Trade Targets?

pacman5252

Just now, Brit Pack said:

Article talking about the emergence of our old boy Richard Rodgers in Philly. Interesting part states that the Packers and Ravens made offers to trade for Zach Ertz before he got injured!!!

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/richard-rodgers-emergence-gives-glimpse-of-life-without-zach-ertz

I always lol'd at people who thought Ertz was anything more than a Witten clone. 

Like, gosh, you think he's going to have 116 receptions in a season when he's targeted 156 times?  He had 10 yards per reception in that his best year.  He's 100% a volume guy, and the fact that the Packers called the Eagles about trading for him is highly disconcerting. 

12 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

If I wake up tomorrow and the Packers haven't traded for anybody I am going to assume they won't trade for anybody and therefore I will make a Fire Gute thread. 

I'm on board. Two years in a row, no action despite serious chances both years to make a run for it all. It.is.time.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I always lol'd at people who thought Ertz was anything more than a Witten clone. 

Like, gosh, you think he's going to have 116 receptions in a season when he's targeted 156 times?  He had 10 yards per reception in that his best year.  He's 100% a volume guy, and the fact that the Packers called the Eagles about trading for him is highly disconcerting. 

We got Bobby. We don't need TE's. After watching MNF I'm still annoyed that Allen Robinson went to the Bears instead of us and we took Graham instead. A three of Adams, Lazard and Robinson would have been insane. But maybe then Lazard would never have emerged if we had Robinson.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brit Pack said:

But maybe then Lazard would never have emerged if we had Robinson.

Bingo.  Now ask yourself if Tonyan would have emerged earlier if not for Graham.  And for all the impatience around Gary, ask if he might have emerged if not for Smith and Smith.  And ask yourself if maybe the Packers didn’t take a known raw talent after signing two veterans ahead of him on the depth chart.  

This is why trades aren’t likely in Green Bay.  If they think there’s a chance one of their guys can develop, why go out and get someone?

It is a great strategy for getting yourself competitive.  Once you’re competitive, though, it’s time to make a move.

Therefore, it’s important for us to acquire talent at a position we know we won’t have that progression within the season.  DL we may have enough faith in Keke continuing to emerge.  Maybe even Adams.  WR we have Lazard coming back.  S/LB?

Marcus Maye/Keanu Neal would look reeeeeaaaaaal good right now.

12 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Like, gosh, you think he's going to have 116 receptions in a season when he's targeted 156 times?  He had 10 yards per reception in that his best year.  He's 100% a volume guy, and the fact that the Packers called the Eagles about trading for him is highly disconcerting

Do you want them to trade for a guy or not? Like you say you’ll be disappointed if they don’t. Yet when all the rumors come out about the players they are looking at you’re disappointed or concerned by who it is.

Gute is going to bargain shop. The guys you want might come at a cost that doesn’t make sense. Like Williams, it’s great that he is available but if the Jets are like it’s going to take 4 2nd rounders... how “available“ is he real? The other GM gets paid too and they aren’t just going to let assets go to benefit GB.

Thats why you find guys that team are done with completely.

20 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Witten is a HOF TE?

Do you mean he's a Witten clone at 38 or 29?

Edited by Arthur Penske

The Quinnen Williams trade dream just makes no sense. He's a #3 overall pick, is only 22, and is under contract for 2 more years after this season. Plus the dead cap numbers are dumb. 

Joe Douglas should be shot into the sun if he traded Williams for any less than multiple 1s.

7 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Witten is a HOF TE?

Do you mean he's a Witten clone at 38 or 29?

Witten is not a HOF TE in a world where volume isn’t enough to get you in.  He’s got 10.6 yards per reception on his career.  

His best years he’s got a catch rate under 70 percent.  If you have high catches and low catch percentage in your best years, you’re a volume guy.

You want to know just how low 10.6 yards per catch is?  Jimmy Graham has 11.6 and 11.8 yards per catch in both his seasons as a Packer.  Witten’s career HIGH for yards per catch has been 11.9.

You really talking like Jimmy Graham 2018/2019 is Hall of Fame worthy?

Please don't start an argument that Witten is a legitimate Hall of Fame tight end.  I don't want you to embarrass yourself.  And please don't say, "Blocking!" he was never a great blocker. 

Jason Witten is Clay Matthews Hall of Fame.  Not Julius Peppers Hall of Fame. 

You want a Hall of Fame tight end and you're looking at Travis Kelce, Rob Gronkowski, Antonio Gates.  That's it for this decade. 

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Please don't start an argument that Witten is a legitimate Hall of Fame tight end.  I don't want you to embarrass yourself.  And please don't say, "Blocking!" he was never a great blocker. 

Jason Witten is Clay Matthews Hall of Fame.  Not Julius Peppers Hall of Fame. 

You want a Hall of Fame tight end and you're looking at Travis Kelce, Rob Gronkowski, Antonio Gates.  That's it for this decade. 

Clay is Packer HOF IMO, not NFL.

Kelce HOF at this point? 

Just now, HighCalebR said:

There is value however in a consistent catcher who knows how to operate down low. Consistent first down gainer. Give me Njoku though.. I like electricity 

Absolutely, but no value for that guy who thinks he’s Travis Kelce, and Ertz was wanting a new mega deal.

• Like 1