Sign in to follow this  
pf9

Revamping playoff seeding

Since the NFL just wants to make as much money as possible just have all 32 teams make the playoffs, seed it out like March Madness based on the regular season. Then you have a 5 round playoff but get 31 games out of it 

yolo

9 hours ago, Malfatron said:

if i hear "reverse mirror" one more damn time lol

Would a "reverse mirror" be a window?

Being fair doesn’t make it good. 

Why would watching elite teams play in the Super Bowl or Conference Championship be bad? We were likely waiting all season for those matchups.

If anything they should go back to six teams in each conference. I have almost no interest in watching the 2 Seed play the 7.

On 9/22/2020 at 11:13 PM, Blackstar12 said:

I liked the old format top 6 seeds in each conference. It worked for decades only reason they changed it was added games and revenue.

I agree with this, however...

The bad thing about 6 teams each was that an 11-5 would be in the #2 and undeserving of a bye while hosting a 10-6 or an 11-5 Divisional week because of some fluke tie breaker. Even H2H tie breaker is not always fair because of how injuries play out over the year and where the game is played. 7 teams makes the the difference between 2-3 negligible.

However, you can have two teams vying at 14 to 15 wins while the rest of the pack are around 9 or 10 wins. However, that would disincentivize resting players until the #1 seed is secured, although playing for home field advantage is an imperative in of itself.

Here’s the bottom line. You finally come back down to Earth after a relaxing Holiday season. The weather outside sucks. There is nothing to look forward to as your New Year’s resolution has been the same for the past 15 years. But... you have an NFL TRIPLE header not one, but two days back to back, featuring two #2 seeds. That’s something NFL fans never experienced in history. That is a multi day event. Overkill??? Perhaps. But it’s something new. No other weekend, besides mostly ****ty Thanksgiving games, will be like that.

Edited by WheatieMan

14 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Being fair doesn’t make it good. 

Why would watching elite teams play in the Super Bowl or Conference Championship be bad? We were likely waiting all season for those matchups.

If anything they should go back to six teams in each conference. I have almost no interest in watching the 2 Seed play the 7.

Like I said, seeing teams who had to start the playoffs on the road - especially the lowest seed in each conference - win the Super Bowl is a real feelgood story.

My Packers are one of the two #6 seeds that have won the Super Bowl, doing so in 2010 without ever enjoying the advantage of the Green Bay winter weather at Lambeau Field. If we were fine with the Packers winning the Super Bowl that year despite being on the road all postseason long (except for fans of the Packers' division rivals), then we should be fine with 16 playoff teams seeded by record without automatically giving top 4 seeds to division winners (which could even happen in the 14-team bracket, imagine a division winner being sent all the way to the #7 seed in their conference because their division was weak, but they still go on to win the Super Bowl. How is that not a feelgood story?).

Edited by pf9

5 minutes ago, pf9 said:

Like I said, seeing teams who had to start the playoffs on the road - especially the lowest seed in each conference - win the Super Bowl is a real feelgood story.

My Packers are one of the two #6 seeds that have won the Super Bowl, doing so in 2010 without ever enjoying the advantage of the Green Bay winter weather at Lambeau Field. If we were fine with the Packers winning the Super Bowl that year despite being on the road all postseason long (except for fans of the Packers' division rivals), then we should be fine with 16 playoff teams seeded by record without automatically giving top 4 seeds to division winners (which could even happen in the 14-team bracket, imagine a division winner being sent all the way to the #7 seed in their conference because their division was weak, but they still go on to win the Super Bowl. How is that not a feelgood story?).

Because football unlike other sports is a single elimination game where variables can seriously screw things up. 

You play all regular season to eliminate variable. You try to win your division to guarantee yourself a play off birth and one road game, you try to be a top 2 seed to get a bye, you try to be the best team in your conference to get a bye and have home field throughout. It’s all about earning positioning to eliminate elements of chance because you don’t get a best of 3, 5, or 7 where you can validate you are the better team even in the face of an upset.

Adding 16 is stupid. At that point you are eliminating the bye week, and forcing more games so really everybody is just playing for varying degrees of home field 

I prefer a situation where the conference title games are the 1 and 2 seeds facing each other and guaranteeing powerhouse match ups of the best teams and then some combo in the SB. And if a situation like the Packers in 2010, Giants in 2007 or 2012 Ravens happens, they basically had to go through a murderers row on the road to break in there and it’s completely earned by that point because they had to do so many improbable things. The point is to get the best possible matchup so the winner can say “we are clearly the validated best team in football”. Adding more variable just kinda diminishes it 

• Like 1

The NFL is no longer the only major league with a single elimination round. MLB, though suspending it this year, adopted a single-elimination round in 2012.

