BDL Week 2 - Sacramento Sasquatch @ Camden Hood Rats

Ragnarok

Who wins?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Sacramento Sasquatch
    • Camden Hood Rats

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/24/2020 at 04:00 AM

BDL 2020 Week 2

Match:  Sacramento Sasquatch @ Camden Hood Rats

Away Owner: @Counselor

Home Owner: @Jlash

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Gameplan Sacramento

Offense:

QB- Matt Ryan

RB- Jonathan Taylor

X- Michael Gallup

Z- Henry Ruggs 

Slot- Tyler Boyd

TE- Noah Fant

LT- Terron Armstead

LG- Joe Thuney

C- Garrett Bradbury

RG- Dalton Risner

RT- Rob Havenstein 

RB- JK Dobbins

RB- Antonio Gibson

FB- Alec Ingold

TE- Dawson Knox

WR- Preston Williams

WR- Bryan Edwards

WR- Steven Sims Jr. 

OT- Jedrick Wills Jr. 

Defense:

LE- Sam Hubbard

NT- Vita Vea

UT- Ndamukong Suh

RE- Trey Flowers

WLB- Kenneth Murray

MLB- Joe Schobert

CB- Chidobe Awuzie

CB- CJ Henderson

Nickel- Sean Murphy-Bunting

FS- Jessie Bates

SS- Xavier Woods

DE- Shaq Lawson

DT- Ed Oliver

DE- K’ Lavon Chaisson

DE- Jordan Jenkins

LB- Kyle Van Noy

CB- Bryce Callahan

CB/S- Ceedy Duce

S- Julian Love

Offense (3 Wide Vertical Passing Game and Zone Run Blocking Scheme): 

We are going to allow Matt Ryan to open up the offense and spread the ball around this game. We will utilize a zone run scheme to attack the aggressiveness of the Camden defense, and create a flow of yard gaining push. Off of the zone run game we will utilize play action. We will open with our 3Wide set this week as our base and primary formation. We will incorporate 2TE sets, 4 Wide Sets, and 2 RB sets all through substitutions and motions out of our base 3 Wide Set. Bringing in Knox for Boyd and motioning him inline or leaving him in the slot, or Motioning Fant out as a Big/Slot for a four wide look, or bringing in a back in the slot and motioning to a two back offense. 

Spread the Ball with Route Combos and Utilize Play Action:

We will look to utilize the different strengths of our receiving targets to attack various levels of the defense. We will mix in, formation side alternating combos this game. Meaning one side attacks Mid to Deep (via Seams, Posts, Corners, Verticals) while the other side attacks intermediate to Mid (Slants, Arrows, Drags, Ins, Outs, Curls). In addition to our regular combo routes attacking different depths of the defense on the same side with our routes. We want to keep a very good Camden secondary and LBer corps on their toes with our route combinations and attack using the width of the field as well as vertical. We utilize play action off of our run game to get the ball to our underneath routes as well as get some shots deep behind coverage. When the run is successfully pulling the defense forward we will be able to get our shots behind them with the play action. In our Base offense, we will utilize newly acquired Michael Gallup’s all around game as our X receiver and he will operate on the side of the TE. Henry Ruggs will play our Z on the outside of the slot played by Tyler Boyd. Noah Fant will play the majority of snaps at TE in 1 TE sets, with Dawson Knox as TE2. We will motion our TE in and out of a slot position to determine coverage as well as utilize matchups as a big slot. 

X Factors:

We have some mismatch pieces on our offense that we believe give us an advantage. We call them our X Factors. Fant will see plenty of drags to get him in space against the LBers and Safeties, as well as attack the seams behind Adams, when he lines up closer to the line of scrimmage. We want to get Ruggs heavily involved in our passing game this week mixing in quick passes giving him slants and screens as opportunities to break huge plays, as well as spreading out the defense with deeper routes. If Ruggs can’t go this week, Steven Sims, another explosive receiver will fill his role. We will utilize our RB’s in two ways as additional blockers to chip and release as safety valves if Camden is bringing Adams or linebackers on blitzes regularly. The other way is to motion out to an empty formation and run some quick hitting routes to take advantage of an overaggressive defense. 

