The Vikings could end up with the #1 pick

Uncle Buck

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

So they can...still try and find a franchise QB to turn around that team?

Sorry, but I don't see any team trading a pick that lands them a generational QB regardless of a team tossing multiple 1sts/2nds at you. QB is the one position in sports that can completely turn the tide of an organization...one in which the Jets have lacked for a long time.

The team with the #1 pick not only won't make the trade, they'll laugh at the proposals. There is value at the extremes that overwhelms any draft value chart, or conventional wisdom.

Even if Lawrence doesn't fully pan out you have to approach it as if he will. Dominant in high school and college. He has less than ideal touch and is a bit reckless while running. Who cares? This isn't a composite kit where you grab bag of one ideal trait after another. When it's your turn on top you take the most aggressive swing. 

Besides, once you know you have the golden ticket to Lawrence then everything changes. You have your pick of head coaches, maybe even Urban Meyer

1 hour ago, Awsi Dooger said:

The team with the #1 pick not only won't make the trade, they'll laugh at the proposals. There is value at the extremes that overwhelms any draft value chart, or conventional wisdom.

Even if Lawrence doesn't fully pan out you have to approach it as if he will. Dominant in high school and college. He has less than ideal touch and is a bit reckless while running. Who cares? This isn't a composite kit where you grab bag of one ideal trait after another. When it's your turn on top you take the most aggressive swing. 

Besides, once you know you have the golden ticket to Lawrence then everything changes. You have your pick of head coaches, maybe even Urban Meyer

The only thing is that the Jets seem to be brutally bad in just about every area.  Can they be sure that Darnold is a bust, and can they be sure that an upgrade to Trevor Lawrence would actually change anything?  I know that QB is a very important position, but nobody can make chicken salad out of chicken droppings.  I really can't answer these questions because I haven't seen any Jets games for quite a while.

While we're at it, here is a question that might be easier to answer because Trevor Lawrence is still an unknown.  The question is, IF WE COULD HAVE TAKEN PATRICK MAHOMES FROM THE CHIEFS AND PUT HIM IN DARNOLD'S SITUATION STARTING FOR THE JETS THIS SEASON, HOW MANY GAMES WOULD THE JETS HAVE WON?  It's an interesting thing to think about.

Edited by Uncle Buck

4 hours ago, pf9 said:

As a fan of Notre Dame, Ohio State, and the Packers, I do NOT want Lawrence playing in the NFC North. It belongs to the Packers, and I will not stand for any team trying to take control of the division away from the Packers.

That post made me puke 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

The question is, IF WE COULD HAVE TAKEN PATRICK MAHOMES FROM THE CHIEFS AND PUT HIM IN DARNOLD'S SITUATION STARTING FOR THE JETS THIS SEASON, HOW MANY GAMES WOULD THE JETS HAVE WON?  It's an interesting thing to think about.

Great QBs like Mahomes elevate the players around them. 
Enough that in that alternate universe people would be talking about the great TE C.Herndon? Hmmm probably not, that's a stretch...
But I bet they would play around .500 and we'd be talking about how good Crowder is. 
(That is all assuming Adam Gase isn't the coach - no player can espace that blackhole of ineptitude)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TENINCH said:
8 hours ago, pf9 said:

As a fan of Notre Dame, Ohio State, and the Packers, I do NOT want Lawrence playing in the NFC North. It belongs to the Packers, and I will not stand for any team trying to take control of the division away from the Packers.

That post made me puke 

i know, right?

ohio state????

19 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Sorry, but I don't see any team trading a pick that lands them a generational QB regardless of a team tossing multiple 1sts/2nds at you. QB is the one position in sports that can completely turn the tide of an organization...one in which the Jets have lacked for a long time.

Wasn't Darnold supposed to be that guy? The Jets gave up a ton of resources to get him - they moved from 6th to 3rd, gave the Colts a ton of assets that eventually built up that defense.

I don't disagree with your sentiment, but are the Jets not heading down a path of ruin for Trevor Lawrence?

Let's be real here - this Jets team is the worst collection of offensive talent since the 2002-2003 Expansion Texans. Becton might be the only guy who'd get a starter gig on any other team. Herndon, Crowder and Mims would get some PT on another team. The rest of that roster is XFL quality at best.

Trevor Lawrence couldn't even overcome that, IMO.

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Wasn't Darnold supposed to be that guy? The Jets gave up a ton of resources to get him - they moved from 6th to 3rd, gave the Colts a ton of assets that eventually built up that defense.

I don't disagree with your sentiment, but are the Jets not heading down a path of ruin for Trevor Lawrence?

Let's be real here - this Jets team is the worst collection of offensive talent since the 2002-2003 Expansion Texans. Becton might be the only guy who'd get a starter gig on any other team. Herndon, Crowder and Mims would get some PT on another team. The rest of that roster is XFL quality at best.

Trevor Lawrence couldn't even overcome that, IMO.

Darnold wasn't close to the prospect that Lawrence is imo. He also isn't going to have the same guys surrounding him (FO/coach) as the Jets did for Darnold. He gave him an incompetent GM and a proven terrible HC in Gase (how he got a job after Miami is insane to me).

You gotta keep trying. It's not a great situation right now, no doubt. But you don't pass on the best QB prospect since Luck (and some may even like Lawrence more). He is the type that can elevate a whole team. Although it's a bad setup he'd he going into, I think changing that staff to a competent one (which you'd be a top 3 destination with Lawrence in the fold) would go a long, long way. Just toss all the rest of the draft at offense/continue helping in FA.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Darnold wasn't close to the prospect that Lawrence is imo. He also isn't going to have the same guys surrounding him (FO/coach) as the Jets did for Darnold. He gave him an incompetent GM and a proven terrible HC in Gase (how he got a job after Miami is insane to me).

I get all of that - I'm one of the bigger Trevor Lawrence Stans on the site. But, are you really setting Lawrence up for success with Breshad Perriman and Jameson Crowder? You have to really look at this roster and wonder if anyone could thrive here.

I'll be honest - my hope is less about what's best for the Jets and moreso what's best for Lawrence. I would 100% endorse returning for his Senior year or pulling off an Eli/Elway to stay away from NYJ. 

21 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I get all of that - I'm one of the bigger Trevor Lawrence Stans on the site. But, are you really setting Lawrence up for success with Breshad Perriman and Jameson Crowder? You have to really look at this roster and wonder if anyone could thrive here.

I'll be honest - my hope is less about what's best for the Jets and moreso what's best for Lawrence. I would 100% endorse returning for his Senior year or pulling off an Eli/Elway to stay away from NYJ. 

I get that. Like I said, it's not ideal. But not many QBs who are viewed as franchise guys have a great situation their walking into. Coming out next year and going to #1 overall is likely better, but just how much? The Bengals have an atrocious OL and have been largley getting Burrow killed. More weapons of course, but...

I get what you're saying though. As a Lawrence fan I wouldn't want him there either. Just saying when you're that good you may be surprised... especially if they pair him with a Bienimy or some other effective young offensive mind.

25 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

We're going to need it.  A LOT of it.

You would need an act of god.  Minny isnt losing out, and I cant see the Jets winning more than 1 game.

Minny might be in position for a QB, but it wont be Trevor.