Herndon is doomed under Gase

dcat

Case in point: Mike Gesicki

Stats at Penn State (2014-17):  129 catches, 1,481 yards, 15 TDs, 11.5 yards per catch in 45 games

Stats as a rookie, with Adam Gase as HC (2018):  22 catches, 202 yards, 0 TDs, 9.2 yards per catch in 16 games (7 starts)

Stats 2019-present:  62 catches, 730 yards, 6 TDs, 11.8 yards per catch in 18 games (7 starts)

The far more tragic issue is that Darnold is doomed under gase as well.  We will never know if he could have been good.

Just now, ekill08x said:

Yeah maybe, but you can’t blame the coach when you’re dropping great passes in the end zone when your team desperately needs a score or fumbling when the game is still in reach against the bills. Herndon underperforming this year is 100% self inflicted. 

The guy had one target on a bubble screen the entire first half, with Hogan primarily as the #1 WR. He's blocking on 35% of passing opportunities (Highest among starting TEs), and only playing 74% of the overall snaps. With our current stable of 'weapons', Gases refusal to use Herndon as a primary receiver is simply mindboggling.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NJC33 said:

The guy had one target on a bubble screen the entire first half, with Hogan primarily as the #1 WR. He's blocking on 35% of passing opportunities (Highest among starting TEs), and only playing 74% of the overall snaps. With our current stable of 'weapons', Gases refusal to use Herndon as a primary receiver is simply mindboggling.  

And it's not like he's using Ryan Griffin either, unless he is still injured (?).  And last year was evidence that Darnold could click with TE when he and Griffin connected for a little while there. Gase doesn't use TEs as offnsive weapons.  I have no idea why.

6 minutes ago, dcat said:

And it's not like he's using Ryan Griffin either, unless he is still injured (?).  And last year was evidence that Darnold could click with TE when he and Griffin connected for a little while there. Gase doesn't use TEs as offnsive weapons.  I have no idea why.

It’s awful. Especially when out OT play has been good. So the need to stay in and clock isn’t there as much. We were worse off the last 2 years at OT and threw to them more. So it makes no sense. But that sums up Gase.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dcat said:

Yep, that's what's so frustrating. His 'offense' doesn't utilize the position, even if that means ignoring the two best receiving options available.  

15 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Yep, that's what's so frustrating. His 'offense' doesn't utilize the position, even if that means ignoring the two best receiving options available.  

Exactly.

Gase logic.... the OT play is better and we have awful weapons. So let me keep my 2 TEs who are weapons in to help the OTs block, so my off the street WRs can run awful routes.

14 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Yeah maybe, but you can’t blame the coach when you’re dropping great passes in the end zone when your team desperately needs a score or fumbling when the game is still in reach against the bills. Herndon underperforming this year is 100% self inflicted. 

I wouldn't say 100%

1 hour ago, Bianconero said:

I wouldn't say 100%

Touche. Maybe not 100% but Herndon hasnt done himself any favors either. I'm an accountability guy. I can't just blame the coach on everything. I am disappointed in Herndon so far. Is Gase helping, absolutely not. The good news is that there is 14 weeks left but its time to start showing up and making plays. 95% of the team lost that game before stepping onto the field on Sunday. Almost nobody wanted to play. 

• Like 1