Vikings LB Anthony Barr tears pec; out for season

RaidersAreOne

This should please the tank for Trev crowd. I believe there are more people that think we'll get a high draft pick without tanking. This will make it higher.

Then there is the reality that an important player on defense is out injured. I think that stinks, even if it helps our draft pick in a year where we did not look like a playoff team.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

As I just told someone at work, I'm almost in favor of them trying to shoot some darts defensively at the wall and run a hybrid 3-4 with Yannick running out as the pass-rushing LBer.  

They have to try something, but where are they going to find 4 LBers for this even playing Ngakoue as one of them? They then have Kendricks and nobody else notable for the third and fourth LB spots.

darn. sucks for Barr hope he recovers and gets back to form.

the defense is going to be extremely rough now particularly in the run game. have had no push from the DTs and now we will be more than likely be playing two undersized linebackers next to Kendricks. he was also our best blitzing lb/pass rushing lb, and that is another element of zimmer's scheme likely lost now.  I don't think Barr is a super special talent but this is a big loss considering how much he is asked to do and who will be replacing him.  given our schedule coming up we might start around 1-6? wonder what what the ramifications of that could be.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

They have to try something, but where are they going to find 4 LBers for this even playing Ngakoue as one of them? They then have Kendricks and nobody else notable for the third and fourth LB spots.

You do have the numbers to pull it off, especially since you have Blake Lynch and Hardy Nickerson on the PS, if necessary. I'd just put Wilson and Dye/Connelly out there as the 3rd/4th and see what the hell happens.  I know it's been tried before, but theoretically, at his size, Hercules should be able to fill a LB role as well.  They can get creative.      

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

You do have the numbers to pull it off, especially since you have Blake Lynch and Hardy Nickerson on the PS, if necessary. I'd just put Wilson and Dye/Connelly out there as the 3rd/4th and see what the hell happens.  I know it's been tried before, but theoretically, at his size, Hercules should be able to fill a LB role as well.  They can get creative.      

I am open to all ideas on defense so while the LBers you mention don't look all that inspiring to me it may be worth giving is a shot. That is better than sticking with the same things we have already watched fail. I would rather watch something else -- sink or swim.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I am all for trying things but this doesn't feel like Zimmer's M.O. For lack of a better term, he seems too stubborn to abandon what he has been accustomed to for his entire tenure here. 

3 minutes ago, erickendricks4pf said:

I am all for trying things but this doesn't feel like Zimmer's M.O. For lack of a better term, he seems too stubborn to abandon what he has been accustomed to for his entire tenure here. 

Oh, it's certainly not his M.O. at all...he's likely going to just try to improve what they are already doing, but I'd like to see him just throw caution to the wind...at least once. 

1 minute ago, TENINCH said:

We could have and should have drafted Aaron Donald.

Maybe they should have, but it still turned out alright.  FWIW, that was pre-career ending surgery to Floyd and they also had Linval at the time.  It was completely understandable why they did that.  

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Maybe they should have, but it still turned out alright.  FWIW, that was pre-career ending surgery to Floyd and they also had Linval at the time.  It was completely understandable why they did that.  

Yeah it's just the luck we get with being Vikings fans. Tony Sparano death, Floyd injury, Bridgewater injury, and the Favre injury in Title Game. Something always happens.

Floyd was getting to be a really good player too.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Yeah it's just the luck we get with being Vikings fans. Tony Sparano death, Floyd injury, Bridgewater injury, and the Favre injury in Title Game. Something always happens.

Floyd was getting to be a really good player too.

I know him personally. He coaches the defense on the Ben Franklin high school football team. He shoulda been special if it wasnt for that nerve damage.

• Like 2