Running Game:

We are going to once again deploy a running back by committee. This week we are looking to split the carry percentage between the three rookies, Jonathan Taylor, JK Dobbins, and Antonio Gibson. Taylor and Dobbins will split the load 35% each with Gibson picking up the other 30% and acting mainly as a 3rd down back. We will run a zone blocking scheme allowing our backs to read blocks and hit holes. We will utilize the zone scheme to create a moving wall allowing getting our athletic line and TE’s into the second level creating large gains. When we bring in our Big Slot in Knox with Fant inline, we will at times motion to a 2TE set and use the TE’s to kick out allowing our backs to gash inside the A-C gaps or seal LBer’s inside to get outside in the D gap, while other times keeping Knox in the slot and having him crash down into the second level while the line flows to his side. We will have some sets with 2 RB’s and create a balance in our zone with our non ball carrying back acting as a FB or a misdirection. 

Defense (Nickel Base 4-2-5): 

We will deploy a Nickel Base against their 3 Wide, and utilize a 4-3 Under against sets with less than 3 WR (including Big Slots as a WR) with Kyle Van Noy entering the game as SLB. Against 4 Wide Bryce Callahan will replace Xavier Woods.

Press Man Coverage Single High:

We are going to change our coverage up this week and rely heavily on a man coverage scheme. We are promoting Rookie CJ Henderson to starting outside corner this week and he will be tasked with covering DeAndre Hopkins. We will utilize Jessie Bates as a single high safety shaded always to Hopkins side to help the rookie. Chidobe Awuzie will cover the #2 WR (AJ Brown is day to day), and Sean Murphy Bunting will cover the Slot Receiver regardless if he is a WR or TE. Xavier Woods will line up in the box like a 3rd backer and will man the TE, while Joe Schobert mans on Zeke. Kenneth Murray is the starting WLB this week and he will have a versatile role on defense. Murray will assist Schobert in bracketing Zeke, play QB spy disrupting anything coming across his face, as well as being sent on blitzes depending on the play call. Against a 4 Wide we will replace our SS with a Dime Corner and still play with 2 LBers in the formation to respect the running ability of Russ and Zeke. 

Funnel Everything Inside:

The Strength of our Dline is its run stopping ability, particularly in the middle with Vita Vea and Ndamukong Suh. We want to prevent Russ and Zeke from getting outside on us, and will scheme our DE’s to turn plays inside to the meat of our Dline through their alignment and beating the T/TE to their outside hip keeping their outside arm/half of body free. We will align our slot WR side (Weak Side) DE as a 5 Tech and our TE side (Strong Side) DE head up on the TE.. With the DE lining head up on the TE it will allow Woods time to read the play. The TE side DT will be the NT and he will line up over the G, and he will two gap the A gap and B gap to that side, freeing Schobert to roam and attack, and support Woods who has the C gap on the TE side. If they motion the TE out to the slot, the DE will have C gap, and Schobert takes B gap, with the NT 1 gapping that A gap. On The Weak Side the UT will have A gap, Murray B gap, and the DE C gap. We will play gap disciplined to not blow open any run lanes for Zeke. If they align the slot WR to the TE side the only change is the Nickel Corner follows the Slot. In the 4-3 Gaps will remain with Van Noy filling Woods gaps assignments, and Woods being able to be more freelance. 

SQUATCH STRONG! 

