Ryan Tannehill

Blackstar12

48 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

With the way Tannehill managed to turn his career around what other QBs would have had a similar path if they ended up in the right system?

2022 Joe Burrow if he lives long enough behind that swinging gate Cincinnati calls an OLine

got to a team with a good OL, good run game, and good downfield weapons to capitalize on play action

he was never awful for miami, he was in that dalton-esque purgatory. he's in that average-ish tier of QB along with guys like cousins/carr whose level of play will essentially reflect their surroundings. good enough to win with.. but requires very good roster construction. the titans already had all those pieces in place, so in their situation it made plenty of sense to pay him

Edited by Turnobili

39 minutes ago, Chargers said:

Jameis Winston whenever he takes over for Drew could flourish in Payton's system. 

• Kamara
  • Thomas, Sanders plus some warm bodies.
  • Cook, Hill and Troutman.
  • Top 10 OL.
  • Payton Playcalling.

I feel like Brees will be stubborn this year but that a great situation to walk into potentially.

• Like 1

As for the "would have" group:

Mark Sanchez comes to mind, had the Jets not absolutely squandered him by the time he left. 

I always thought Matt Cassell played well enough in similar circumstances- good o-line and run game. 

Trent Edwards before the concussions ruined him.

Jake Locker got zero help from Tennessee. 

David Carr is an obvious choice. 

Those are the "showed promise at one point but never got a great shot at salvaging themselves before it was too late" guys I can think of that I remember scouting. 

As for guys who still can, take your pick. 

Mariota, Winston, Bortles, Rosen, Trubisky after Chicago, Brissett, Bridgewater*...

It's basically the "high pick to a bad team and it didn't work out" redemption story. 

5 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

Does Drew Brees count?

I'm guessing OP means a quarterback who didn't have a good career, but would have if they were in the right system with the right coach. 

Someone that comes to mind immediately is Randall Cunningham. He would thrive today. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

With the way Tannehill managed to turn his career around what other QBs would have had a similar path if they ended up in the right system?

seems that Bridgewater was doing well last year, but will that translate this year? It should, he has weapons, but wait and see.  Tannehill seems accurate, has good WR's and OL and of course running game. Not much of that was available in miami. It's good to see player leave a team and then have success elsewhere. I can't imagine anything worse than being stuck on a team that is terrible and will only get worse for some reason. 

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I'm guessing OP means a quarterback who didn't have a good career, but would have if they were in the right system with the right coach. 

Someone that comes to mind immediately is Randall Cunningham. He would thrive today. 

Good one. Buddy Ryan didn't seem to give a darn about the offense, and the QB coach that was helping him (Doug Scovil) died in 1989. Then, the Eagles hired Craptite, Randall got hurt twice, and he was eventually out of football until rescued by the Vikings.

Another old-school QB that didn't get much of a chance: Guy Benjamin, Montana's backup from 1981-83. Here is an interesting four-part story about him:

https://miamimigraine.blogspot.com/2008/06/guy-benjamin-and-david-woodley-part-one.html

The Dolphins drafted him in the second round of the 1978 draft out of Stanford (the highest they drafted a QB since drafting Bob Griese in Round 1 in 1967). However, the veterans (this is from Guy himself. He made a comment on one of the entries) got more protective of each other since their SB-winning years, and they didn't want who they called a "Stanford Hippie" taking over from Griese.

Eventually, Shula made David Woodley (a 1980 8th round pick by the Dolphins) the starter, and shipped Guy to the Saints that same year. They wouldn't play him (even though they were 1-15), and when Bum took over the next year, Guy demanded a trade to SF. Well, guess who was there? Joe Montana. He backed him up for three seasons before being out of football.

Now, I don't know how good this guy would have been, but Tony Hill (ex-Cowboy WR) allegedly said that he was the second-best QB he ever played with (after Staubach. Tony played with Benjamin in college).

However, QB-needy teams in Round 2, like KC and the Giants, should have taken a flier on him. Also, I don't know why NE took Matt Cavanaugh (who didn't have much arm strength. He would eventually succeed Benjamin as Montana's backup in San Fran) over Benjamin. He really didn't make his mark there, and they ended up drafting Eason five years later.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Perhaps I misunderstood his meaning, but I figured he was referring to Brees pre-NOs where he was solid but not GOAT territory until going there and blowing up.