Why do we struggle against the 43 Under Defense?

Chiefer

Seems that some of Mahomes Worst games are against the Pete Carrol style 43 Under defense. Seattle, 9ers, Chargers all run a version of it. They’re perfectly designed for Mahomes, they try to eliminate the big play and expect the front 4 to bring it(they usually do) 

you’d think Reid would have found some way to counter it by now. We went full on deep pass plays and took out Keizer/Sherman from the game plan. OL stood no chance, even Schwartz was getting beat. 

I think a large part of our blocking woes are attributable to Reid's answer to this question.

Last season, we sold out the run to protect Mahomes. This year, we are trusting Mahomes' elusiveness more and trying to generate better short and intermediate presence. Obviously, Clyde is a big part of that as well. It's also why I think we need another pass catching TE sooner than later.

It's worth noting that the 4-3 under is vulnerable to fatigue. There have been three double digit leads overcome in the 4th quarter of Super Bowls, all in the last ten years and all against a version of this defense.

J

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I think a large part of our blocking woes are attributable to Reid's answer to this question.

Last season, we sold out the run to protect Mahomes. This year, we are trusting Mahomes' elusiveness more and trying to generate better short and intermediate presence. Obviously, Clyde is a big part of that as well. It's also why I think we need another pass catching TE sooner than later.

It's worth noting that the 4-3 under is vulnerable to fatigue. There have been three double digit leads overcome in the 4th quarter of Super Bowls, all in the last ten years and all against a version of this defense.

J

I have full confidence that Mahomes can overcome it eventually, but it’s a lot of hits you’re putting on him. 

we used a lot more short passes, runs and focused on efficiency against the Texans(lots of Keizer and Sherman, and runs) but went away from that against the Chargers. Even though the Chargers are built to attack the deep pass.

Pressure up the middle is more on an issue.  Mahomes has yet to look comfortable stepping up into the pocket this year.   Could be he’s still developing some trust up there, or both the OL and Mahomes are still getting I’m back into the groove.    

For the most part it’s been mainly just the 2 Bosa brothers that have caused us the most issues.   I’d put any amount of money on it not being the scheme Andy/Mahomes doesn’t know how to beat,  we have guys open, just unable to find them. 

7 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Fisher is OK. Not elite, but also not a problem.

mehhhhhhh. Patrick is struggling early this season. I'm blaming the Oline for that.

51/79 for 64%. Avg. completion 6.5yds. These are quite UN-Mahomes like. Patrick is running for his life. He rarely gets to set up in the pocket before being flushed.

56 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

mehhhhhhh. Patrick is struggling early this season. I'm blaming the Oline for that.

51/79 for 64%. Avg. completion 6.5yds. These are quite UN-Mahomes like. Patrick is running for his life. He rarely gets to set up in the pocket before being flushed.

Mahomes is great, but he isn’t without blame on this.   I think part of it is he’s still getting back into the flow.  

OL hasn’t been great,  but Mahomes definitely should have saved Schwartz a sack if he stepped up in the pocket.  The pocket was there, he just looked unsure of himself.. there’s been quite a few pressures where Mahomes actually caused them. 

4 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Understandable. They changed blocking schemes and things are not yet in a groove.

J