Week 3 GDT: Raiders (2-0) @ Patriots (1-1)

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

With all that said I believe this game comes down to us hitting Newton in the mouth.  If we can hit him we will win.  If Abraham can come downhill and smack him if he breaks containment then you will see a lot of inaccurate throws after than.  If I am Guenther Abraham's primary job will be to come up and hit Newton every time he gets outside the tackles.

I don't disagree. It's why I singled out Abram as the guy who I think can be the biggets difference maker on that side of the ball. I do hope he plays just slightly more under control. More form tackles as opposed to launching himself.

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

With all that said I believe this game comes down to us hitting Newton in the mouth.  If we can hit him we will win.  If Abraham can come downhill and smack him if he breaks containment then you will see a lot of inaccurate throws after than.  If I am Guenther Abraham's primary job will be to come up and hit Newton every time he gets outside the tackles.

Fully agreed. I’d have Abram play shallow quite a bit and tell him to look for Newton Runs and smack him in the mouth. 

16 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I personally think he has looked very good. His arm will cause us problems but his legs will cause even more imo. We gave Teddy too many opportunities to tuck it and run and Cam is a much better scrambler than he is. If you have him in FF you better start him Sunday.

I just wish to reiterate that I came in here to correct a factually incorrect statement. That poster said "Cam can't throw", and I'm sure 99% of people know (having watched Cam on Sunday) that that is patently not true. 

We can argue HOW good he is, and I'm not saying he's even top half at this early stage, but just through watching highlights you could see he is throwing well. 

Otherwise, I've come to know Raider fans as really balanced, informed and fun posters to engage with. I know we'll get some good football chat in the rest of this week :)

@BayRaider 

As for the game, I'm really worried about our front 7 against your running offense. I can't see how we get off the field, tbh. And with that threat of Waller who can catch passes on third down, if we somehow manage to stuff the first 2 downs - I think it will be a long day for us on D.

Our O is actually already better than last season, which is weird to say. We all thought we'd be somewhere around 30-32nd in offense, having to rely on Cam runs or White getting open. But actually (contrary to the previously mentioned bad take), it's Cam's throwing that has generated most of our offensive output (only 2 games in, of course). We had NO running game last week, but we definitely need to get that back, because as mentioned, TOP will be crucial to both teams.

Can't call it, other than that it will be cloooose. All the best!

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Its been very impressive how the NE offence has been totally catered to Newton even after he signed almost as an afterthought very late in FA. Do you think the Belichick master plan was to always go after Newton in FA or did he just fall into Bill's lap and then he had to scramble around revising his schemes? 

I think the second one, personally :D 

Otherwise he'd have snapped him up quicker, surely?

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think the second one, personally :D 

Otherwise he'd have snapped him up quicker, surely?

I suppose so but the negotiations could have been ongoing for a long while before the actual signing, just seems like such a change of direction from a guy like Brady and his style of game. It'll be fascinating viewing as the season progresses anyway!  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NYRaider said:

People sleep on Cam for whatever reason but he was never terrible in Carolina. He missed all of last season but during the 2017 and 2018 seasons they were 17-13 when he started despite having a meh team around him. And in those 30 games he threw for 6,700 yards (64% comp), 46 TD, 29 INT, and also rushed for 1,250 yards and 10 TD. So essentially 8,000 yards and almost 60 TD's in his last two seasons with the Panthers. 

He has been money during the first two weeks and I expect to see more of the same this week. 

Cam was having his best passing season to date before his shoulder gave out on him in 2018. First 11 games, dude was completing 70% of his passes, 22/7 TD/INT ratio, on pace for 4000 plus yards before his shoulder. Then he came into 2019 hurt opting against off-season surgery and only got through two games before IR. But the last time we saw Newton fully healthy, like he appears to be now, Cam was definitely a good passer.

The notion that he can't throw is ludicrous. But then again @Bitty 2.0 is the same guy who said MVP Lamar Jackson can't read a defense...Soo..

