Week 3 GDT: Rams (2-0) @ Bills (2-0)

Trentwannabe

Wow what a game. Always thought this was a schedule loss from the NFL, giving us back to back 10am starts with the second being against a really good team. Rams came out flat but unbelievable how they battled back. I was honestly upset with the INT being ruled in favor of the Rams - I felt the momentum shifting and wouldn't have minded 1st and 30 for the Bills, and I hate when refs get things wrong. Other than those two calls (INT and PI), I felt it was a really well called game, although I would have liked to have seen the replay of the roughing the passer foul called against the Rams that offset the Bills holding call on their first TD drive down on the goal line. Someone said it above, but there's no horse collar in the pocket, so all those times Josh Allen was complaining he was in the wrong - everything Donald did was legal.

We were overdue for that PI karma, and I'm really glad it came against an AFC team instead of a division rival or even a conference game.

Great game guys - I think both teams passed the test this week and showed they are legit. You guys better not let the Patriots win the AFC East this year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

All week I heard this was the litmus test.. We passed.

What's up with our defense though boys? 3 straight games we did the Jekyll and Hyde thing and eventually its gonna bite us in the ***

It is concerning. 

We need a physical presence in the middle of the DL. Oliver is facing all the double teams and Butler, Phillips and Jefferson haven’t been consistent enough. I think we miss Star more than some of us expected.

If we get better at stopping the run and the offense keeps scoring we can make teams one dimensional. These next 3 games are huge test with Jacobs, Henry and CEH coming up. 

24 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Wow what a game. Always thought this was a schedule loss from the NFL, giving us back to back 10am starts with the second being against a really good team. Rams came out flat but unbelievable how they battled back. I was honestly upset with the INT being ruled in favor of the Rams - I felt the momentum shifting and wouldn't have minded 1st and 30 for the Bills, and I hate when refs get things wrong. Other than those two calls (INT and PI), I felt it was a really well called game, although I would have liked to have seen the replay of the roughing the passer foul called against the Rams that offset the Bills holding call on their first TD drive down on the goal line. Someone said it above, but there's no horse collar in the pocket, so all those times Josh Allen was complaining he was in the wrong - everything Donald did was legal.

We were overdue for that PI karma, and I'm really glad it came against an AFC team instead of a division rival or even a conference game.

Great game guys - I think both teams passed the test this week and showed they are legit. You guys better not let the Patriots win the AFC East this year.

I could be wrong but I believe I read the Rams requested back to back games out East because they had planned on staying here for the week. Obviously things changed with COVID. 

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff said:

People were to quick to judge a QB that everyone and their mother knew would take time to develop. He got thrown to the wolves and looks to have made it to the other side. It’s awesome to see, and hopefully it continues.

I mean this is a guy that hadn't ever completed over 60% of his passes in a season dating back to college. He never had a single game in college where he threw 20+ passes with a 70%+ completion percentage and only had 300+ passing yards in two games at Wyoming. Not to mention he had 0 300+ yard passing games and only threw 3+ TD's twice during his first 28 NFL starts. And he also had 3 times as many starts (9) where he completed 50% or less of his passes than he did (3) where he completed 70%+ of his passes. 

This year he already has 3 300+ passing yard performances, 2 3+ passing TD performances, and has completed over 70% of his passes in two games. If he keeps this up it will be probably the greatest improvement that we've ever seen from a QB one year to the next. 

28 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I could be wrong but I believe I read the Rams requested back to back games out East because they had planned on staying here for the week. Obviously things changed with COVID. 

Yeah that was the case. The Niners though didn’t they stay on the east coast back to back games against the Jets and Giants? 

What a roller coaster of a game lol. I don't know what it is about these 3rd quarters but we need to come out hotter from halftime.

Takeaways from the game : 

• Josh Allen is legit. 5 total TDs, 300+ passing yards - he should still be interception-less but it is what it is. Playing unbelievable. 
  • Diggs is a HUGE difference maker for this O. A true #1. Opens up the rest of the offense.
  • Gabriel Davis looks like a steal
  • Defense is so inconsistent. We typically don't let up long, consecutive TD drives and the Rams had their way with the D in the 2nd half. 
  • Cole Beasley is so dependable
  • Like 1

Overall great game, it is typical Bills fashion that a lead like that can end up with a near heart attack. This team loves to make you feel like you are on a Roller Coaster, I knew it was going to be close and assumed it was going to be in the Rams favor just because of how the bills have played in the past against a solid defense. This was a true test and the ability to come out firing on all cylinders was great. Once the INT happened the Momentum was in Rams favor and took the direction in the game to their side. I get that Refs make bad calls but at some point even if it was a penalty Kroft had the ball in hands and came down to the ground with it and even gave the ball to the ref so for him to say it was an INT is baffling. Then the idea of a ref saying it has to show enough evidence to overturn it is garbage in this case. Just overall disappointed with this call and luckily it didn't cost them the game as this was the call that almost cost them the game. Yes the team had an ability to over come it as they were still up but a team gets fired up and with no crowd to calm it down made a huge difference. The offense including Allen also looked rattled after that. The 3rd and 9 which had them in possible FG turned in to a false start on Daryl Williams which then led to the horsecollar strip sack giving the Rams great field position hurt tremendously. Had the false start not happened with Daryl, then this could have also changed the game. I dont believe that Gabriel Davis had PI but I do believe that their was contact after 5 yards and could have been a different call whether that would have mattered or not is questionable as they still would have had an automatic 1st down and the only thing off may have been yardage.