Two winners of that round have gone on to win the World Series.

If the 1 and 2 seeds get into the conference title games every year, it is going to get to a point where people are tired of that happening.

Without Cinderella teams, sports would be boring as hell.

It was a Cinderella team that won the first College Football Playoff. It was a Cinderella team that was the first Stanley Cup winner to technically have lost more games than they won in a season. It was a Cinderella team that won the 1914 World Series after having been in last place on Independence Day. It was a Cinderella team that gave the AFL its first claim to producing the World Champions.

Sports needs more feelgood stories like that. Especially the NFL.

Edited by pf9

10 hours ago, pf9 said:

The NFL is no longer the only major league with a single elimination round. MLB, though suspending it this year, adopted a single-elimination round in 2012.

Two winners of that round have gone on to win the World Series.

If the 1 and 2 seeds get into the conference title games every year, it is going to get to a point where people are tired of that happening.

Without Cinderella teams, sports would be boring as hell.

It was a Cinderella team that won the first College Football Playoff. It was a Cinderella team that was the first Stanley Cup winner to technically have lost more games than they won in a season. It was a Cinderella team that won the 1914 World Series after having been in last place on Independence Day. It was a Cinderella team that gave the AFL its first claim to producing the World Champions.

Sports needs more feelgood stories like that. Especially the NFL.

That is not remotely the same thing. The World Series, ALCS and NLCS are all 7 game series. Then there are 4 divisional round series that are best of 5’s. Having the worst two teams play a “win and get in” at the start is not the same. They still have to 11 games against 3 teams to validate themselves. There’s no “oh they just got lucky a couple says”.  

What’s being suggested in football results in a chance that over 5 games the best team in the league gets a bad break once and it all goes to nothing. 

Sports should be a meritocracy where the best teams rise to the top. If a team that didn’t do as well in the regular season but feel they are the best, they should validate it on a harder path. In baseball you don’t need that because you ultimately go into series games. In football you need to lessen variables and advantages to even things out and reward teams for success and what they’ve proven in the regular season. 

Cinderella teams are nice, but they only matter when they actually had a hard path and it doesn’t feel cheap. Also if you think sports are boring if it’s just really great powerhouses smashing each other, I have to question your philosophy on competition. I like the playoffs because finally the great teams get to against each other. Conference weekend is always weird when there’s one mediocre team in the mix because you run the risk of them getting lucky and potentially ruining a good SB match up because they can’t get lucky twice. Which has happened in the past. At least a team like the Ravens needed to go through two powerhouses on the road to give you confidence in them beating the Niner’s 

Edited by lancerman

There's just no getting through to you is there?

To me, any Super Bowl match up is a good matchup regardless of where the teams were seeded in the conference.

What if the Jets beat the Steelers in the AFC title game in 2010? It would been the first 6 VS. 6 Super Bowl in history..

Edited by pf9

On 9/22/2020 at 5:03 PM, pf9 said:

They probably will force this change (along with college OT rules) upon the NFL in order for the networks to consider renewing their rights.

[citation missing]

OK, removing seeding priority for division winners would also help discourage teams who have clinched playoff berths from resting their starters as much since a division winner would know they actually have to finish with one of the four best records in the conference in order to start the playoffs at home.

Further illustrating my point that division leaders don't always deserve a top 4 seed, the Washington Football Team leads the NFC East now...and they're 1-3.

Under my seeding system, they would be sent all the way to the #7 seed, and as of now, they'd have to open the playoffs in one of the toughest home environments (regardless of fan attendance for this year) in Seattle.

My insistence that the playoffs will eventually expand to 16 teams stems from the fact that 1977 was the last season in which all playoff teams started the season on the same weekend in a non-strike season (1982 had a 16-team format due to the strike, which also removed seeding priority for division winners, both things worked to some extent that year, as a 6-seed in one conference - the Jets - advanced in the playoffs in a time where there normally wasn't a 6-seed, while Dallas got the #2 seed in the NFC despite technically being the second-best NFC East team that year, and they advanced all the way to the NFC title game, losing to the rivals in Washington).