Jump to content
pacman5252

Trade Targets?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't have numbers, so I may be wrong.  But does it seem like this team creates a lot of 3 and outs as well? It feels to me, that if we give up a first down, we are in for a long drive that results in a score.  But their stops seem to come quick.  I don't recall many instances of drive starts at the 20, drive ends at the 45 for this defense.  Just the feel that I get from watching.  I could be dead wrong.

It certainly seems that way. I wonder if the red zone woes stem from the fact that this team is so vulnerable to the run that, when confronted with really REALLY needing to stop the run in the red zone, they have to pull resources from pass defense.

[edit] Given those red zone stats, why wouldn't you get more aggressive on the off chance that for every twice you get burned you get a blitz home once?

Edited by Uffdaswede

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't have numbers, so I may be wrong.  But does it seem like this team creates a lot of 3 and outs as well? It feels to me, that if we give up a first down, we are in for a long drive that results in a score.  But their stops seem to come quick.  I don't recall many instances of drive starts at the 20, drive ends at the 45 for this defense.  Just the feel that I get from watching.  I could be dead wrong.

you are wise

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/overall-drive-statsdef/2020

We rank 3rd (behind Rams and Bears) in 3-n-outs per drive.

It's revealing to see the following as well:
We're bad at TDs/Drive

We're terrible at points per RZ trip

Our defense is "lucky' in their average lead to start the drive.

We either win right away or get comfortable losing every play all the way to the end zone.

Edited by incognito_man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

you are wise

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/overall-drive-statsdef/2020

We rank 3rd (behind Rams and Bears) in 3-n-outs per drive.

It's revealing to see the following as well:
We're bad at TDs/Drive

We're terrible at points per RZ trip

Our defense is "lucky' in their average lead to start the drive.

We either win right away or get comfortable losing every play all the way to the end zone.

We're highly ranked in explosive plays given up (at least we were when I heard the stat before the Vikings game). So this all makes sense from a numbers standpoint.

@AlexGreen#20 was dead on in his assessment that Pettine is essentially saying, I've got the Smith Bros and Clark in my front 7 and a young, talented secondary. I bet more times than not they'll make a play before you do if I prevent you from hitting deep passes. Problem is we show blitzes/coverages early, don't mix things up to create confusion and our big dogs have not been nearly as dominant in 1-1 (outside of Jaire) as they were last year. The combination of all that, leads to methodical drives, one sputter along the we and we typically get the stop. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I agree about Savage, and the defensive front not getting the job done.  I disagree about Kevin King.  When he is on the field, and it is not all that often, he is a plus player.  But, and it is a big but, he has only played in about 60% of possible games in his career.  

Agreed. Problem being, he's made of glass and has been ever since college.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Agreed. Problem being, he's made of glass and has been ever since college.

Which is why I am opening up to paying Jones or Linsley instead of King this offseason.  

[oops]

 

-Do we want to pay top whatever CB money for 5 great games, 6 average games, and 5 games missed due to injury? That is probably what we are looking for with King.  

-I think a line of Bakhtiari-Jenkins-Patrick-Runyan-Turner will be good.  I think that a line of Bakhtiari-Jenkins-Linsley-Patrick/Runyan-Turner is probably better.

-Jones is good, I still don't like paying RBs though.  

 

I think we really benefit from getting Jackson and Hollman some exposure.  Can they replace King next season? Do we need to invest another high draft pick on a DB? Chandon Sullivan is also a RFA in 2021, so he will be getting a raise as well. 

Edited by ThatJerkDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...