Trade Targets?

pacman5252

20 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

Ok, but how long do you trust the process, seems like we as fans have been trusting the process for a long time now with the same result every year, an embarrassing playoff loss. We continue to trust the process, by the time the process works Rodgers will be gone and we'll have to trust the process with Love and wait for him to get experience and up to par.

1 - Panicking is how you end up with Mike Sherman moves that completely burn the team and then require a full rebuild.

2 - Gute and Thompson's approaches are remarkably differently. And Thompson's strategy, despite it falling apart near the end as he went more into a shell/failed, still yielded 1 Super Bowl win, two Super Bowl caliber teams, and one way overachieving team that was ravaged by injury vs. the Falcons. Not bad for 12 years.

Gute has hired a hot young coach who currently sits at 18-4 (19-5 w/ playoffs) and added good players at positions that needed a rebuild.

3 - I think others have alluded to this, but this team played above expectations last season and are probably on more of a 2-3 year plan. Which all of course also requires some luck, health, etc. to actually get that Super Bowl win.

4 - If there's a trade out there, they'll make it. But they're still rare and, especially with COVID's cap impact pending, going to have to be well planned out this season.

Edited by Striker

12 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

How is it idiotic that I pointed out we beat a bunch of teams that have less talent than the Packers and get embarrassed by good teams on what seems to be almost a regular basis. Hell the chiefs game last year, Matt Moore, a guy they picked up off the street and almost beat last years packers team. Beat a Seattle team with only Russell Wilson playing well or not injured. And we've  beaten three teams this year that are fighting for a top 5 pick. This team isn't good when it matters the most. I fully expect SF to run wild on GB in a couple weeks, GB has done nothing to tell me other wise.

Great movie by the way.

Because we are undefeated in the division.  Don't pretend that isn't an amazing feat by a rookie head coach.

Forget "lucky" bounces.  You win or you lose, that is the NFL.  And we've won plenty.  And we've done it without our competent WR many time.  We've done it with injuries on the o-line.  No names at ILB.  With one of our corners out with injury.  This team has overcome plenty.

And I think we did beat Seattle, maybe even in winner take all game.

And, you play the schedule you have.  All you can do is line up and try to win the game.  It's the NFL, anyone can win on any given Sunday.

I think you are underestimating how difficult it is to win any NFL game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

Honestly if GB is trading for a WR... I hope it’s fuller from Houston. I think Adam Thelien would honestly be the best fit possible for Rodgers and I know Rodgers likes Thelien... but I seriously doubt Vikings trade him to GB.

If they are looking at defense. JJ Watt, Quinnen Williams, Grady Jarrett, Dunlap all make sense depending on what their teams are asking for.

JJ Watt is old and injured.  If GB traded for him, he might be Joe Johnson.

26 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

How is it idiotic that I pointed out we beat a bunch of teams that have less talent than the Packers and get embarrassed by good teams on what seems to be almost a regular basis. Hell the chiefs game last year, Matt Moore, a guy they picked up off the street and almost beat last years packers team. Beat a Seattle team with only Russell Wilson playing well or not injured. And we've  beaten three teams this year that are fighting for a top 5 pick. This team isn't good when it matters the most. I fully expect SF to run wild on GB in a couple weeks, GB has done nothing to tell me other wise.

Great movie by the way.

Isn't that the point?  We have better talent than them because of our system of draft and develop.  Either that or the talent isn't better and all these wins were beating up better teams.  Can't be both.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Because we are undefeated in the division.  Don't pretend that isn't an amazing feat by a rookie head coach.

Forget "lucky" bounces.  You win or you lose, that is the NFL.  And we've won plenty.  And we've done it without our competent WR many time.  We've done it with injuries on the o-line.  No names at ILB.  With one of our corners out with injury.  This team has overcome plenty.

And I think we did beat Seattle, maybe even in winner take all game.

And, you play the schedule you have.  All you can do is line up and try to win the game.  It's the NFL, anyone can win on any given Sunday.

I think you are underestimating how difficult it is to win any NFL game.

