Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
WindyCity

Mitch Trubisky has Improved

Recommended Posts

On 9/21/2020 at 5:24 PM, WindyCity said:

They hate him. I am shocked they would write that.

That's a very good point.

13 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Having caught up with the first couple of games there is no doubt Trubisky does look better...be is the fact the OL has improved or that he now has a running attack that teams need to respect or be it Trubisky himself who's footwork does look better and he is throwing the ball with more touch consistently than in previous years...the issue is this is the worst thing that could have happened...let me explain...Trubisky looks better but still not the type of QB who is going to win you playoff games on the road when the running game is bogged down...so what do we do at the end of the season? Do we accept he isn't a game winner on his own...pay him $20 million a season and try and add more talent around him...or do we cut bait on a decent to sometimes really good QB in the hope of drafting a game changer who could end up a superstar or a bust? That is the trickiest of all questions when you have a middle of the road QB.

The fact that Mitch has rebounded from last season means that nobody can be REALLY certain what he is yet. Which is disconcerting, but it is what it is. What has stuck out the most is that Haywire Mitch has yet to make an appearance so far this season. I'd imagine that still happens, but if not, the guy can only improve as the season trundles along. 

I'm confused as to your point, too. Not every quarterback is Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes. You can win it all without having one of those guys. So, yeah, if you have a QB that can feasibly win you the Super Bowl, you keep him. 

Edited by Heinz D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

That's a very good point.

The fact that Mitch has rebounded from last season means that nobody can be REALLY certain what he is yet. Which is disconcerting, but it is what it is. What has stuck out the most is that Haywire Mitch has yet to make an appearance so far this season. I'd imagine that still happens, but if not, the guy can only improve as the season trundles along. 

I'm confused as to your point, too. Not every quarterback is Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes. You can win it all without having one of those guys. So, yeah, if you have a QB that can feasibly win you the Super Bowl, you keep him. 

And you believe Mitch is that? I am not so sure and that is my concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

That's a very good point.

The fact that Mitch has rebounded from last season means that nobody can be REALLY certain what he is yet. Which is disconcerting, but it is what it is. What has stuck out the most is that Haywire Mitch has yet to make an appearance so far this season. I'd imagine that still happens, but if not, the guy can only improve as the season trundles along. 

I'm confused as to your point, too. Not every quarterback is Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes. You can win it all without having one of those guys. So, yeah, if you have a QB that can feasibly win you the Super Bowl, you keep him. 

You can win it without a Rodgers or Mahomes type, but how often does that happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

You can win it without a Rodgers or Mahomes type, but how often does that happen?

About a quarter of the time since 2000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

And you believe Mitch is that? I am not so sure and that is my concern.

I'm not sure either, but you SEEMED to be saying that if Mitch end up being like a top fifteen guy instead of a top five guy that we might want to discard him and gamble on a truly elite prospect. If I misunderstood, my apologies. 

54 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

You can win it without a Rodgers or Mahomes type, but how often does that happen?

Often? I mean, for real? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm not sure either, but you SEEMED to be saying that if Mitch end up being like a top fifteen guy instead of a top five guy that we might want to discard him and gamble on a truly elite prospect. If I misunderstood, my apologies. 

Often? I mean, for real? 

 

27 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

About a quarter of the time since 2000

I guess it depends on what your definition of "great" is and "often" is. In his prime, Eli was a great clutch QB. Flacco, Johnson, and Foles weren't good overall, I do agree.

Who am I missing? The others are Mahomes, Peyton, Brady, Warner, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Mahomes, Brees, and Wilson

So, 3/20 weren't good. If you want to include Eli, 5/20. To me, 15-25% of the time isn't "often"

Edited by beardown3231

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

I guess it depends on what your definition of "great" is and "often" is. In his prime, Eli was a great clutch QB. Flacco, Johnson, and Foles weren't good overall, I do agree.

Who am I missing? The others are Mahomes, Peyton, Brady, Warner, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Mahomes, Brees, and Wilson

So, 3/20 weren't good. If you want to include Eli, 5/20. To me, 15-25% of the time isn't "often"

Brady skews the count and we'll probably not see his like (and situation) for some time. Eli was never "great" or "clutch", and in Peyton's last appearance he was a shell of himself. So...allowing we're nearer the 25% mark...we can debate whether that means it's often, or not, but that's sort of beside the point. 

If Trubisky ends up in the Stafford--Garropolo range, should the Bears actually kick him to the curb and draft another guy? I'm not sure you do that. (And keep in mind that, as of now, I really don't think that will end up happening, and this is all just for the sake of conversation/argument.) That strategy would seem to be a kind of poor exercise in team building, IMO. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

 

I guess it depends on what your definition of "great" is and "often" is. In his prime, Eli was a great clutch QB. Flacco, Johnson, and Foles weren't good overall, I do agree.

