Have the 49ers been hit by the injury bug the hardest in league history?

RaidersAreOne

According to FO's average games lost metric, which I think is the best way to compare "injury luck" among teams, 49ers have been riddled w/ injuries Shanny's entire tenure. Something worth noting. 2018 they were the 3rd most injured team, 2019 they were the 6th most injured team, and now it is looking like they will be at least top 3, probably #1.  That is not "bad luck" at this point, there's a problem there, whether it's their medical staff, nutrition, practices, the players they sign, etc. A question I'd love to know the answer to as an Eagles fan as well. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

According to FO's average games lost metric, which I think is the best way to compare "injury luck" among teams, 49ers have been riddled w/ injuries Shanny's entire tenure. Something worth noting. 2018 they were the 3rd most injured team, 2019 they were the 6th most injured team, and now it is looking like they will be at least top 3, probably #1.  That is not "bad luck" at this point, there's a problem there, whether it's their medical staff, nutrition, practices, the players they sign, etc. A question I'd love to know the answer to as an Eagles fan as well. 

They overhauled the medical staff before the 2019 season but it seems to have gotten worse. I'm guessing another overhaul to the medical staff is coming this offseason. Whether that works or not, who knows. 

Anyways, the Niners season is done at this point. The injuries are now insurmountable. Time to retool and hopefully come back healthy for 2021

Edited by 49ersfan

Might be a blessing in disguise for them like last time... they were like a 9 win football type team back in 2018 but Jimmy injured again resulting in 4-12, #2 Pick, and Nick Bosa which helped propel them to a Super Bowl.

If they finish 7-9 with a Top 10 Pick or so, they can get a quality linemen on either side of the ball, quality corner, a guy like Parsons or Moses, or even a QB upgrade considering Jimmy is a Middle of the Pack QB. Which isn't as slight against Jimmy, but if you sat and ranked all the QBs in the NFL right now, no way Jimmy is any higher than 16-17.

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

What do you think of rating losses by % of salary cap? As we all know losing a 3rd string TE =/= losing your #1 DE. 

Obviously the downside is people on rookie contracts can be a bigger loss than accounted for. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I wonder if it has anything to do with the Niners practicing on grass and then having an insane amount of injuries whenever they play on turf? Not saying there aren't injuries at home, because there are. But we have had quite a bit of injuries anytime we play on turf. The NY trip was especially bad. 

I'm really not sure what the issue is. These injuries are ridiculous. 

5 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Once Jimmy Garoppolo and George Kittle are placed on Injured Reserve, the 49ers will have $80 million dollars worth of cap value on IR this season, per @Epkap.

Should catapult them to #1. It was the Broncos/Cowboys both around ~$60-70m on IR.

12 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

What do you think of rating losses by % of salary cap? As we all know losing a 3rd string TE =/= losing your #1 DE. 

Obviously the downside is people on rookie contracts can be a bigger loss than accounted for. 

AGL takes that into account a players role, don't know the exact weight off hand but 1 game lost from the starting TE >>> 1 game lost from the 2nd string TE in terms of final AGL. 

% of salary cap is definitely a strong measure too, since great players will be weighed appropriately (unless on rookie deal like you said), but does anyone do that for all 32 teams? Would definitely be nice to have that number, and AGL. However, I only see things like "x amount of money is on IR for this team".

• 2 weeks later...