Sign in to follow this  
jebrick

Good Bye Shade Tree

Per NFL transaction report, Steelers DL Dan McCullers listed under "CONTRACTS TERMINATED BY PLAYER" category.

Most that end up there are PS players who sign to active rosters. Seems like Big Dan is headed to another club.

— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) September 22, 2020

Thus ends McCullers time with the Steelers
  • Like 1

the nick name was all that we liked. Really, he might have had a few snaps where he played like a legit DL, the rest were PS quality and then he never even played much.  Wasted pick

9 hours ago, 3rivers said:

the nick name was all that we liked. Really, he might have had a few snaps where he played like a legit DL, the rest were PS quality and then he never even played much.  Wasted pick

Wasted pick?

He was the last comp pick of the 6th round, and he hung around our roster for 6 seasons.

He was never more than an extremely average backup, and I feel like he was a wasted ROSTER SPOT a few years, but he wasnt wasted PICK.  Dri Archer, Shaq Richardson, Wesley Johnson and Jordan Zumwalt were all players we drafted before him.   THOSE were wasted picks.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, 43M said:

Wasted pick?

He was the last comp pick of the 6th round, and he hung around our roster for 6 seasons.

He was never more than an extremely average backup, and I feel like he was a wasted ROSTER SPOT a few years, but he wasnt wasted PICK.  Dri Archer, Shaq Richardson, Wesley Johnson and Jordan Zumwalt were all players we drafted before him.   THOSE were wasted picks.

dmc ->  useless. Maybe not as useless as the aforementioned, but definitely worth a mention 👏  

the time to move on has arrived, this defence won't miss him or the aforementioned thats for sure. 

I LOVED the pick in 2014.  

He was getting tippled teamed at times at Tennessee.  Too bad his success was never replicated in the NFL.

On 9/25/2020 at 12:37 AM, 43M said:

Wasted pick?

I wouldn't quite call him a "wasted pick," but definitely not an effective one. I would say the same thing about Jarvis Jones who was a #1 pick who stuck around way too long as well. Money was the issue with Jones and why he probably left earlier as well (fifth year option declined).  I probably had over-inflated expectations of Mt. McCullers. He was freakishly large and could move. A man that big, strong, and that has good movement for his size and stature should make for a very solid NG/DT.  I wasn't expecting Big Snack, but yes I thought he could've been like Chris Hoke from a production standpoint. He left me frustrated many times because I believed in him and his abilities. He always disappointed or underwhelmed me with his play compared to his potential.

He was never more than an extremely average backup, and I feel like he was a wasted ROSTER SPOT a few years, but he wasn't wasted PICK. 

Well said. I will agree with that  statement100%

Dri Archer, Shaq Richardson, Wesley Johnson and Jordan Zumwalt were all players we drafted before him.   THOSE were wasted picks.

Add 2008 draft pick OLB Bruce Davis who was another guy who looked the part and never played up to it. Picks like that contributed to the team not making the playoffs 2012-2013 and the defense declining making the team shift to an offensive dominance. That hurt them 2014 -  2017 when the defense was very average (by Steelers standards). 

It was time for him to move on.  I am in the minority of those who want a decent NG.  Thus far our defensive lineman have played well and despite not having a Casey Hampton (Tyson, Cam and Tuitt have done a stellar (or I should say Steelers) job of stopping the run thus far. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Add 2008 draft pick OLB Bruce Davis who was another guy who looked the part and never played up to it. Picks like that contributed to the team not making the playoffs 2012-2013 and the defense declining making the team shift to an offensive dominance. That hurt them 2014 -  2017 when the defense was very average (by Steelers standards). 

It was time for him to move on.  I am in the minority of those who want a decent NG.  Thus far our defensive lineman have played well and despite not having a Casey Hampton (Tyson, Cam and Tuitt have done a stellar (or I should say Steelers) job of stopping the run thus far. 

davis was a waste, RD3 and just  never seemed interested or any good. He went to major school - who cares?   They will mis son picks now and then, as long as they hit on enough and have UFA fill in the other needs for the roster.  I like this roster more than most in the last 15 years. 

• Like 1

I never got the extreme attention paid to McCullers. He has NFL talent. He's nothing special, was never used much, and he never really kept his roster spot over anyone better. I think Steelers fans just have a weird fixation on certain positions.

I'm more or less surprised he stuck around because Tomlin's remarks on him were always pretty negative right from when he was first drafted. His post-pick press conference was basically dismissing questions from the media about his potential. He was a size prospect and that's it. And that's what he was and that's what he played like. He was a situational player who did fine in certain situations that have just become rarer as time has gone on.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I never got the extreme attention paid to McCullers. He has NFL talent. He's nothing special, was never used much, and he never really kept his roster spot over anyone better. I think Steelers fans just have a weird fixation on certain positions.

I'm more or less surprised he stuck around because Tomlin's remarks on him were always pretty negative right from when he was first drafted. His post-pick press conference was basically dismissing questions from the media about his potential. He was a size prospect and that's it. And that's what he was and that's what he played like. He was a situational player who did fine in certain situations that have just become rarer as time has gone on.

lets hope the rookie DL they drafted is much better than shade was/is