Edited by SilverNBlackFan
  • Like 2

Saw it a couple times against the Saints, but Abram is a Jamal Adams type player. I would love to see Abrams blitz more. Saw him blitz more against the Saints, but I would be doing that a lot more. Especially against a team like the Pats. If the Pats beat you deep and your CBs can't hang with their slow WR's then you have bigger issue. Send Abrams more allow him to hit Cam even if its not for a sack. Those hits after a pass take a tool over time. When you don't have a pass rush a good blitzing safety can help out a lot. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Cam was having his best passing season to date before his shoulder gave out on him in 2018. First 11 games, dude was completing 70% of his passes, 22/7 TD/INT ratio, on pace for 4000 plus yards before his shoulder. Then he came into 2019 hurt opting against off-season surgery and only got through two games before IR. But the last time we saw Newton fully healthy, like he appears to be now, Cam was definitely a good passer.

The notion that he can't throw is ludicrous. But then again @Bitty 2.0 is the same guy who said MVP Lamar Jackson can't read a defense...Soo..

If you're so smart tell me when did Cam finish in the top 10 as a QB? 

Lamar is just started really reading defense this year. If you don't believe me just turn on the TV. Everyone is talking about how he's taking his game to the the next level.

9 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I just wish to reiterate that I came in here to correct a factually incorrect statement. That poster said "Cam can't throw", and I'm sure 99% of people know (having watched Cam on Sunday) that that is patently not true. 

We can argue HOW good he is, and I'm not saying he's even top half at this early stage, but just through watching highlights you could see he is throwing well. 

Otherwise, I've come to know Raider fans as really balanced, informed and fun posters to engage with. I know we'll get some good football chat in the rest of this week :)

@BayRaider 

As for the game, I'm really worried about our front 7 against your running offense. I can't see how we get off the field, tbh. And with that threat of Waller who can catch passes on third down, if we somehow manage to stuff the first 2 downs - I think it will be a long day for us on D.

Our O is actually already better than last season, which is weird to say. We all thought we'd be somewhere around 30-32nd in offense, having to rely on Cam runs or White getting open. But actually (contrary to the previously mentioned bad take), it's Cam's throwing that has generated most of our offensive output (only 2 games in, of course). We had NO running game last week, but we definitely need to get that back, because as mentioned, TOP will be crucial to both teams.

Can't call it, other than that it will be cloooose. All the best!

What about the Miami game? What that doesn't count?

Seattle's defense gave up 450 passing yd and 2 TDS to Atlanta so i guess Cam didn't do that great.

Edited by Bitty 2.0

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Saw it a couple times against the Saints, but Abram is a Jamal Adams type player. I would love to see Abrams blitz more. Saw him blitz more against the Saints, but I would be doing that a lot more. Especially against a team like the Pats. If the Pats beat you deep and your CBs can't hang with their slow WR's then you have bigger issue. Send Abrams more allow him to hit Cam even if its not for a sack. Those hits after a pass take a tool over time. When you don't have a pass rush a good blitzing safety can help out a lot. 

I agrre, Abram and Littleton need to be sent. Cant depend on the front 4 to generate pressure by themselves. 

Edited by Geezy
misspell

Raiders 35, Patriots 20

I think the Saints D is scarier than the Patriots D. 

Same game plan applies for me: Run the ball, chew up clock, focus on the short-intermediate pass game, take limited shots downfield. 

Our pass rush isn't good, but our Run D has been fairly stout and should hold up well enough against Newton in that regard. 

If we play the way we did from the 2nd to 4th Q (sans the wet paper bag coverage we played at the end), the sky is the limit for us despite our obvious limitations in some areas. Our D has enough umph to make some stops and our O is potent when it clicks. 

8 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Raiders 35, Patriots 20

I think the Saints D is scarier than the Patriots D. 

Same game plan applies for me: Run the ball, chew up clock, focus on the short-intermediate pass game, take limited shots downfield. 

Our pass rush isn't good, but our Run D has been fairly stout and should hold up well enough against Newton in that regard. 

If we play the way we did from the 2nd to 4th Q (sans the wet paper bag coverage we played at the end), the sky is the limit for us despite our obvious limitations in some areas. Our D has enough umph to make some stops and our O is potent when it clicks. 

Plus the Raiders have a lot of young players with limited playing time. They should get better as the season moves along.