2021 HC Candidates

Trentwannabe

With the season a couple weeks in and HC already on the hot seat I figured why not discuss some of the potential HC candidates for this off-season. 

Offensive Coordinators/College Guys:

1. Eric Bieniemy, Chiefs OC
2. Josh McDaniels, OC Patriots
3. Greg Roman, Ravens OC 
4. Brian Daboll, Bills OC
5. Arthur Smith - Titans OC
6. Brian Schottenheimer - Seahawks OC
7. Kellen Moore - Cowboys OC
8. Byron Leftwich - Tampa Bay OC
9. Lincoln Riley - Oklahoma HC
10. Jim Harbaugh - Michigan HC
11. David Shaw - Stanford HC
12. PJ Fleck - Minnesota 
13. Mike Lafleur - 49ers PGC
14. Mike McDaniel - 49ers RGC

Defensive Coordinators:

1. Robert Saleh - 49ers DC
2. Don Martindale - Ravens DC
3. Matt Eberflus - Colts DC
4. Leslie Frazier - Bills DC
5. Steve Spagnuolo - Chiefs DC
6. Todd Bowles - Bucs DC
7. Anthony Weaver - Texans DC

Potentially Under the Radar:
1. Mike Kafka - Chiefs QB Coach
2. Joe Brady - Panthers OC
3. Kris Richard - 

Who am I missing?

13 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Who am I missing?

I'm going to put Texans DC Anthony Weaver out there. Not because the Texans D looks fantastic (it's better than last year, but not great) but because he can quickly relate to players and is a good "leader of men" type of coach. The media here is already saying he's got a lot of upside (with more than one media type saying he'd be the ideal interim HC if there was a change at the top...)

This is pretty much the path that Mike Vrabel took to get to where he is - he was a DC on a bottom 25 defense in Houston, but earned high marks for his leadership and ability to delegate the technical side of the job to his staff, allowing him to focus on actual in-game management and vision - he got plus marks because he was a great "leader of men". Vrabel has really put his own identity into Tennessee, was a great hire for them.

I see Weaver as the next guy from the YOLO BoB tree that's going to pay dividends ...to someone else, of course.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm going to put Texans DC Anthony Weaver out there. Not because the Texans D looks fantastic (it's better than last year, but not great) but because he can quickly relate to players and is a good "leader of men" type of coach. The media here is already saying he's got a lot of upside (with more than one media type saying he'd be the ideal interim HC if there was a change at the top...)

This is pretty much the path that Mike Vrabel took to get to where he is - he was a DC on a bottom 25 defense in Houston, but earned high marks for his leadership and ability to delegate the technical side of the job to his staff, allowing him to focus on actual in-game management and vision - he got plus marks because he was a great "leader of men". Vrabel has really put his own identity into Tennessee, was a great hire for them.

I see Weaver as the next guy from the YOLO BoB tree that's going to pay dividends ...to someone else, of course.

I should have originally put him on the under the radar list. I loved him when he was in Buffalo. He did a great job with the DL that year.

• Like 1

Just now, Trentwannabe said:

I should have originally put him on the under the radar list. I loved him when he was in Buffalo. He did a great job with the DL that year.

He's a Rex Ryan disciple, and it shows with some of the blitz packages - Texans sacked Lamar Jackson four times, which is the first time Jackson got sacked that many times since his rookie season. He's throwing throwing out double stunts and getting pressure with four guys - this scheme is far from the 1992 34 scheme that Romeo Crennell ran.

22 minutes ago, ET80 said:

From Gase/Darnold to Dabo/Lawrence... That doesn't sound fun.

Please. Not that I think Darnold is bad, I think hes a good talented QB who is being ruined by the Jets pathetic organization that has no idea what they are doing and decided it was a good time to penny pinch and not provide their young QB with NFL WRs and a run game. 

Jets owner "Gase is a brilliant offensive mind" in what world?  Adam Gase is Rich Kotite 2.0. Jets legitimately will be at best 3-13. 

Edited by NYJets4716
  • Like 2