Week #5 Gameday Thread Steelers vs. Jaguars

Steeler Hitman

12 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I really think about 90% of the blame lies on the offense.

I agree that our losses are more on the offense than the defense, but....

12 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Our defense is more than good enough to win the Super Bowl.

...this is just blatantly false.

I mean, if our offense was playing  at the level we all hoped it would, it MIGHT be, but lets be real here....our defense has yet to face a semi decent offense.  Here are the juggernauts we have played thus far...

1) The Browns led by a rookie QB.

2) The Vikings led by a 3rd string QB in Case Keenum.

3) A Bears team QB'd by freaking Mike Glennon, a backup caliber QB.

4) The Ravens mediocre at best offense.

5) A Jags team with a mediocre QB and the only great player being a rookie RB.

...so lets not put them on a pedestal they dont belong on just because our offense has out-sucked them.    Has our defense played well at times?   Sure, but have they been tested by a playoff caliber offense?    No.   Not even close.     Our safeties are laughably bad and Im not even really sure what to think of our CBs yet because, as Ive said, they have really had much of a chance to show what they can do.   Watt is still learning and is up and down.    Dupree isnt nearly as good as we need him to be.    Shazier has yet to prove he is worth a huge contract IMO....and if we pay him big money, it will be out of desperation, similar to what we did with Timmons.    Tuitt and Heyward are the only two I regularly trust, and even they have had some issues....but probably because most the players behind them are either inconsistent or they just suck.

Bottom line....our defense WOULD be good enough if our offense was playing up to its expectations....but our defense is still extremely vulnerable to good defenses, or as we have seen, some average offenses as well.     

Maybe people are misunderstanding what I meant. I don't think our defense is good enough to win the Super Bowl by itself. This team can win a Super Bowl with the defense we have, unless you think we're not as good as the Falcons or Pats from last year. If our offense can play to even close to its potential we can win the Super Bowl. This defense is far from a juggernaut but it is opportunistic and can get after the passer. Our defense was garbage last year and we made the Championship game. If people don't think it has improved since then, they're delusional. 

Ya I'm with you.  Its hard for me to be mad at the defense when the payroll of this team heavily leans towards the offense.  There is no reason for the offense to struggle like it has.  At every level, pretty much every player.  This team has no business being carried by its defense.

The way the Defense is built, it should hold MOST Offenses to 21pts. The way the Offense is built, it should score 28pts on MOST Defenses. The Defense is playing above my expectations but as mentioned by 43, they haven't exactly played a potent Offense. The Offense OTH  is playing waaaay below expectations. The Defense has played well enough to win every game so far IMO. The most they've given up is 23 (I'm not counting the Jags' 30 as many of those were put on a silver platter by Ben) and 6 of those pts were given up in OT. This Offense should have been able to put up at least 18 on the Bears. They didn't. This team is struggling because of the Offense and only because of the Offense. How can I say this? I'll explain. The Defense is doing the job that was expected of them given the blueprint that was created....Put up a lot of points so teams can't run the ball and draft elite Pass Rushers for when teams have to play catch up. That hasn't happened.

Archived