Camden

QB- Russell Wilson
RB- Ezekiel Elliott
WR- DeAndre Hopkins
WR- Cooper Kupp
WR- KJ Hamler
TE- Rob Gronkowski
LT- Isaiah Wynn
LG- Forrest Lamp
C- Cody Whitehair
RG- Trai Turner
RT- Orlando Brown Jr
WR- Quintez Cephus
WR- John Hightower
OL- Jason Peters
OL- Tyre Phillips
OL- Chase Roullier

DE- Yannick Ngakoue
DT- Dexter Lawrence
DT- Poona Ford
DE- Maxx Crosby
LB- Darius Leonard
LB- Jaylon Smith
CB- Denzel Ward
CB- Darqueze Dennard
CB- Avonte Maddox
S- Justin Reid
S- Jamal Adams
DT- Neville Gallimore
CB- L'Jarius Sneed
CB- Jimmy Moreland
S- Keanu Neal
S- Deshon Elliott

Offense
This week we get the Sassy Squashes coming off a loss that they feel was unjust, so surely they'll be motivated to get after us. They bring a solid defense with physical players all around, but with how soft their owner/manager/coach is we think we have a few ways to beat them up. As I sit here listening to 'Victory Lap' by Nipsey Hussle I've devised the following basics to this game plan. 

Force the defensive front to move- Sac's front 4 is mostly comprised of power players, not necessarily quick guys. So getting Russ out on bootlegs and designed roll outs is going to be important in wearing these guys out. We like the athleticism of our much hated on O-line to beat their guys to their spot and create issues for Sac. 

Attack the edges- Another key to wearing these guys out is getting Zeke on the edge, because again making this front chase you side to side is a disadvantage for them. Zeke is fully capable of blasting straight ahead against these guys, but why make it easy? We think with running essentially zone concepts in the ground game, we can make tons of alleys for Zeke to get to the 2nd level where he's a problem for anyone. 

Open the intermediate for Hopkins and Kupp- We're fortunate enough to have two guys who can create havoc in the intermediate part of the field, the key is making sure the defense can't just clog that area up. Today we'll use the threat of deep speed with KJ Hamler and attacking the seam with Gronk and Engram to force the defense to spread out and keep help on the back end or suffer the consequences. We'll take a couple deep shots to Hamler early on just to wake Sac up, and make sure they respect the threat. Getting Gronk/Engram will be used as zone busters if Sac wants to go zone heavy.

Target the Golden Child- Apparently CJ Henderson is the greatest CB in the history of the world, and "has the build to be the best corner in the league" or something like that was mentioned in the main thread. We pray to sweet baby Jesus that Counselor wants to feed the recency bias of the league and put a rookie against route runners like Hopkins or Kupp and not expect Russ to take advantage of it. We'll use the rookies aggressive style against him in the form of double moves and back shoulder throws often if this is the case. And no matter who is involved in coverage, we'll utilize lots of rub concepts again, slants and crossing routes to get our best players the ball quickly. 

Defense (4-3 shallow cloud base)
Like on defense, Sac brings a power element to their game more than anything else. Physical WR's, big strong RB's and two TE sets. It's a different brand of football than most teams in this league but we think we can match up well against them. Here are some of the keys:

Cloud coverages- If counselor does what everyone else does and tries to attack us through the air we're going to utilize a cloud coverage shell on most plays today, and that allows us to run multiple coverages all while looking very similar pre-nap. Every set will start in a cover 2 look, but at the snap we can bring a safety down to utilize our favorite look which is cover 1 robber and let our SS attack, we can run a press-cover 3 if counselor wants to take deep shots or we can stay in the two deep shell and let our corners be aggressive against a WR corps that mostly works the intermediate part of the field with rubs and combos without worry of letting someone past them. We think switching up and playing these 3 coverages won't allow Matt Ryan to get in a groove.

