Which quarterback has the worst offensive setup?

TOUCAN

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

What is this based on?  They rank 13th in run block win rate and 24th in pass block win rate so far this season.

Side note: the Dolphins rank last in both.

Guess I haven't seen the Dolphins play at all so that factored in, and our OL has been horrible in pass pro this year. Lamar makes it look better than it is.

I get that Darnold is in a bad situation but he's nowhere near the first QB to have it rough. I've watched 20 years of Browns QBs in horrendous situations with nothing at the skill positions, O-line, coaches, organization, etc... and none of them seemed to generate the kind of sympathy that I've seen given to Darnold. Is it because he's in NY?

I don't exactly feel 'sorry' for him in that sense. It happens and it's gonna continue to happen in the league. Given his situation I don't think he's performed badly at all so I also don't understand the people that want to trash him.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Guess I haven't seen the Dolphins play at all so that factored in, and our OL has been horrible in pass pro this year. Lamar makes it look better than it is.

Pass block win rate is a measure of whether you are able to hold your block for 2.5 seconds, using NextGenStats, so I'm not sure I'd say Lamar has a significant impact on that stat.

Here are the pass-block win rates as of Week 2, for reference:

Team Pass Block Win Rate

1. Green Bay Packers, 78%
2. Chicago Bears, 77%
3. Jacksonville Jaguars, 70%
4. New Orleans Saints, 69%
5. Philadelphia Eagles, 67%
6. Buffalo Bills, 67%
7. Cleveland Browns, 65%
8. Arizona Cardinals, 64%
9. Detroit Lions, 63%
10. Indianapolis Colts, 62%
11. Los Angeles Chargers, 62%
12. Seattle Seahawks, 61%
13. Tennessee Titans, 60%
14. Dallas Cowboys, 58%
14. New England Patriots, 58%
16. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 57%
17. Los Angeles Rams, 56%
18. Atlanta Falcons, 56%
19. Pittsburgh Steelers, 56%
20. Carolina Panthers, 54%
21. Cincinnati Bengals, 54%
22. San Francisco 49ers, 54%
23. Las Vegas Raiders, 52%
24. Baltimore Ravens, 51%
25. Minnesota Vikings, 50%
26. Washington Football Team, 49%
27. Kansas City Chiefs, 47%
28. New York Giants, 45%
29. New York Jets, 43%
30. Denver Broncos, 42%
31. Houston Texans, 39%
32. Miami Dolphins, 38%

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

What is this based on?  They rank 13th in run block win rate and 24th in pass block win rate so far this season.

Side note: the Dolphins rank last in both.

I would imagine almost any stat you use will show Miami as dead last in run blocking.  It's pretty terrible.  But the pass protection is considerably better than last.  I'd say somewhere in the middle, which is impressive considering 2 of the starting OL are rookies.  Sacks allowed; pressures; adjusted sack rate; etc all put them around the middle of the pack as well.  

Just now, hrubes20 said:

I would imagine almost any stat you use will show Miami as dead last in run blocking.  It's pretty terrible.  But the pass protection is considerably better than last.  I'd say somewhere in the middle, which is impressive considering 2 of the starting OL are rookies.  Sacks allowed; pressures; adjusted sack rate; etc all put them around the middle of the pack as well.  

Most analysts have come around to viewing sacks as a QB stat rather than an OL stat.  For example, Wentz's OL actually held up well in his season opener against Washington (they ranked 7th in pass block win rate), but 7 of Wentz's 8 sacks came when he held the ball for 4 seconds or longer.  Now, are those sacks and pressures on the QB or the OL?

Fitzpatrick is probably the driving force for the Dolphins' lack of sacks so far this season.  I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable putting Tua back there if I were a Dolphins fan, based on the OL's league-worst pass block win rate.

Most analysts have come around to viewing sacks as a QB stat rather than an OL stat.  For example, Wentz's OL actually held up well in his season opener against Washington (they ranked 7th in pass block win rate), but 7 of Wentz's 8 sacks came when he held the ball for 4 seconds or longer.  Now, are those sacks and pressures on the QB or the OL?

