Week 3 GDT - New York Giants vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

PFF game glance: 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-nfl-week-3-pff-refocused-san-francisco-49ers-36-new-york-giants-9

This stood out:

Mullens was pressured on only 10 of his 39 dropbacks, as only interior defensive lineman Dalvin Tomlinson had success up front. The edge rushers, who came into the game with the eighth-lowest pass-rush grade as a unit, did not improve upon that mark with little pressure to speak of.  

This is how comically bad the Giants were. I don't expect that type of leeway against the Eagles defensive line. It's not like the 49ers O-line has been stonewalling goons left and right. Another reason Jimmy will probably take the game off on that bad ankle. At least Mullens can move. I'm almost afraid to see how he performs when pressure gets in his face though. He had a couple of close calls against the Giants though and didn't crumble. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

PFF game glance: 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-nfl-week-3-pff-refocused-san-francisco-49ers-36-new-york-giants-9

This stood out:

This is how comically bad the Giants were. I don't expect that type of leeway against the Eagles defensive line. It's not like the 49ers O-line has been stonewalling goons left and right. Another reason Jimmy will probably take the game off on that bad ankle. At least Mullens can move. I'm almost afraid to see how he performs when pressure gets in his face though. He had a couple of close calls against the Giants though and didn't crumble. 

Eagles DL is a completely different beast for sure. Mullens should go for at least one more week. He will perform just fine. Will make a few mistakes but that's just who he is. The offense will move the ball and end up with around 400 or so yards and put up a solid amount of points. If our defense continues playing well, should be another win. 

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

People for some reason are trying to co op Nick Foles nickname for Mullens, which I honestly think is weird

No, this started when Sherman said it in his presser. It took off after that. 

Now, whether you think it is weird that Sherman did this after Foles already had this nickname already is another topic. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No, this started when Sherman said it in his presser. It took off after that. 

Now, whether you think it is weird that Sherman did this after Foles already had this nickname already is another topic. 

Yeah, it's still weird. For everyone. Really doesn't matter that Sherm is the one who started it (after Foles had the nickname, obviously. If Sherm started this for Mullens, and then the Foles crowd try to co-op it, it'd be weird on their end. Either way, its weird for someone) 

Dude is so good. Still over runs some run plays and misses a few more tackles than he should. That is what is holding him back from reaching the Willis/Bowman ELITE level. Maybe he gets there soon, certainly is off to a good start this season.

I don't know how McGlinchey didn't give up a pressure when he got RAG DOLLED on a play in the first half. Maybe it didn't qualify as one since Mullens got it off quickly but that was a BAD look for McGlinchey lol. 

Let's see how he performs this week against the likes of Graham. 

Just watched this on Twitter and man, Kinlaw is getting better and better every week. A few things I noticed in this video:

- His bull rush is hard to stop. Like, very hard to stop

- HE THREW WILL HERNANDEZ ASIDE LIKE A RAG DOLL!! Hernandez is one of the strongest and stoutest guards in the NFL.

- Kinlaw's hand usage is violet as F, but you can see he's not timing his hits right. When he focuses his hands in and gets the technique right, my oh my.

- LOVE the heads up play to bail on the rush and follow the back out on his route. Nice heads up play. 

- Kinlaw on the EDGE is interesting. It went as well as expected for that tackle. Being forced into the ground by Kinlaw's bull rush.

• Like 3

Great game, but I’m curious if we need to pursue any corners? Do we have any on the practice squad? I would imagine we are light. Sherman is still on IR, Akhello could be still injured (hamstring?), Mosley (concussion protocol?). That leaves mainly Verrett, Dontae Johnson, and Williams as our starting 3. 

3 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Great game, but I’m curious if we need to pursue any corners? Do we have any on the practice squad? I would imagine we are light. Sherman is still on IR, Akhello could be still injured (hamstring?), Mosley (concussion protocol?). That leaves mainly Verrett, Dontae Johnson, and Williams as our starting 3. 

Just throwing some names out - Desmon Trufant, Prince Amukamara, Ross Cockrell, Mo Claiborne, Kayvon Webster. I honestly don't know if any of these guys fit our style of zone coverage, though. Heres a list of available guys: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2020/all/cornerback/available/

But, more importantly, Dontae Johnson needs to go away right now. I don't know why the 49ers keep bringing him back. It seems like every team has that one player they just keep bringing back and torturing themselves with. Johnson is our guy. 

Hopefully Spoon and Mosely are good to go. It seems like Spoon was a last minute scratch and Mosely may just have been kept out because of the score. We didn't really get much of an update on Mosely throughout the game. 

If we can go with Mosely, Spoon, Verrett, Williams, and Johnson, we should be alright.