Week Three Game Day Thread: Green Bay Packers at New Orleans Taints

MacReady

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

Zach Kruse -    Packers without Davante Adams and Kenny Clark at practice Wednesday. Saints without Michael Thomas, Marcus Davenport and Trey Hendrickson. Even injury trade if all five don't play Sunday night?

I'd say michael thomas is the most important factor.  Brees just looks awful thus far, and having thomas back would help a lot.

Rodgers without Adams is a ??? but he did ok last week.  More confident that the packers can figure out things offensively without Adams than I've ever been in the past.

My main concern in this one is Pettine. I've reached the point with him that I did with Capers after that disastrous 2012 playoff game against SF in that I have zero faith in him not getting completely outschemed/outcoached by a creative playcaller. We already know Payton's resume there...he's one of the best in the league and has been for a very long time.

On the flip side, I feel good about this offense getting their points with MLF's playcalling.

Pack over Saints 34-30

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

My main concern in this one is Pettine. I've reached the point with him that I did with Capers after that disastrous 2012 playoff game against SF in that I have zero faith in him not getting completely outschemed/outcoached by a creative playcaller. We already know Payton's resume there...he's one of the best in the league and has been for a very long time.

On the flip side, I feel good about this offense getting their points with MLF's playcalling.

Pack over Saints 34-30

I would've fired him earlier. He gave up in the game against the Giants the year before "because he didn't have his guys" which was the excuse we always got. I'll give Pettine a pass for a terrible IDL that Gutey won't address, but I see a major design flaw given that Pettine ignores stopping the run IMHO. Frankly, I'll be ok if he's $#!^canned after this year but hope to seriously address the IDL after this season. 

34-30 sounds good enough to me, but I don't think it'll be that close or that many points may be scored. New Orleans knows that they can beat us by controlling the clock and running the ball down our throats; especially with Michael Thomas hurt and Drew Brees tailing off as a passer. I've got this one 27-17 New Orleans. Kamara goes for 102 with both a rushing and receiving TD with one of their TE's getting the other TD or Taysom Hill on a trick play scoring the other. We've gotten off to a rather slow start in both games so far and New Orleans has the defense to keep us spinning our wheels. We will be talking about how we were outcoached, unprepared, and how our IDL is STILL a major problem at this time next week and sadly, I think we go 0-3 in the next 3 games despite SF's issues. TB's win over us will be a statement game in which we get blown TF out by at least 24. Kenny Clark is our IDL and outside of Kirksey, we still have a major hole at ILB...

Edited by Joe

16 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Only teams who should rank higher than the Packers right now are the Chiefs and Ravens.

16 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

My Current Power Ranking:

1. Ravens (Best defense, best offense, best QB cap hit)
2. Chiefs (Would be higher, but repeating is something only one team has done this century)
3. Patriots (Younger, cheaper QB, same elite defense)
4. Packers (Defense has to change its mentality.  That's it)

8 hours ago, Joe said:

I would've fired him earlier. He gave up in the game against the Giants the year before "because he didn't have his guys" which was the excuse we always got. I'll give Pettine a pass for a terrible IDL that Gutey won't address, but I see a major design flaw given that Pettine ignores stopping the run IMHO. Frankly, I'll be ok if he's $#!^canned after this year but hope to seriously address the IDL after this season. 

34-30 sounds good enough to me, but I don't think it'll be that close or that many points may be scored. New Orleans knows that they can beat us by controlling the clock and running the ball down our throats; especially with Michael Thomas hurt and Drew Brees tailing off as a passer. I've got this one 27-17 New Orleans. Kamara goes for 102 with both a rushing and receiving TD with one of their TE's getting the other TD or Taysom Hill on a trick play scoring the other. We've gotten off to a rather slow start in both games so far and New Orleans has the defense to keep us spinning our wheels. We will be talking about how we were outcoached, unprepared, and how our IDL is STILL a major problem at this time next week and sadly, I think we go 0-3 in the next 3 games despite SF's issues. TB's win over us will be a statement game in which we get blown TF out by at least 24. Kenny Clark is our IDL and outside of Kirksey, we still have a major hole at ILB...

Did you watch either of the Saints games?

They aren't going to stay on the ground. They still think Brees is the man and will give him plenty of air time. Also their D is ok, but I don't see them slowing down Rodgers. His ball placement has been as good as it's been since he made the NFL look silly. 

I'm not saying the Saints can't win, but if they do, it's going to be a shoot out.

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

First week we are facing a pair of decent corners and a proper pass rusher. If we can score on these guys then I'll believe we are for real

Pretty much this... As much as I have enjoyed the beatdowns on the Vikings and Lions both had inexperienced/poor corner play with bad interior d-lines. I'm interested to see this team go up against a real defense. My thought is we are going to be OK but not look like the world beaters we were in the first couple weeks. I think a 24 or 27 point performance. 

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

First week we are facing a pair of decent corners and a proper pass rusher. If we can score on these guys then I'll believe we are for real

That's how I feel, but, those Saints corners are very grabby.  Do doubt they are seasoned better than anyone else we've faced, but grabby is grabby.

And Malcolm Jenkins was toasted the entire game against the Raiders.  We gotta get some athletic guys on him and feast.

While avoiding their LB Davis in the middle.  He can flat out hurt someone out there.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

That's how I feel, but, those Saints corners are very grabby.  Do doubt they are seasoned better than anyone else we've faced, but grabby is grabby.

And Malcolm Jenkins was toasted the entire game against the Raiders.  We gotta get some athletic guys on him and feast.

While avoiding their LB Davis in the middle.  He can flat out hurt someone out there.

I saw much of the same when I watched Monday night. Jenkins is an iron man vet, you can’t completely write him off as a weak link, but I would test his quickness early. I wonder if the Saints will send him on a few pressures to mitigate his weakness in coverage.

Demaurio Davis was everywhere making plays-tackles, coverage and rushing. As much as anyone on their D, we need to get someone on him.  Maybe Big Dog can chip him at the line and we run some old school lead block plays and let Deguara try his luck chopping him down. He will be a factor.

• Like 1

Think this is going to be a tough game, I'm still not convinced about how good the Packers may be. I mean, how bad are the Vikings and Lions, both teams look like they could be fighting over a top 5 draft pick. Not having a crowd in NO is huge for the Packers.

I think N.O. comes out and tests the waters with their run game, if its successful early, I think they stick with it heavily. I'm still not convince with Lazard or MVS either, they need a lot more consistency to be considered threats in this offense.

With all that negativity, I do think GB squeezes one out in the end thanks to Crosby.

GB- 27

NO-26

• Like 1