Story or Non-Story

LionArkie

Okudah was a consensus top 4/5 player at a position of need.  I am guessing that maybe some wanted someone else more but I doubt any/many were opposed to Okudah completely.  It wouldn't shock me that Quinn did his own thing and alienated his coaches as it seems that they haven't worked together to find the players they need to build a winner, but this just doesnt seem like much of a story.  I would like to hear their thoughts on TJ Hock as that was more of the pick that could have some arguments in the room. 

• Like 3

I remember hearing this kind of buzz around the draft time with Brown being viewed as the potential draft pick. 

I agree with Sllim on both the Okudah pick and the Hockenson pick. 

Noah Fant - 74.9 2020 PFF Score

TJ Hockenson - 63.7 2020 PFF Score

We took Hock over 

- Fant + 2019 2nd (Miles Sanders/DK Metcalf/Mecole Hardman) + 2020 3rd

38 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Yeah the Hock pick killed me.

Yeah... after seeing the Pittsburgh trade for Bush I would have to imagine a similar offer would have been on the table for us. 

I can only imagine what the team would look like with Fant + Metcalf + Anfernee Jennings instead of TJ. It's not even to say he's a bad player but he could have been available for us at #20 and if not, Fant is a great consolation prize as he appears to be the better Iowa TE.

11 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I think Hock is going to be solid, but I don't want a first round TE, now matter how good they are.

Most of the 1st round guys go in the 20's... which is then compounded by what we missed out on in a trade down. 

I do expect Hock to be a very good player but he's not better than Fant + Metcalf + a defensive addition. 

• Like 1

I was openly opposed to Hock. I hope to be proven wrong, but so far...

I doubt this draft non-story is much of anything other than piling on Lions management right now. Jeff Okudah was a concensus top 3 guy and we drafted him at #3. At a position we had just traded away our top guy. it was a non-brainer and obvious pick. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Okudah was a consensus top 4/5 player at a position of need.  I am guessing that maybe some wanted someone else more but I doubt any/many were opposed to Okudah completely.  It wouldn't shock me that Quinn did his own thing and alienated his coaches as it seems that they haven't worked together to find the players they need to build a winner, but this just doesnt seem like much of a story.  I would like to hear their thoughts on TJ Hock as that was more of the pick that could have some arguments in the room. 

This, exactly. Of course different front office individuals will have different preferences on prospects, but stating that Patricia "didn't want" Okudah is clearly inaccurate. He may have preferred someone else a bit more (and, after seeing how weak we are up the middle, wanting a stud DT makes a lot of sense), but adding a blue chip CB is only a positive move for a defensive-minded coach.

I hate "anonymously sourced" stories like this.