Who Are Your Week 1 CBs?

Phire

This is the burning question heading into training camp, IMO.
Who are your early predictions for our two starters at CB?

Candidates (in no particular order):

Jalen Mills -- 2 years exp. (7th round pick).

Patrick Robinson -- 7 years exp. (1-year contract).

Ron Brooks -- 5 years exp. (3-year contract expires 2019).

Rasul Douglas -- Rookie. (3rd round pick).

Dwayne Gratz -- 4 years exp. (2-year contract expires 2017).

Honorary mention to Sidney Jones while we wait for him to get healthy (no shot at starting week 1).

I think it's going to be Robinson and Douglas on the outside with Mills winning the slot CB spot. I know Brooks is a vet and Schwartz loves him but I think Mills edges him out. I just can't see Mills or Brooks holding up on the outside.

29 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I think it's going to be Robinson and Douglas on the outside with Mills winning the slot CB spot. I know Brooks is a vet and Schwartz loves him but I think Mills edges him out. I just can't see Mills or Brooks holding up on the outside.

It's a bit unsettling to think a third round rookie would start week 1 at CB, especially in this division, but I think that's a very likely scenario given the state of the depth chart. Douglas was killing it in the mini camps and received a lot of praise from the coaches and the players, even Alshon. If I had to guess I'd say Robinson and Douglas as well, although we know Brooks can play on the outside. Unless my memory serves me wrong, Brooks looked okay before getting hurt.

16 minutes ago, Phire said:

It's a bit unsettling to think a third round rookie would start week 1 at CB, especially in this division, but I think that's a very likely scenario given the state of the depth chart. Douglas was killing it in the mini camps and received a lot of praise from the coaches and the players, even Alshon. If I had to guess I'd say Robinson and Douglas as well, although we know Brooks can play on the outside. Unless my memory serves me wrong, Brooks looked okay before getting hurt.

He did look okay, there are just so many big bodied guys in our division now I think he'd get picked on all day on the outside.

56 minutes ago, Phire said:

Candidates (in no particular order):

Jalen Mills -- 2 years exp. (7th round pick).

Patrick Robinson -- 7 years exp. (1-year contract).

Ron Brooks -- 5 years exp. (3-year contract expires 2019).

Rasul Douglas -- Rookie. (3rd round pick).

Dwayne Gratz -- 4 years exp. (2-year contract expires 2017).

Honorary mention to Sidney Jones while we wait for him to get healthy (no shot at starting week 1).

tumblr_om0sdrmsSr1uhlppjo2_250.gif

I go back and forth on how much the corners might hurt the team this year.

It really doesn't get much worse than what we have at corner.

But our pass rush should be a little better this year and maybe that will help mask some of those problems.

Either way, I'd be surprised if we beat the Giants at all this year. That WR group is going to absolutely torch our secondary. They really should be able to dominate all secondaries. OBJ, Brandon Marshall, and Sterling Shepherd. Yikes. 

I feel like all the weight and responsibility just fell on McLeod and Jenkins  and these two guys are going to have to cover a lot of ground this year and be asked to play all over the place. 

Best case scenario is. Jenkins and McLeod and the pass rush like @RollEagles was mentioning helps make the corners not look so bad. 

I hope we run the ball and keep the defense off the field all the time and rested so we can take advantage of having fresh legs at pass rush and safety and we are as exposed as much, and i hope we play good special teams-stingy on field position which can help to. When you got future Waffle House staff at corner you need a bend don't break philosophy and just have to be stingy as hell with field position and downs. 

5 hours ago, RollEagles said:

I go back and forth on how much the corners might hurt the team this year.

It really doesn't get much worse than what we have at corner.

But our pass rush should be a little better this year and maybe that will help mask some of those problems.

Either way, I'd be surprised if we beat the Giants at all this year. That WR group is going to absolutely torch our secondary. They really should be able to dominate all secondaries. OBJ, Brandon Marshall, and Sterling Shepherd. Yikes. 

Add in Evan Engram being as big as our LB's and faster than our CB's and safeties and we've got some issues defending that team.

Right now it would have to be Douglas/Mills on the outside and Robinson in the slot. I don't think Robinson is suited to play outside and if I remember correctly he's been terrible in every chance to play outside. However, he did succeed as a slot corner before and I think that's the role for him here. 

I do believe we will bring in another veteran (Verner, Porter, Powers, etc) eventually, whether we're waiting for cuts or just waiting to see how these guys perform in camp. 

@Remixxxxxxx that's a good point about adding another veteran. This group could still use some depth for sure. One thing to consider is that we still haven't been able to cut Ryan Mathews, some are saying he'll be subject to a physical when training camp starts. Being able to finally get him off the books will open up some cap space to make additional moves.

Archived