Defending 2 TE sets- Counselor makes it well known he loves his TE's, and if he wants to utilize that against us today we'll be bringing out 3 safety looks to match the physicality along with the athleticism of these guys. In 2 TE sets, we'll run a 4-3 look but we'll have Jamal Adams playing in the 3rd LB spot and Keanu Neal will take on the traditional SS role. Leonard, Smith and Adams will be responsible for defending the two TE's and following the RB. This puts us in the advantageous position of having our best defensive player and playmaker closer to the LOS where all the action is. We saw the impact he made week 1. Expect plenty of blitzing off the edge from Adams, testing those rookie RB's in pass pro early and often. 

Defending 3 WR sets- If counselor wants to go against his teams strength and attempt to spread us out using Ruggs deep play ability, we won't be beat with speed. Ruggs comes in, he gets Denzel Ward. He's the only one on that WR corps that can blow by people, so we'll match speed for speed and that happens to also be our best CB. Dennard will get Boyd, and Preston Williams gets Maddox/Sneed/Moreland. 

Young Thundercats- The Squashes bring some young blood in the run game, both guys are a good combo of size/speed and have bell cow potential. With the combo of our interior DL, the speed at LB and having potentially both Jamal Adams and Keanu Neal in some situations close to the LOS we think we're up to the challenge those guys present. 

Went Sacramento. They have less starpower but Camden seems a little undermanned which allows Sacramento to key on Camden stars. Gallup addition gives another layer to this offense which is welcomed here especially given Ruggs injury, especially since Camden put its best corner on him and forgot about Gallup. 

1 hour ago, TedLavie said:

and forgot about Gallup.

Sigh.

I don't know who is starting when, and I assumed Preston Williams would be his starter in 3 WR sets. It doesn't change the matchups. If Williams is on the sideline, my 3rd CB doesn't just stand on the field staring blankly.

Ruggs played as many snaps as any other WR on the field for the Raiders yesterday, he wasn't hurt, just ineffective. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

Sigh.

I don't know who is starting when, and I assumed Preston Williams would be his starter in 3 WR sets. It doesn't change the matchups. If Williams is on the sideline, my 3rd CB doesn't just stand on the field staring blankly.

Ruggs played as many snaps as any other WR on the field for the Raiders yesterday, he wasn't hurt, just ineffective. 

Blah blah blah

34 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Sigh.

I'm saying you should have played your best corner on Gallup who is Sacramento best receiver. Not that you left Gallup uncovered 

4 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

I'm saying you should have played your best corner on Gallup who is Sacramento best receiver. Not that you left Gallup uncovered 

Considering Counselor called Ruggs one of his 'x factors' that he wants heavily involved in the passing game ahead Gallup, I'd still say I made the right call. If you didn't watch the Raiders game and just saw practice reports leading up to the week, that's fine. But Ruggs was full go last night, and he's easily their most explosive playmaker. 

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

Considering Counselor called Ruggs one of his 'x factors' that he wants heavily involved in the passing game ahead Gallup, I'd still say I made the right call. If you didn't watch the Raiders game and just saw practice reports leading up to the week, that's fine. But Ruggs was full go last night, and he's easily their most explosive playmaker. 

And he would have been used differently in my gameplan than theirs. Not a decoy to draw 2 or 3 penalties 

Just now, Jlash said:

Didn't watch the game. I understand the thought process but in the end you put your best CB on the side of a guy who definitely showed flashes week 1 but that's pretty much it so far in his rookie year. I just think it ended up being the bad decision. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Counselor said:

And he would have been used differently in my gameplan than theirs. Not a decoy to draw 2 or 3 penalties 

6 minutes ago, Counselor said:

And even then If your best corner shuts him down you have lesser players on some of my guys. I’m giving Ruggs some screens they didn’t as well as other routes.

Since when do decoys tie the lead for their position group in snaps and targets? Seems like a weird strategy. 

5 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Didn't watch the game. I understand the thought process but in the end you put your best CB on the side of a guy who definitely showed flashes week 1 but that's pretty much it so far in his rookie year. I just think it ended up being the bad decision. 

And Counselor made him the focal point of his passing attack this week. I stand by the call.