Fitzpatrick is probably the driving force for the Dolphins' lack of sacks so far this season.  I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable putting Tua back there if I were a Dolphins fan, based on the OL's league-worst pass block win rate.

The thing is that the eye test backs up the middle-of-the-road sacks/pressure numbers, though.  Fitz has plenty of time back there this year.  The only truly questionable member of the OL is at RT (Jesse Davis), which does make bringing in Tua (a lefty) a risk at this point.  Need some big improvement on Tua's blindside.  But the rest of the OL is not a concern in pass protection right now.

3 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

The thing is that the eye test backs up the middle-of-the-road sacks/pressure numbers, though.  Fitz has plenty of time back there this year.  The only truly questionable member of the OL is at RT (Jesse Davis), which does make bringing in Tua (a lefty) a risk at this point.  Need some big improvement on Tua's blindside.  But the rest of the OL is not a concern in pass protection right now.

I'll take your word for it.  It's strange though, because pass-block win rate is a wholly objective metric using chip tracking technology in the players' helmets.  

Not sure where the disconnect is.  Although it has Fitzpatrick with the second-fastest "time-to-throw"; so he's getting rid of the ball quicker than nearly everyone else in the league, which may help explain some of it.

I'll take your word for it.  It's strange though, because pass-block win rate is a wholly objective metric using chip tracking technology in the players' helmets.  

Not sure where the disconnect is.  Although it has Fitzpatrick with the second-fastest "time-to-throw"; so he's getting rid of the ball quicker than nearly everyone else in the league, which may help explain some of it.

I think Fitz may be throwing really quickly because he had a historically bad Oline last year.  They were abysmal.  It may take a few weeks before he realizes he can actually go through a few progressions this year without having pass rushers burrying their helmets under his chin.  

On 9/21/2020 at 6:02 PM, JoshstraDaymus said:

I am doing this because I feel terrible for Sam Darnold. My god get him some help.

Who has it the worst though?

It's either Haskins, Darnold or Bridgewater. All of them have a complaint. Bridgewater has less of one because of CMC and potential at WR, but yeah, one of those 3.

4 hours ago, Vee-Rex said:

I get that Darnold is in a bad situation but he's nowhere near the first QB to have it rough. I've watched 20 years of Browns QBs in horrendous situations with nothing at the skill positions, O-line, coaches, organization, etc... and none of them seemed to generate the kind of sympathy that I've seen given to Darnold. Is it because he's in NY?

I don't exactly feel 'sorry' for him in that sense. It happens and it's gonna continue to happen in the league. Given his situation I don't think he's performed badly at all so I also don't understand the people that want to trash him.

Those qbs on the browns were flat out bad and a lot of them had some talent around them.

Has Sam ever had a run game? Last season he had a historically bad ol, this season he has a better OL mainly because it looks like Becton is a legit stud. But his wrs are xfl caliber. And he has a HC who truly is pathetic. 

Like how does a NFL team have s 37 year old starting at RB? I.hope they give perine some looks at rb otherwise gase really does suck.

On 9/23/2020 at 2:56 AM, NYJets4716 said:

watch him go to the steelers and become a star. He has all the makings of a top end qb, but the jets have done everything wrong. I cant watch jets games anymore,  this franchise is a joke and continues to employ a disaster like gase.

Steelers, Saints, Bucs, any team with an aging QB would be a perfect landing spot for Darnold. I have no doubt in my mind that we are one of the worst teams in the league and very well may be picking first overall. 

9 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Worst receiving weapons: Sam Darnold

Worst OL: Russell Wilson, Lamar Jackson (shocking), or Joe Burrow

Overall worst situation: Sam Darnold

Geron Christian 

Wes Martin

Chase Rouillier

Wes Schweitzer

Morgan Moses

I really don’t see how there’s a worse OL than this?