The Vikings could end up with the #1 pick

Uncle Buck

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

This is easy. You take Lawrence.  History shows this is the smart move. Cowboys Jimmy Johnson had Troy Aikman. They has a supplemental Draft and he took Steve Walsh. Let them battle it out TA won, traded Walsh for a boat load.

There is always a team that will take a chance on a young highly drafted QB. EX Jet QB  how the heck can you evaluate him when he is on the Jets and HC Case. We can put him in our system and we have the players that will make him shine. Think Vikings and Cousins.

Jimmy did have Aikman, but would he have been able to build the dynasty he did without the Herschel Walker trade?  He was in a  position where he had a bunch of picks and kept trading out of them to create even more picks.  As great as Jimmy Johnson was as a coach, would Aikman and his usual number of draft picks been enough to get the job done?  I could see a guy going into New York thinking, I can work with Darnold, trade the #1 pick, and build a dynasty just like Jimmy Johnson did.  It might be a stupid thing to do, but there are plenty of guys out there with that big of an ego. 

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

What team, with a generational QB available, trades out of that opportunity? That's literally what takes terrible franchises out of the cellars/turns around a franchise.

Unless the Falcons get it (who I still think would take Lawrence) or Darnold goes on a run (which would in turn take them out of 1st overall), a team isn't trading out of that lol.

We're 6 games into the season. I don't see that Vikings team going 1-15 or 2-14, despite their issues. That feat isn't normal even for bad teams. Has to be incompetency/next level terrible to pull off a season like that.

Any competent team would go with Lawrence.  The thing is, there are a few organizations out there who have shown that they just aren't very competent.  Something has to be broken to be bad year after year after year.  That is not the case with all of the teams who are in contention right now, but there are a couple at the top who might fall into that category. 

You're probably right about the Vikings, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway.  Gotta have something to cheer for this year.  :)

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

Any competent team would go with Lawrence.  The thing is, there are a few organizations out there who have shown that they just aren't very competent.  Something has to be broken to be bad year after year after year.  That is not the case with all of the teams who are in contention right now, but there are a couple at the top who might fall into that category. 

You're probably right about the Vikings, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway.  Gotta have something to cheer for this year.  :)

Although I get teams are bad, even bad organizations can see stuff like this. Eerily similar to the Colts who were atrocious and landed Luck. There was zero chance they were passing on that opportunity even with incompetent Grigson in at GM.

Their GM (who will be their GM when they draft) has no ties to Darnold and didn't hire Gase. Not sure if he'll be the answer but Douglas hasn't been the one that got them into this situation exactly.

But I get what your saying. As a Jags fan I'm in the same boat. We'll have 4 picks in the top 40-45 with normal picks in the future and I don't think we if tossed it all at the Jets they'd take it either...but hey, I guess weird things can happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Although I get teams are bad, even bad organizations can see stuff like this. Eerily similar to the Colts who were atrocious and landed Luck. There was zero chance they were passing on that opportunity even with incompetent Grigson in at GM.

Their GM (who will be their GM when they draft) has no ties to Darnold and didn't hire Gase. Not sure if he'll be the answer but Douglas hasn't been the one that got them into this situation exactly.

But I get what your saying. As a Jags fan I'm in the same boat. We'll have 4 picks in the top 40-45 with normal picks in the future and I don't think we if tossed it all at the Jets they'd take it either...but hey, I guess weird things can happen.

How about if a team offered you three first round picks and maybe a couple of players? 

20 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

How about if a team offered you three first round picks and maybe a couple of players? 

As a fan of a team who hasn't had a franchise QB, probably ever (Brunell was good with the Jaguars but...), no I would not.

Too hard to find. Gonna have to do some next level sorcery to mess up Lawrence imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

As a fan of a team who hasn't had a franchise QB... probably ever (Brunelle was good with the Jaguars but...), no I would not.

Too hard to find. Gonna have to do some next level sorcery to mess up Lawrence imo.

