'17 Eagles: 28.6 P/G scored, 18.4 P/G allowed
'16 Pats: 27.6 P/G scored, 15.6 P/G allowed
'15 Broncos: 22.2 P/G scored, 18.5 P/G allowed
'14 Pats: 29.3 P/G scored, 19.6 P/G allowed
'13 Seahawks: 26.1 P/G scored, 14.4 P/G allowed
'12 Ravens: 24.9 P/G scored, 21.5 P/G allowed
'11 Giants: 24.6 P/G scored, 25.0 P/G allowed
'10 Packers: 24.3 P/G scored, 15.0 P/G allowed

As you can see, the only defense in the last 10 years to win a super bowl that wasn't good was the Giants but, and here's the fun part, they gave up 14 P/G in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

If you're 20th in scoring and 9th in defensive scoring, make the trade for a WR.

If you're 4th in scoring and 20th in defensive scoring, FIRE PETTINE. 

That's the key here: if we don't fire Pettine, does any reasonable move on defense matter? Under Pettine right now, the stars we currently have are playing like ****, so is that going to change by adding one big guy? I guess, what's the best net gain, combo move here: 

1. Trade for WR + We Fire Pettine
  2. Trade for DL + We Fire Pettine
  3. Trade for WR + We Keep Pettine
  4. Trade for DL + We Keep Pettine

You could argue No. 2 would be the highest net gain, but also that No. 4 is the lowest net gain. Given that "We Keep Pettine" is more likely since we're in-season, I'd argue you're going to get more impact from a WR in this offense than a DL in a Pettine-led defense. 

In a perfect scenario, you'd like to go WR + DL + Fire Pettine, but that's probably not feasible. 

I thought this was about "trade targets", not firing Pettine, or blaming Gute for 2 poor drafts and failing in free agency to add any legitimate NFL interior defensive linemen or physical inside linebackers.
It probably is too late and we never seem to add any key pieces, since Howard Green in 2010.

But our run defense and overall physicality on defense has been atrocious for years, whether the coordinator was old Capers or old Pettine. Before and after Kenny Clark. With tackling machine Blame Martinez, before him, after him, etc. By the way, Blake Martinez looks pretty good tonight, and unlike Kirksey, he's getting paid to play while Kirksey is getting paid to watch with another injury.

Opponents often talk about punching us in the mouth, whether it's opponents offensive linemen and RBs carving us up, or opposing defenses who overwhelm our sometimes good offensive line.

Teams who are done this year:
-NY Jets
-NY Giants
-Dallas Cows
-Jacksonville
-Vikings
-Lions
-Atlanta
-Houston
-Chargers
-Broncos

Not all are in given up mode, but none have much to lose.

What we need to make a move:
-Physical big bodies to replace the stiffs we have next to Clark on each side. They all should be on CFL rosters, not playing in the NFL. Most NFL teams have 3 or 4 or 5 NFL Defensive Linemen better than any on our team aside from #97.
-Guys not on huge contracts or final years of contracts (for it to be a trade. Adding guys like Howard Green cost us nothing).
-Big. Mean helps. Loud helps. Attitude matters and our defenses have had soft ones since Desmond Bishop & Atari Bigby started in Super Bowl XLV.

I don't know who on those rosters can help, but I'm sure each team has 2 guys who can upgrade our atrocious DL. 

7 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Without going too far into it...

Arm strength?  Check.  Maybe Check Plus.

Intelligence?  Check.  (27 on Wonderlic.)

Mobility?  Check plus.

60% completion % in college.  Check but a check minus.  I'd like to see that closer to 65%.  But he did have a whole new cast of folks around him his last year and he saw his % go from 64% to 62%.  

Started more than one year in college?  Check.

Maybe he is just a backup.  But he's got the requisite skills to be much more than that.  Kid isn't much right now, no doubt.  But there is some reason to hope he will be good one day.

I still would have taken Shenault Jr 

Well, it doesn't look good for trades. I'm a little surprised by it. I shouldn't be considering Gute made it clear during the draft he was looking past this season, but still... A quality speed WR & DT would take the team up a notch, imo. I don't know why this couldn't get done.

14 hours ago, Striker said:

You do remember what first round pick Aaron Rodgers looked like his first few camps/preseasons, right? Especially with a lot of the Tedford mechanics?

Lol what does this have to do with anything I said and Aaron Rodgers was projected by many places as the #1 overall pick in the draft. Jordan Love never had any of that.

10 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Well, it doesn't look good for trades. I'm a little surprised by it. I shouldn't be considering Gute made it clear during the draft he was looking past this season, but still... A quality speed WR & DT would take the team up a notch, imo. I don't know why this couldn't get done.

Lot of ball game left. It was always going to be today if it happened. Probably won't but there's still a chance. 

• Like 1

Teams have until 3 p.m. (CT) on Tuesday to finalize trades, and the Packers (5-2) have already made an offer for Texans wide receiver Will Fuller, Aaron Reiss of The Athletic Houston learned. The Texans rejected the initial offer, so it’s back to the drawing board for Gutekunst.

A quality DT can make a significant difference... I don't want to bore anyone with a big Florida Gator break down, but LSS, the return of Kyree Campbell at DT completely changed the Gators defense. Simply, they went from a bad defense that couldn't stop the run to a very good defense. For draftniks, Tedarrell Slaton went from looking like a 7th round pick without Campbell to looking like the top 50 pick he's projected to be.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 4:50 AM, Mr Anonymous said:

I have to believe Breshad Perriman could be had for a conditional 7th round pick. Size, speed, deep play threat that would take the place of MVS in the lineup. Jets signed him to a 1-year deal to replace Robby Anderson within hours after Anderson signed with Carolina. Perriman finished strong with the Bucs last year filling the Mike Evans role after Evans went down. In his final 5 games last year with the increased role, Perriman caught 25 passes for 506 yards and 5 TDs. He's out this week with a concussion, but assuming he's healthy otherwise, it's a pretty low risk, low cost acquisition that would certainly be better than doing nothing.

This just seems so obvious to me. We'll know in a few hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donzo said:

It’s our own fault, this thread only made it to 59 pages. Gute was only gonna trade if we hit 100. 

• Like 1

Heck, add in Fatukasi and just give the Jets a 5th rounder... The Packers add a quality speed WR & a decent. big run stopping DT without a big cap it.

Although, adding a DT wont matter much until the Packers stop running soft 6 & 7 man front against  run sets.