t get a high pick, it sure would be nice to see a run on WR’s in the top half of the first round. If I made a big board right now, I’m guessing I’d have 5 first round wideouts, with probably 4 in my top 20. If we’re stuck in the middle of the first, it would sting a lot less if we saw some other positions slide because everyone was grabbing receivers (and Kyle Pitts). 

9 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I can’t help but see him in NE or PIT next year. I think he needs some serious insulation wherever he ends up next. Coaching, o-line, weapons...it’s clear he can’t do it on his own, and his confidence is probably shot. 

On another topic, I’m on the record being pretty adamantly on the tank this season, but if we can’t get a high pick, it sure would be nice to see a run on WR’s in the top half of the first round. If I made a big board right now, I’m guessing I’d have 5 first round wideouts, with probably 4 in my top 20. If we’re stuck in the middle of the first, it would sting a lot less if we saw some other positions slide because everyone was grabbing receivers (and Kyle Pitts). 

Given that the belief that there is going to be a fairly robust market for him - I see very little chance Darnold goes to NE.   There is no way the FO would want to voluntarily help NE reload.   Sometimes the offer is so much above other teams that this breaks the "don't trade inside your own division" rule (especially when there are no other bidders), but that doesn't fit NE's MO to overpay, either.    PIT has some real traction - if the FO is willing to set aside Big Ben's ego here (and that's a legit Q - them spending a Rd3 pick on Mason Rudolph was in response to Big Ben making overtures about retirement - which quickly went away after that pick was made).   If NE misses the playoffs, then they will be in range of our pick value competition-wise, though.   So then it gets interesting.   Again, maybe Lock makes this all moot, but of all the potential outcomes, Darnold to NE would likely have the longest odds.

Edited by Broncofan

13 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Either of those would be good landing spots for him. I just can't see how he would make any sense in Denver.

I would be all for getting a Matt Ryan or a Stafford and drafting or letting Lock sit behind them for awhile...none of this, "we are going to groom a QB behind a QB like Caseeing Keenum." But actually Grooming a QB for a few seasons behind a legit NFL starting QB. If Lock has some processing abilities and footwork issues I'd give him three or four seasons to adjust behind Stafford.

On 11/28/2020 at 5:17 AM, jsthomp2007 said:

I would be all for getting a Matt Ryan or a Stafford and drafting or letting Lock sit behind them for awhile...none of this, "we are going to groom a QB behind a QB like Caseeing Keenum.

Everyone would be all for “getting” these guys but why would either of them be available?

14 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

We’d be sitting in the 6th overall pick slot instead of the 12th right now if it wasn’t for that dumbass win last week. But hey, at least it was a culture-builder. 

It’s not a bad time to play KC on SNF. Almost certainly an L while ATL & HOU (currently in the 1.10 & 1.11 spots) are trending up and NFC East teams (DAL @ 1.4, PHI @ 1.7, & WAS @ 1.8) all still have reason to win. Weird year.

Edited by bMiller031

@AKRNA, I was told about this tape of Rashawn Slater from last year, LT #70. Athleticism/size doesn’t wow, and apparently he’s got short-ish arms, but his pass-blocking looks real good here, including against #2 Chase Young (most of those matchups are in the 3rd quarter. Too bad the game was a laugher and Young was taken out.) The heads-up run-blocking lacks some power, but he seems to know where he’s going on his pulls and zone reads, which Munchak would love. 

I don’t think he plays LT at the next level, but if he can add some strength, there could be a big time OG here.

Edited by broncosfan_101
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

@AKRNA, I was told about this tape of Rashawn Slater from last year, LT #70. Athleticism/size doesn’t wow, and apparently he’s got short-ish arms, but his pass-blocking looks real good here, including against #2 Chase Young (most of those matchups are in the 3rd quarter. Too bad the game was a laugher and Young was taken out.) The heads-up run-blocking lacks some power, but he seems to know where he’s going on his pulls and zone reads, which Munchak would love. 

I don’t think he plays LT at the next level, but if he can add some strength, there could be a big time OG here.

He's got pretty good feet and knows the game. He's on his assignments. Got some leverage issues though and plays pretty high. That's easily coachable though.

Didn't see enough to be sure but "change of direction" looks like a problem on the outside. A year of good coaching, better technique, lower hips and a weight room could correct those issues. 

Mid round pick maybe? A year on the PS would do wonders.