The bad: the defense was on the field for far to long in the 2nd half which lead to them getting gassed far to easily. The front 8-9 rotational dlineman should be more fresh and have to stop the run. 6 yards a crack for Henderson, which leads to the LBs having to stop them. Allen needs to secure the ball more I know it sounds to be to much but when he is scrambling he should have both hands on the ball and he just palms it which has led to the fumble issues. The penalties on the oline I saw 2 on winters and 1 on williams which cost them chances. Not to mention the ones that were offset as diggs should have had that 2nd touchdown.

The good: Another heck of a game for Allen, 300+ yds 4 td in the air and 1 on the ground cannot beat that. Levi was getting picked on week 1 and 2 with his ability to come away with the Int had put pressure off of him and show he shouldnt be picked on. Singletary has the moves at times which is great and he showed at times he isnt fumbling the ball which has been an issue with him in the pass. Gabriel Davis, the unsung hero rookie in this game was instrumental as it takes pressure off of guys like Diggs, Brown, and Beasley and proves hes the next man up. The ability to spread the ball around as Allen threw to 7 different guys and had 3 of them making tds. Finally Brian Daboll play calling, something I was questioning last year and he has been able to come around and make the calls that are not predictable in anyway. 

Under rated move of the day: Stefon Diggs, seems to be the 1st guy there congratulating his teammates who scored while being on the field. He proved it last week by stating to Daboll in the locker room to feed Brown and Beasley in the 2nd half of the Miami game and now this. The media view of him being a diva in Minnesota has completely shown to be false as he is just a competitor and wants to win. He is someone who has been a game changer with and without the ball when the offense is on the field. Edit: I almost forgot he took Ramsey out of the game and was able to score on him which made it so nice. Nothing against Rams fans but when a player comes out years before he was a Ram and talks smack to prove that he was wrong and then got worked on for an important TD it is just nice to see him eat crow and they couldn't do it without diggs.

Edited by soflbillsfan

16 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

What a roller coaster of a game lol. I don't know what it is about these 3rd quarters but we need to come out hotter from halftime.

Takeaways from the game : 

• Josh Allen is legit. 5 total TDs, 300+ passing yards - he should still be interception-less but it is what it is. Playing unbelievable. 
  • Diggs is a HUGE difference maker for this O. A true #1. Opens up the rest of the offense.
  • Gabriel Davis looks like a steal
  • Defense is so inconsistent. We typically don't let up long, consecutive TD drives and the Rams had their way with the D in the 2nd half. 
  • Cole Beasley is so dependable

I disagree on the bold.  we came out pretty hot in the 3rd qtr this game, I was very critical about this because they have had some weird stat of no points in the 3rd qtr in the last 5-6 games straight. They came out of the half 21-3 rams got the ball went 7 plays then went for it on 4th got stuffed at the 48 and then the bills marched down the field to go up 28-3. Then the bad call on INT happened the next time the offense got the ball. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Btw what happened with Quentin Spain, he’s just all of a sudden not a starter after what he did last year and the new contract?

Joe B said last year he may not have given up a sack but he was still a problem in the passing game. Joe B had also been saying since camp he thought Ford may move to LG when Feliciano comes back because of Spains  play. 

Bills can save a decent amount by cutting him this off-season I believe. 

21 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Btw what happened with Quentin Spain, he’s just all of a sudden not a starter after what he did last year and the new contract?

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't heard McDermott mention this. It's pretty odd that our offense is humming right now and the defense is struggling. Going into the season we were just hoping for offense to be middle of the pack and then we would be really scary. Now with how our offense is playing we just need our defense to be middle of the pack. I know it's early and he's been banged up, but Tremaine Edmunds has looked pretty bad. He has been a pretty poor tackler even before the injury. I am starting to think he might be best suited at OLB. If him and Milano get healthy and start playing better I think we can rebound.

Finally watched the second half.

Some of my notes:

- Taron Johnson got abused by Kupp.

- Thank god we only play Donald once every 4 years.

- Edmunds is definitely playing hurt but he struggled.

- Singletary needs to be the lead back and see closer to 75-80% of the snaps.

- The INT probably shouldn't have counted but it also never should have been thrown. That was hero ball Josh coming through.

- Bills need a 1T in the worst way. Bills should be calling Damon "Snacks" Harrison.

- For a guy who would hate being in Buffalo and is a cancer, Diggs looked thrilled for Kroft after that final TD.

- Allen is an absolute baller and so is Cole Beasley. What a signing that was.

- Brian Daboll will be on some short list for HC gigs. Joe Schoen as well for GM.