2020 Week Three GDT Steelers vs. Texans

Steeler Hitman

48 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think it's going to be a good game. The Texans have played the two best teams in the AFC to start. The Steelers have beaten two of the worst. Deshaun Watson is a stud, the WR core is good. David Johnson isn't completely washed. The Defense still has JJ Watt and some tough pass rushers. I definitely don't think this is going to be a blowout. 

I appreciate the kind thoughts - it isn't that the Texans lost to the two best teams in football, it's that they got the doors blown off of them - they had no business being on the same field as the Chiefs/Ravens. 

It could be a good thing, if you're in it for the long haul (such as me) because it's becoming apparent that the current regime of HC Bill O'Brien and GM William O'Brien III are in over their head - a resounding Steelers win would put the Texans at 0-3, and the narrative of the Texans being several tiers below the elite AFC teams would be basically set in stone. Any SB aspirations would die in essence - because it would prove the Texans can't do much more than beat up on Jacksonville and Indianapolis (and even those aren't a given nowadays). The issue isn't talent (not completely at least) the issue is preparation; That's an indictment on Bill O'Brien and his staff. William O'Brien gets low marks because he had a talented team two years ago, but has reformed it with no real plan in place; It's just random decisions made with little direction.

My only real hope in this game is Deshaun Watson doesn't get hurt. The OL is a major concern (even with all of the resources dumped into it) and can't manage a four man rush, let alone the full on blitz of Pittsburgh. I'm sure TJ Watt is eager to get one up on JJ, so he'll be going full bore on Tytus Howard, who had significantly declined from last season. Both Howard and Max Scharping have taken steps backwards from their promising rookie seasons, and Zach Fulton has reached his expiration date, so the OL is an issue... again.

27 minutes ago, ET80 said:

* Miami. They own our first and second following the Tunsil trade last off-season.

That's worrisome. You really need to get away from BoB. I don't think the Texans record will be bad enough to give them a top 10 pick though. The line needs time to gel and Watson has a little too much early career Ben is his game. He's going to hold the ball for way too long looking to extend plays. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

You really need to get away from BoB

That's the only victory that can come out of this season. If BoB is the HC/GM this time next season, I'm probably going to focus more on CFB and local HS games to get my football fix; BoB has sucked the life out of the city when it comes to football...

On 9/25/2020 at 10:45 AM, ET80 said:

That's the only victory that can come out of this season. If BoB is the HC/GM this time next season, I'm probably going to focus more on CFB and local HS games to get my football fix; BoB has sucked the life out of the city when it comes to football...

I think the Texans win and roll off 11 straight wins en route to a division round loss and a 4 year BoB extension.

On 9/25/2020 at 8:44 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

I think it's going to be a good game.

I think this will be a good game. I also believe that it is one  game that I would like to see the Steelers take the next step forward as well. I want to see the offense get off to a fast start and play a good consistent 60 minutes of football. We haven't seen that since the game against Carolina in 2018. I would like to see the Steelers offense take an opening game drive for a TD. Been a long time since that happened. Set the tone and do not turn the ball over and continue their turnover every game history/stat.

The Texans have played the two best teams in the AFC to start. The Steelers have beaten two of the worst.

I think the Steelers are a better football team than we may be giving them credit for being. They have not played their best football and won. That hasn't always happened. Offensive ineptness, penalties and turnovers have made both games closer than they really were or should have been. The Steelers run defense was lights out against the Giants and made solid adjustments against Denver. The success of the back-up should not be a surprise as Mason and Duck were hot early as well and when they came in off the bench typically. Teams prepare for the starter and when you get a back-up with nothing to lose, you have some success. Take away a few of the untimely penalties  (roughing passer on 3rd and ten incompletion) and phantom pass interference calls both games and the games are not as close on the scoreboard.

No doubt that the Ravens and Chiefs are the best two teams in the AFC and probably NFL right now. The Steelers however, are probably better than we give them credit for as well. This game should be another test. It is a no win situation for Pittsburgh from a credibility standpoint. If they win they beat three bad  winless teams. If they lose, they aren't that good anyway. Good teams should beat teams that are struggling or not as good overall talent wise. Throw in home field (although not really as much an advantage with no fans). This is a game the Steelers should win. The Chiefs and Ravens are not good match-ups for any of the other 30 teams either. 

Deshaun Watson is a stud, the WR core is good. David Johnson isn't completely washed. The Defense still has JJ Watt and some tough pass rushers. I definitely don't think this is going to be a blowout. 

For the Steelers it usually comes down to turnovers and penalties. Again, if they can play some mistake free or mistake minimal football, they should win and win with some breathing room (I.E. not needing a 4th down sack and a59 yard run at the end to run out the clock). Don't forget the Steelers were up 17 -3 at halftime. Got a great KOR by Ray Ray McCloud near mid-field with a great opportunity to score points or at worst flip the field and pin Denver back deep only for the Steelers to throw an INT with a great return. The defense holds and instead of getting the ball back near midfield, going up 20-3 or 24 - 3, the team gives up 3 points and it's 17-6. Next after getting the ball back on a horrible no-call on a hold of Eric Ebron the Broncos get the ball back at the Steelers 35 and go downfield and score thanks to two defensive calls (pass interference and roughing the passer) 17-14.

Steelers offense then marches down and scores a TD on a Big Ben TD pass to Dionte Johnson. The defense then holds and special teams forces a safety in the fourth quarter. Steelers are now up 26-14. Steelers get the ball back and the first play Benny Snell fumbles and Denver gets the ball back near midfield. They go down and score a TD again making it 26-21 (aided by another mystery pass interference call on a second and one).

Steelers offense goes three and out and Denver now has life and momentum. We know the end result. Was the game a product of Denver playing on the same level with or outplaying the Steelers or did the Steelers do more self-inflicted damage in the second half that made the game much closer than it really was?

One game and team has nothing to do with the other. However, if Pittsburgh doesn't make mistakes like this against the Texans; they should be able to play with and outplay the Texans here at home. Turnovers and penalties have hurt the Steelers offense and overall team effectiveness.  

Here is my just on time mock draft:

1. Walker Little    Stanford    OT
2. Marco Wilson        Florida        CB
3. Alec Lindstrom    Boston College    OC
4a.Ifeanyi Maijeh    Temple        NT
4b.Luke Farrell        Ohio State    TE
6. Elijah Moore        Ole Miss    WR
7a. Blake Hayes        Illinois    P
7b. Brendon Radley-Hiles        Oklahoma    CB

1 hour ago, DR43 said:

Here is my just on time mock draft:

1. Walker Little    Stanford    OT
2. Marco Wilson        Florida        CB
3. Alec Lindstrom    Boston College    OC
4a.Ifeanyi Maijeh    Temple        NT
4b.Luke Farrell        Ohio State    TE
6. Elijah Moore        Ole Miss    WR
7a. Blake Hayes        Illinois    P
7b. Brendon Radley-Hiles        Oklahoma    CB

A OT is a good pick first. I feel like it’s one of the few positions we might be looking at early. I also really like the TE from Penn St.