Who Are Your Week 1 CBs?

Phire

7 hours ago, RollEagles said:

I go back and forth on how much the corners might hurt the team this year.

It really doesn't get much worse than what we have at corner.

But our pass rush should be a little better this year and maybe that will help mask some of those problems.

Either way, I'd be surprised if we beat the Giants at all this year. That WR group is going to absolutely torch our secondary. They really should be able to dominate all secondaries. OBJ, Brandon Marshall, and Sterling Shepherd. Yikes. 

The question is are you more comfortable with Mills/Douglas/Robinson or Carroll/McKelvin/Mills? Could we really be that much worse than last year?

40 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Surprised Verner hasn't gotten a look anywhere. He's not an option on the outside but he's definitely a fit in the slot.

Problem is that we have Mills, Robinson, and Brooks who are all probably better slot corners than outside corners. I wouldn't hate bringing in a guy like Porter if for no other reason than to back-up Douglas on the outside and kick one of Gratz/Grymes/other scrub back down to the practice squad.

5 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Problem is that we have Mills, Robinson, and Brooks who are all probably better slot corners than outside corners. I wouldn't hate bringing in a guy like Porter if for no other reason than to back-up Douglas on the outside and kick one of Gratz/Grymes/other scrub back down to the practice squad.

Yea, I didn't particularly meant he fit for us, just in general surprised he hasn't been scooped up.

From Spadaro, AKA Minister of Propaganda, breaking down CB:

So now it’s 2017 and the Eagles have Mills, in his second season. He’s a very strong candidate to start. They have Brooks, coming off of that nasty torn quadriceps injury, and hopefully he is ready to go at the top of Training Camp.

Who else? How about Patrick Robinson, signed in free agency to a one-year deal? He’s a former first-round draft pick who has never found firm footing in the NFL. Maybe he blossoms. Third-round draft pick Rasul Douglas is a candidate to start, but don’t forget that he was at Nassau Community College three football seasons ago. Dwayne Gratz has 25 starts and 43 games of NFL experience since the Jaguars drafted him in the third round in 2013, but he’s been on three teams in the last 12 months (Kansas City, Los Angeles Rams, Eagles).

Beyond that, the Eagles are barren of players who have any tangible NFL experience. Aaron Grymes was a star in the CFL, but can he make the transition to the best league in the world? C.J. Smith made the roster last year as a non-drafted rookie after a five-week stint on the practice squad, and played in 10 games, including one snap on defense.

On 7/21/2017 at 6:02 AM, Danger said:

Honestly I'm expecting all of Mills, Robinson, Douglas, and Ron Brooks to get significant playing time. 
Silver lining of having corners this bad? You don't lose much if one of them gets injured? :|

Top 8 draft pick next year to. 

More C.J. Smith speculation...

How can Smith permanently get ahead of Robinson and Douglas? Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartzpreached consistency is the key to winning a starting cornerback job. 

"Just consistency," Schwartz said. "C.J. is still a young player. He has made some plays so far.

"We need corners that can make plays. I think all the guys have made plays, but they need to be consistent. From that whole group, C.J. included, we need consistency. But I'm very encouraged by C.J., he's done a good job."

Smith knows the playbook and no longer has everything coming 100 miles per hour at him. The game has slowed down for Smith, which is affecting his performance through nine days of training camp. 

A permanent starting spot could be next for Smith.

Allegedly looking good while some of the other guys like Robinson struggle.

Archived