Ryan Tannehill

Blackstar12

Piggybacking off another thread, Lynn Dickey. This was a while ago, but he probably would have had a more successful career if he went to an organization like the 49ers, Redskins, or Chargers in the early 80's. I think he would have already been in his 30's by that point. Had some success as a passer, but without a running game or defense Dickey felt the heat hard. It wasn't like the Packers organization was at the forefront of offensive innovation at the time. Dickey's early days in Houston were worse. The guy had talent though. 

Maybe Brian Sipe if he wasn't in Cleveland. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

17 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

With the way Tannehill managed to turn his career around what other QBs would have had a similar path if they ended up in the right system?

There has been no career turnaround for Tannehill, because he's always been this good. He had three straight years averaging like 25 TD passes, then Calais Campbell landed on Tanny's knee which sadly caused him to miss the Fins' 2016 playoff run and the entire 2017 season. Then missed 5 games in 2018 too, before the total team rebuild commenced for 2019.

Winning a LOT more games with RB Henry, it's very nice to see Tanny prosper in a better situation.

"Coach, just give me the NFL's leading rusher and I can make better throws."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FinSting said:

There has been no career turnaround for Tannehill, because he's always been this good. He had three straight years averaging like 25 TD passes, then Calais Campbell landed on Tanny's knee which sadly caused him to miss the Fins' 2016 playoff run and the entire 2017 season. Then missed 5 games in 2018 too, before the total team rebuild commenced for 2019.

Winning a LOT more games with RB Henry, it's very nice to see Tanny prosper in a better situation.

"Coach, just give me the NFL's leading rusher and I can make better throws."

Agree with this.

Tannehill was never “bad” as many seem to think. He was average in Miami with a worse supporting cast/coaching and now on a team with a better cast he’s playing better.

My thinking on QBs has always been, especially with early round talent, there's very, very few "busts" who couldn't have been at least solid pros if things had gone slightly differently. Quarterback is the hardest position to play in pro-sport. You combine the pressure, the media and generally short-leash young players get and most will fail, but that doesn't mean they didn't physically have the ability to succeed - or that they couldn't succeed if they were given another chance. Alex Smith is a good example. 

Look at Cody Kessler for the Browns, sure he wasn't world-beating, but if he had been a 1st over-all pick that first season would have netted him at least 2 years in the job to learn and improve. Instead new coaches need splash moves and to make their mark, so he's sidelined to sit on the bench for which team signs him.

The line between success/failure in the NFL is razor thin and as much to do with timing and luck as anything else. There are plenty of journeyman QBs who NEARLY could have had great careers. Look at Trent Green - he was a solidly capable QB. Who's to say he wouldn't be in the HOF if he hadn't torn up his knee 1999? That supporting cast and coach could have put him in the MVP race year-on-year, and then who has ever heard of Warner?