Is this defense for real? Or are they overachieving?

Jlowe22

Split from a different thread to generate more discussion. -Dome

And in reality, you realize we played two terrible offenses with terrible QBs, so I'd wager our defense to be 20-25th.  Which is a dramatic improvement, and may be enough for the playoffs if our offense can start clicking a little better.

13 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

Yardage give up is huge and one of the worst in the league, but points allowed and turnovers are totally ignored when ranking defenses based on yardage only. It’s tough to say exactly where we fall but middle of the pack seems about fair.

Look at the first two games vs. the second two, and I think it's a pretty fair balance considering our defense was starting an ENTIRE new LB corps, a rookie CB, a few 2nd year guys who need great tutelage, and a Head Coach who is still trying to figure out how to get Cam Jordan to run the ball between the defensive tackles.

10 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

And in reality, you realize we played two terrible offenses with terrible QBs, so I'd wager our defense to be 20-25th.  Which is a dramatic improvement, and may be enough for the playoffs if our offense can start clicking a little better.

And two offenses that include last season's most accurate passer (until his O-line went down) coupled with one of the best WR tandems (Diggs - Theilen) and a dynamic rookie (Cook) on one team, the other team possesses the arguable GOAT QB, best TE in the league, best Head Coach... probably ever. So, same as above, I'd say it balances out.

2 of the leagues best defenses, too. Minnesota and Carolina. I'm digging where our D is at, and where it's going, especially with momentum into the bye.

17 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Not completely true. Part of their current streak includes the second half of the Patriots game. And while Cam may be inconsistent, he's not terrible. Cutler however, ya he's hot garbage lol

44 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Not completely true. Part of their current streak includes the second half of the Patriots game. And while Cam may be inconsistent, he's not terrible. Cutler however, ya he's hot garbage lol

I know Cam's a wildcard, but on his worst days, he's capable of being the worst QB in the league.  And he definitely had one of his worst days against us.

Well they WERE playing pretty damn good in preseason. They look terrible against Minny and NE, then look great against Carolina and Miami.

To me, that points to them needing those first two games to gel and get their feet under them. I'm saying they are for real. Though they will surely put up some stinkers here and there.

2 hours ago, BossierWhoDat said:

Well they WERE playing pretty damn good in preseason. They look terrible against Minny and NE, then look great against Carolina and Miami.

To me, that points to them needing those first two games to gel and get their feet under them. I'm saying they are for real. Though they will surely put up some stinkers here and there.

Reguardless whom you play I think its obvious by now that no NFL game is a gimmie anymore and the biggest thing you wanna see from a young defense is progress... Were seeeing that from Allens squad.

15 hours ago, BossierWhoDat said:

We discussed the "vanilla" defense we typically see in pre season. Well, offenses are like that too, so I'm sure some of the young guys were shocked a bit when they entered "real game" play, on Monday Night, on the road, facing a team with high emotions (Randy Moss Enshrinement).

Then you get a home game on a short week against one of the best chess players the game has ever know in Bill Belechick, who happens to have the GOAT at QB and arguably the best TE the league has seen in years, if not ever, and the defense actually did okay, after the 1st quarter.

So, 5 quarters of lousy defense followed by 11 quarters of really decent defense. That's a good trend, and moving in the right direction.

I like your post, Bossier. I think maybe they are for real. This is a tough schedule, so time will tell, of course.

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

I like your post, Bossier. I think maybe they are for real. This is a tough schedule, so time will tell, of course.

Thanks Iowa. I'm feeling the excitement, but if they come out after the bye and beat a good Lions squad... I'M ALL IN lol

1 hour ago, BossierWhoDat said:

Thanks Iowa. I'm feeling the excitement, but if they come out after the bye and beat a good Lions squad... I'M ALL IN lol

Time will tell...

At the time we played them the Panthers and Dolphins offense were struggling... Hell, Gase called his offense garbage the week before we played them!

Check back with me after week 7 once we faced Stafford and Rodgers.

6 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Time will tell...

At the time we played them the Panthers and Dolphins offense were struggling... Hell, Gase called his offense garbage the week before we played them!

Check back with me after week 7 once we faced Stafford and Rodgers.

Dolphins offense suck yes, but I wouldn't call the panthers offense struggling. In their first 2 games they faced the Niners and Bills. They easily handled the niners as they should and then scored 9 points against the bills who have an incredible defense and they had just beat the undefeated falcons. 

Then they faced our defense who dominated them for the most part. They proceeded this loss by facing the Pats and beating them in a shootout, which is no easy feat.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the Panther's offense is pretty good and the fact that our defense was able to do what they did to them shows that they have improved vastly. Maybe this time is actually different and we have a top 20 defense instead of being the bottom feeders. 

2 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Like i said... Get back with me after our next two games. If were still singing this defenses praises then they are for real.

Ridin shotgun with you on this one Worm. Let's see where this defense ranks at the halfway mark.

17 hours ago, SWATcha said:

Ridin shotgun with you on this one Worm. Let's see where this defense ranks at the halfway mark.

If you’re riding shotgun, I guess I’m just dragging off the back bumper cause I’d imagine Worm drives a 2-seater with SPEEEEEEEEEED

7 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

If you’re riding shotgun, I guess I’m just dragging off the back bumper cause I’d imagine Worm drives a 2-seater with SPEEEEEEEEEED

Nagh... Got room fo mo my man!

Rockin a GMC 2500 diesel 4×4 crew cab with 9" suspension and 3" body and 42" Yokohamas. Lol 

Archived