Mitch Trubisky has Improved

WindyCity

25 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

You're better than using PFF, Windy.

I think it's quite obvious he has improved.. but to use PFF? Yikes

I think PFF makes a lot of really good points on a number of fronts.

I just hate it when they get arrogant and act like their debatable opinions and grades are scientific law.  No one has observed anything different.  

Your +.5 might be my +1.5 and your 0 might be my -1 and so on.  And don't get me started on "big time throws"

And I still think it is really sloppy data work to try to grade a player outside an all 22 view without watching a replay at least 3x.  And I have no trust that all their graders are qualified to do so.   

Even if all their data was perfectly collected, their conclusions from it aren't necessarily correct.

• Like 1

See, I don't think MT is better than last year (and that disappoints me).

I think the O line is better and he looks better as a result.

People underestimate how much a lack of trust in your O line can effect rest of the offense.

Do you think Montgomery is way, way better than last year as well?  

I think if you put Foles in now Bears would get worse.  And I have no faith that Foles would stay healthy for a long stretch. So I am not advocating for Bears to put Foles in.

But if for some reason we knew Foles could stay healthy and he had a whole real off season I think Bears would have been better off with Foles at QB.

MT brings a better arm, escapability and mobility.  But I think Foles is better at every thing else including intangibles.  

I wonder if Eagles are wishing for Foles right now? 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They hate him. I am shocked they would write that.

I don't think they hate him. I think they thought he sucked which is where their tough grades come from, which he did.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think PFF makes a lot of really good points on a number of fronts.

I just hate it when they get arrogant and act like their debatable opinions and grades are scientific law.  No one has observed anything different.  

Your +.5 might be my +1.5 and your 0 might be my -1 and so on.  And don't get me started on "big time throws"

And I still think it is really sloppy data work to try to grade a player outside an all 22 view without watching a replay at least 3x.  And I have no trust that all their graders are qualified to do so.   

Even if all their data was perfectly collected, their conclusions from it aren't necessarily correct.

That's my problem. These grades come out instantly from the TV view- no A22, no special insights, etc. 

35 minutes ago, G08 said:

Good stuff, but hes wrong about the coverage on the 2nd play, it's not 2, its cover 3.  The SS comes into the box and now has responsibility to the flat.  FS has deep middle, cbs have deep outside.  The FS rotates right bc there is no receiver on the deep left or middle.  As a db, you dont cover air.  If nobody is in your zone you rotate to help out your teammate.  

Having caught up with the first couple of games there is no doubt Trubisky does look better...be is the fact the OL has improved or that he now has a running attack that teams need to respect or be it Trubisky himself who's footwork does look better and he is throwing the ball with more touch consistently than in previous years...the issue is this is the worst thing that could have happened...let me explain...Trubisky looks better but still not the type of QB who is going to win you playoff games on the road when the running game is bogged down...so what do we do at the end of the season? Do we accept he isn't a game winner on his own...pay him $20 million a season and try and add more talent around him...or do we cut bait on a decent to sometimes really good QB in the hope of drafting a game changer who could end up a superstar or a bust? That is the trickiest of all questions when you have a middle of the road QB.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Having caught up with the first couple of games there is no doubt Trubisky does look better...be is the fact the OL has improved or that he now has a running attack that teams need to respect or be it Trubisky himself who's footwork does look better and he is throwing the ball with more touch consistently than in previous years...the issue is this is the worst thing that could have happened...let me explain...Trubisky looks better but still not the type of QB who is going to win you playoff games on the road when the running game is bogged down...so what do we do at the end of the season? Do we accept he isn't a game winner on his own...pay him $20 million a season and try and add more talent around him...or do we cut bait on a decent to sometimes really good QB in the hope of drafting a game changer who could end up a superstar or a bust? That is the trickiest of all questions when you have a middle of the road QB.

I don’t think you can give him a long-term deal. He looks better but he’s still a middling QB.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

I don’t think you can give him a long-term deal. He looks better but he’s still a middling QB.

At this point I 100% agree.  If I made decision today it would be see ya.  

He still has a year with a good enough supporting cast now both to judge him and give him a chance to develop into something worth keeping.  

They won't be changing scheme each week to find an answer to run game and he won't be running for his life constantly.   

This is his one true shot at a long term NFL starting career with Bears or elsewhere.  Or he gets to be a back up somewhere.

7 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Simple answer.  You franchise him and see if he can improve even more the next season before you think about committing big long term money.  That's what I expect will happen if he continues on this pace for 2020 and the team is able to make the playoffs.