Who am I missing? The others are Mahomes, Peyton, Brady, Warner, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Mahomes, Brees, and Wilson

So, 3/20 weren't good. If you want to include Eli, 5/20. To me, 15-25% of the time isn't "often"

Mitch has also down up big in clutch situations but I don't think he's great either.

We can debate how important having a great qb is, but we can not debate that 5/20 of the last 20 championships have been won with bad to average qb play

I would rather have a great qb as your way more likely to be on the list more than once, Eli excepted. Then again, Rodgers.

The Bears got stuck with a great defense and average qb at best, they have no margin for error. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not ready to give up on Mitch. He has shown some very special play at QB and not everyone is going to figure it out right away. I consider this year 3 for Mitch and it used to be the norm to develop a QB. How long did Rodgers sit behind Favre? I think Mitch can be a very good NFL QB but it is not all on him. Nagy and our WR's need to step up to let him play and to make plays.

Edited by dafreak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm not sure either, but you SEEMED to be saying that if Mitch end up being like a top fifteen guy instead of a top five guy that we might want to discard him and gamble on a truly elite prospect. If I misunderstood, my apologies. 

Often? I mean, for real? 

No I am saying if he is what he is right now which is inconsistent then we can't possibly call him a top 15 QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2020 at 3:37 AM, Madmike90 said:

Having caught up with the first couple of games there is no doubt Trubisky does look better...be is the fact the OL has improved or that he now has a running attack that teams need to respect or be it Trubisky himself who's footwork does look better and he is throwing the ball with more touch consistently than in previous years...the issue is this is the worst thing that could have happened...let me explain...Trubisky looks better but still not the type of QB who is going to win you playoff games on the road when the running game is bogged down...so what do we do at the end of the season? Do we accept he isn't a game winner on his own...pay him $20 million a season and try and add more talent around him...or do we cut bait on a decent to sometimes really good QB in the hope of drafting a game changer who could end up a superstar or a bust? That is the trickiest of all questions when you have a middle of the road QB.

That's the $64,000 Question that needs to be answered over the next 14 games.

IMHO there are a handful of reasons Mitch looks better not the least of which is much better OL play and a run game that's beginning to produce.  He's also made some nice throws into tight windows and learned how to float scoring passes with both touch and accuracy.

But his decision making and his mechanics are still 50/50 at times and he's still slow to come off his first read which is why I believe he faces tight widows at times. These are things that will need to improve as the season goes on or he'll simply plateau again far short of playing to the level we need him to be at.

We have a good defense but not so good we can hold every team we play below 20 points.  We need to be hanging 27-30 points a game on weaker teams with consistency if we ever hope to do it against better defenses.  Can't do that when we get shut out for half a game.

We need better decision making out of both Mitch and Nagy and far more of a killer instinct to put a boot on our opponents neck and put games out of reach in the 2nd half.  Put them in a position where they have to throw against our pass rush and our secondary and play aggressively on both sides of the ball.

This isn't the 20th century any longer where you could sit on a 10 point lead for 2 Qs and let your defense shut the other guys down.  To win the NFCN we need to beat GB and right now we simply don't match up.  They've improved their defense and have a run game now as well.  It's not all Aaron Rodgers now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

 

I guess it depends on what your definition of "great" is and "often" is. In his prime, Eli was a great clutch QB. Flacco, Johnson, and Foles weren't good overall, I do agree.

Who am I missing? The others are Mahomes, Peyton, Brady, Warner, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Mahomes, Brees, and Wilson

So, 3/20 weren't good. If you want to include Eli, 5/20. To me, 15-25% of the time isn't "often"

It is better to have a great QB, but history has shown a middling QB with a great team can get to a super bowl and win it.  

I don’t think anyone takes from that they should stop looking for a great QB.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cousins is getting pressured and his teams isn’t as good around him on offense and defense.  He has gone from okay player who is occasionally good to bum.  

Amazing how that works.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Data services have Bears with only 1 drop (Miller), but if I jump way too early, stop my route, run wrong route or fall down, that is same practical effect as a drop.

Sometimes it's worse.  And any time I get a full hand on meat of a ball that is a drop at NFL level.

This data point is not telling whole or correct story at all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Data services have Bears with only 1 drop (Miller), but if I jump way too early, stop my route, run wrong route or fall down, that is same practical effect as a drop.

Sometimes it's worse.  And any time I get a full hand on meat of a ball that is a drop at NFL level.

This data point is not telling whole or correct story at all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

We have way more than 1 drop if one is honestly watching this team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...