I agree with you.  I wouldn't give him up for that either.  We may have to just hope there are a couple of "BoB-caliber" GM's up at the top if we don't make it.  On another note, if the Vikings don't get the #1 pick, I'm hoping you guys do.  I'm on the verge of jumping ship on the Vikings after 50 years of watching the Vikings blow chance after chance and come up empty, and the Jags are one of the teams I've been thinking of becoming a fan of.  I was actually hoping your current QB was going to turn into a great one.  He is a fun character.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I agree with you.  I wouldn't give him up for that either.  We may have to just hope there are a couple of "BoB-caliber" GM's up at the top if we don't make it.  On another note, if the Vikings don't get the #1 pick, I'm hoping you guys do.  I'm on the verge of jumping ship on the Vikings after 50 years of watching the Vikings blow chance after chance and come up empty, and the Jags are one of the teams I've been thinking of becoming a fan of.  I was actually hoping your current QB was going to turn into a great one.  He is a fun character.

Can't say I'd ever recommend this torture, but we'd be happy to have you.

• Like 1

I’ve noticed a trend of Vikings fans talking themselves into the ending of trading up to get Lawrence. First, I don’t see any team dumb enough to trade up Lawrence. Second, I would think Jax would be able to offer the best package. We will probably be picking top 3, we have the Rams first, two seconds (including Minnesota’s) and likely a high first rounder next year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Jimmy did have Aikman, but would he have been able to build the dynasty he did without the Herschel Walker trade?  He was in a  position where he had a bunch of picks and kept trading out of them to create even more picks.  As great as Jimmy Johnson was as a coach, would Aikman and his usual number of draft picks been enough to get the job done?  I could see a guy going into New York thinking, I can work with Darnold, trade the #1 pick, and build a dynasty just like Jimmy Johnson did.  It might be a stupid thing to do, but there are plenty of guys out there with that big of an ego. 

I agree 100000%  Also the trade was the backbone for the Cowboys success.  My comment is based solely on picking Lawrence. IMO Jimmy is one of the best ever and like I said he basically left a blue print on what to do with Lawrence.

Also I can't answer the hypothetical question "usual picks" No one will ever know. I know one thing he sure could pick talent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

He wouldn't have to - he could pull an Andrew Luck/Justin Herbert and return for his Senior season.

I know he declared, but it's not like he's hired an agent yet - he could reverse course and go back to Clemson.

If he's really not interested in whoever holds #1, that's his best option.

Just throwing this out there. He could be looking at the Jets or Giants both New York teams. He's in the mecca of Capitalism  and if he turn them into a winner! WOW.  He stays in school he could end up in  in a small market town and a loser organization.

I know the reply would be the Jets and Giants are losers however they are in NY!

As a fan of Notre Dame, Ohio State, and the Packers, I do NOT want Lawrence playing in the NFC North. It belongs to the Packers, and I will not stand for any team trying to take control of the division away from the Packers.

17 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Just throwing this out there. He could be looking at the Jets or Giants both New York teams. He's in the mecca of Capitalism  and if he turn them into a winner! WOW.  He stays in school he could end up in  in a small market town and a loser organization.

I know the reply would be the Jets and Giants are losers however they are in NY!

He could think that New York is a complete disaster area too though.  I know some people think being in NY is a selling point, but there are plenty of others around the country who think it is a knock against a team.  After the events of the last 6 months, I wouldn't blame him at all if he did feel that way.  The same could also be said for Minnesota too, though.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, m haynes said:

That's a double edged sword - that NY media will eat him alive if he doesn't win immediately. We're only three and one year removed from Sam Darnold and Daniel Jones going top 10; Darnold was highly regarded, but that media machine completely chewed him up and spit him out - despite not having a remotely functional offense around him.

Let's be real here, NYJs offense is absolutely atrocious, perhaps the worst collection of players outside of the expansion Texans in 2002 - Becton is probably the only guy who could start on another team, I'd wager that no other guy makes 4th string anyone else. Chris Herndon might be a reserve TE somewhere else, Jameson Crowder would get snaps in the slot, Denzel Mims would get WR4 snaps - the rest of this offense, I doubt even makes a 53 man roster anywhere else.

How is that on Darnold? But, if you were to listen to NY media, you'd think he's a disaster in the same vein of a Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf...

Danny Dimes started off well and us going through a standard sophomore slump - very much like above, he's already been ejected by the NY media. 

So, you have to take the bad with the good on this. Specific to NYJ, I go back to school... Giants? I'd maybe consider.

• Like 4

Even though I follow two 1-5 teams, I'm a realist. I don't care about Trevor Lawrence right now. Why drive myself crazy coveting a talent I can't have until April, and probably won't get anyway? It's not healthy IMO. Neither is all the talk about "tanking" for that matter. It's self-defeating, and the Vikings are suffering enough defeat as is. 

• Like 1