Week 3 GDT - New York Giants vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

22 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Great game, but I’m curious if we need to pursue any corners? Do we have any on the practice squad? I would imagine we are light. Sherman is still on IR, Akhello could be still injured (hamstring?), Mosley (concussion protocol?). That leaves mainly Verrett, Dontae Johnson, and Williams as our starting 3. 

The cornerback free agent market is weirdly stacked with quite a few names. Not sure how many of them are playing at an acceptable level,  but its weird to see some of those guys still out there. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Just throwing some names out - Desmon Trufant, Prince Amukamara, Ross Cockrell, Mo Claiborne, Kayvon Webster. I honestly don't know if any of these guys fit our style of zone coverage, though. Heres a list of available guys: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2020/all/cornerback/available/

But, more importantly, Dontae Johnson needs to go away right now. I don't know why the 49ers keep bringing him back. It seems like every team has that one player they just keep bringing back and torturing themselves with. Johnson is our guy. 

Hopefully Spoon and Mosely are good to go. It seems like Spoon was a last minute scratch and Mosely may just have been kept out because of the score. We didn't really get much of an update on Mosely throughout the game. 

If we can go with Mosely, Spoon, Verrett, Williams, and Johnson, we should be alright. 

That’s my thought process too, that we will more than likely stick to our personnel, but I thought this past Sunday was a huge indicator that we lack true depth at corner. No way do I want to spin this talk into the 2021 draft but I would imagine corner and pass rush have to be our pressing need (at least on def). 

Like you said, I don’t know if any those individuals would fit our zone coverage. I wonder if we attempt to try and trade Pettis for any corner because I didn’t see him get any shots on Sunday unless you want to include his returns (kick off and punt I think it was). I know the biggest offseason trade prospect in the forum was to trade Pettis to Greenbay for Josh Jackson.

I think someone mentioned it during yesterday’s game but it’s ironic how little Kyle and co truly feel about drafting corners as compared to receivers. I get it we haven’t had a true number 1 and we had some unanswered pieces at corner, so after this season I think we truly know where we stand. 

1 minute ago, StevenK said:

That’s my thought process too, that we will more than likely stick to our personnel, but I thought this past Sunday was a huge indicator that we lack true depth at corner. No way do I want to spin this talk into the 2021 draft but I would imagine corner and pass rush have to be our pressing need (at least on def). 

Like you said, I don’t know if any those individuals would fit our zone coverage. I wonder if we attempt to try and trade Pettis for any corner because I didn’t see him get any shots on Sunday unless you want to include his returns (kick off and punt I think it was). I know the biggest offseason trade prospect in the forum was to trade Pettis to Greenbay for Josh Jackson.

I think someone mentioned it during yesterday’s game but it’s ironic how little Kyle and co truly feel about drafting corners as compared to receivers. I get it we haven’t had a true number 1 and we had some unanswered pieces at corner, so after this season I think we truly know where we stand. 

Oh, for sure. We need to invest in DBs in the 2021 draft since most of our secondary will be FA's at the end of this year. 

The 49ers are done with Pettis. Trading him for a 6th or a 4th corner would be wise since he has no future here. Counting Deebo, the 49ers have 4 WR's they trust - Deebo, Aiyuk, Taylor, and Bourne. We're essentially running with 4 WR's since they have zero faith in Pettis and Sanu just isn't getting opportunities. I'd love to see Sanu get worked in a little more this week. He had 1 catch against the Giants and I thought he looked pretty good. It'd be nice to get him more action in case of more injuries. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Oh, for sure. We need to invest in DBs in the 2021 draft since most of our secondary will be FA's at the end of this year. 

The problem is, right now we will also need a LT, maybe a pass rusher (could depend on what we do with Ford). If we are drafting and Creed Humphrey is available at Center, I Think that has to be a legitimate option to take. Guard should definitely be on the table, but I'm sure shanny will never go for that...he just really doesn't seem to value it highly enough. 

It's going to be super, super interesting how we handle all of this. 