I understand how hard it is to win and honestly I feel blessed to witness the packers win a lot of games in my time. (Not old enough to witness how bad they were in the 70's and 80's, heard they stunk). I'm just tired of all these embarrassing playoff loses, (blowing the lead to SEA in the NFCCG, ATL blowing them out, SF blowing them out, didn't SF break their own rushing record against the packers in the playoffs) But it gets to the point where you have to do something to beat these top echelon of teams. The Packers seem content on where they are and building for the future and that was evident on when they took love and dillon in the first two rounds in one of the deepest WR drafts in history. Pretty much a slap to the face to the veterans of the team like Rodgers, M. Lewis, etc.

Downplaying MLF's playoff win vs SEA seems kind of silly, but in general I don't have a problem with taking a wait and see approach for how this team will perform vs quality opponents.  That's more or less where I am at myself.  Beating NO was a nice win even if they were pretty beat up at the time.  TAM was the first real test, and that test was failed.  The next checkpoint will be SF in a couple weeks.  I assume GB will be in the playoffs, but the playoffs really aren't the bar anymore.  This year (and MLF) will be judged by what this team does in the playoffs.  Not a bad thing.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Man, if Quinnen Williams gets traded for what’s equivalent to a 24-32 first round pick and it’s not to us I’m going to be livid.

Especially considering there’s some smoke to us talking about it.  

Yeah that would be a tough one to take.

52 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

I understand how hard it is to win and honestly I feel blessed to witness the packers win a lot of games in my time. (Not old enough to witness how bad they were in the 70's and 80's, heard they stunk). I'm just tired of all these embarrassing playoff loses, (blowing the lead to SEA in the NFCCG, ATL blowing them out, SF blowing them out, didn't SF break their own rushing record against the packers in the playoffs) But it gets to the point where you have to do something to beat these top echelon of teams. The Packers seem content on where they are and building for the future and that was evident on when they took love and dillon in the first two rounds in one of the deepest WR drafts in history. Pretty much a slap to the face to the veterans of the team like Rodgers, M. Lewis, etc.

That "slap to the face" of Rodgers just might have been something that fired him up and has led to our fast start.  And as a fan of the organization, I'd rather they stay true to their board and their long term vision as opposed to drafting players to make one or two guys happy.  

It would have been more of a slap to the face for the organization had they let a QB with a first round grade NOT get drafted while they reached on a WR with a second round grade, or a DL with a second round grade.

Concerning that recent draft, there were 2 players whom I had wanted at that pick, in no particular order they were Queen and Diggs.  Maybe even 3 as I was a Josh Jones fan at tackle.  I did no research on Love.  None.  But since many teams were trying hard to get him, I have a hard time thinking that he did not have a first round grade on him.  I'll take the QB there over an ILB or corner.  Every time.  I find no fault with what they did in the first round.

Second round.  While I would have liked a trade up for Mims, he was the last guy on the board that I thought could produce right away and worth a second round pick.  And he went 2 picks before Dillon.  It is telling to me that there were only 2 WR's taken....in the next 65 picks!

That should tell you that the run on WR's happened early.  And we were not in position to get one.

Regarding the past...one of the best ever in the GM business was Ron Wolf.  He routinely drafted with an eye on the future.  So did Ted when he took Rodgers.  Give it time.  Enjoy the ride.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I hate that you have me thinking Q is a possibility.  HATE!

I hate me for it, too.

I hated me for thinking Jamal Adams (imagine him instead of Redmond), but then I forgave myself when the Seahawks gave up the world for him.

If Q goes for first round value I’m going to do to Gute what I’ve done to Pettine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Because of 18-5 or 19-6 depending on what you wish to count.

Regarding lottery tickets...Bakh was a lottery ticket.  As was Linsley.  As was Jamal Williams and Aaron Jones.

I think if you are a GM in the NFL and you feel like you are incapable of making good picks in the draft, well, you should make those trades.... while playing Madden at home in your parent's basement.  And getting your resume together.

To a point, yes. However, I don't see any problem at all trying to upgrade your team with a midseason acquisition to strengthen/improve it. Not a 1st-3rd but mid level. If you are a good  team looking for that 1 to get an extra win or 2 -- do it.