If I had to guess, I'm starting to hedge more toward re-signing Williams as being something likely to happen...originally, I thought there was no way we were going to and he was going to be a one year guy. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

The problem is, right now we will also need a LT, maybe a pass rusher (could depend on what we do with Ford). If we are drafting and Creed Humphrey is available at Center, I Think that has to be a legitimate option to take. Guard should definitely be on the table, but I'm sure shanny will never go for that...he just really doesn't seem to value it highly enough. 

If I had to guess, I'm starting to hedge more toward re-signing Williams as being something likely to happen...originally, I thought there was no way we were going to and he was going to be a one year guy. 

This entire offseason, league wide, will be interesting. If the cap either stays the same or has a reduction, there could be a ton of good players on the market. The 49ers could be one of the hardest hit teams by this possibility with all of our free agents. 

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

This entire offseason, league wide, will be interesting. If the cap either stays the same or has a reduction, there could be a ton of good players on the market. The 49ers could be one of the hardest hit teams by this possibility with all of our free agents. 

@N4L and I talked a little about this in the podcast outtakes (stuff that wasn't recorded when we are just shooting the **** before / after), and we discussed stuff like that at some point. Like, we only save 6 million and 6.4 by cutting Kwon and Dee Ford, but I 100% could see that happening and being worth it if the cap goes down and the market gets flooded with players to some extent. We may be able to get quality / comparable players (who maybe can even stay healthy) at less than those amounts. Can't say for sure...you just never know as this is certainly unprecedented, but there could be some crazy stuff going on for sure. 

I'm sure we will do a stand alone pod about this stuff at some point this year. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Call me crazy but I believe they're going to let Skule and McKitiviz duke out for the LT position next year. I really believe that's the plan. Securing Williams on draft day merely gave us a year to allow those two to prep and learn behind Trent. 

I don't see us being particularly active in free agency next year. We need to get Warner's deal done next offseason. Just like with Kittle, it would be a bad look to let one of their own young, talented players enter into his contract year with no extension. Warner is pretty much irreplaceable imo. So I think that is something that has to be a priority. I think that, tendering both Brunskill and Moseley should be our only real priorities with our in-house personnel other than Warner. Maybe they bring back Blair on a one-year deal but I don't see much else that needs to be done. Would like to bring back DJ Jones but not sure how we can afford him at this point. I think Kinlaw will be looked at to step-up into Jones role by next year. And with guys like Givens, Taylor, and Darron Daniels already in the fold, I think they'll let Jones walk.

So we'll have to be wise in the draft and address other areas like CB, DE, S, and OG. 2021 will be a VERY important draft. 

Edited by 757-NINER

I have to say that Kinlaw's rapid progression has been really the lone bright spot for me so far this season. I really thought he would flash much later in the season and would struggle early on but he's showing so much of that potential that made him the talk of the draft community leading up to the draft. He's going to be a absolute monster, sooner rather than later...

• Like 1

@757-NINER you were right about how we were going to use McK and JWjr. They certainly 'leaned' on McK a lot more than I thought they would. It didnt seem like JWjr really got a few plays in a row and was able to get into a rhythm until after McK got injured. I feel as though this result validates my line of thinking because given how he preformed and the fact McK is now questionable for this week, jwjr should have been a bigger part of the gameplan imo, but ultimately you were right in your assessment lol 

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I have to say that Kinlaw's rapid progression has been really the lone bright spot for me so far this season. I really thought he would flash much later in the season and would struggle early on but he's showing so much of that potential that made him the talk of the draft community leading up to the draft. He's going to be a absolute monster, sooner rather than later...

Kinlaw gets me so hyped. I loved what I saw from him in college, but he did not look like this. He is doing some very technical things here with tying his feet and his hands together. He has really quick, powerful hands. 

I knew he would flash and make some splash plays for us, but he is certainly ahead of schedule from a technical standpoint. 

IN KOCUREK WE TRUST

Honestly, his comp is Chris Jones. Similar builds. Kinlaw might be more of a quick twitch athlete, whereas jones is very smooth when he moves. Lots of similarities in their game though

where is @sherm? Time to take some credit big boy, bask in the glory that is Kinlaw