Week 3 GDT: Rams (2-0) @ Bills (2-0)

Trentwannabe

The one thing I do want to say about the INT - you guys won the game - but people in the media don't seem to realize that it would have been 1st and 30. Very likely that drive ends in a punt as our defense was heating up. I don't think it would have made much of a difference in the outcome. 

Would have been different if OPI wasn't the other outcome.

6 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Finally watched the second half.

Some of my notes:

- Taron Johnson got abused by Kupp.

- Thank god we only play Donald once every 4 years.

- Edmunds is definitely playing hurt but he struggled.

- Singletary needs to be the lead back and see closer to 75-80% of the snaps.

- The INT probably shouldn't have counted but it also never should have been thrown. That was hero ball Josh coming through.

- Bills need a 1T in the worst way. Bills should be calling Damon "Snacks" Harrison.

- For a guy who would hate being in Buffalo and is a cancer, Diggs looked thrilled for Kroft after that final TD.

- Allen is an absolute baller and so is Cole Beasley. What a signing that was.

- Brian Daboll will be on some short list for HC gigs. Joe Schoen as well for GM.

The run blocking by the Rams OL is legit. Our LBers struggled partly because they were often dealing with Rams OLmen in their face. When they were clean, Henderson finished his runs with force. Our LBers got knocked backwards multiple times. Before we look for another DT, I'd like to see our front 7 against another good running team before I ask for upgrades. I think the Rams OL are significantly better than the vast majority of the OL's we will face the rest of the year, so I think we will likely be fine.

Not that anyone said otherwise, but Kupp is a dominant WR and he definitely got the best of Taron. Frankly, he's good enough to do that to any of our DB's. The slot position is the hardest to play in a secondary because there is no boundary to assist. Putting Kupp inside really is smart gameplanning regardless of who they are playing. That said, Taron is a middle of the pack slot in this league when in coverage, but an excellent run defender. We take the good with the mediocre.

Bass has recovered from what was probably just 1st game jitters kicking on the national level. He has put together 2 really good games since week 1. He was the right guy to keep.

I remember when Daboll came aboard. I'm positive I groaned. Thought for sure we were getting another vanilla OC who was going to waste our quality D. Didn't pick up on it until yesterday, but during these 1st 3 games, I have been making multiple comments about how I love the aggressiveness of our offense. From Daboll! As in former Alabama OC Daboll! This is some mighty tasty crow I'm eating. LOL  He has been such a pleasant surprise.

Lastly, I just love simply watching our guys play. They are still having fun 3 years into the process. The camaraderie is evident and I think it loosens them up, yielding more success, and in turn yielding even more confidence. These guys aren't simply putting in their time in a losing effort to collect a paycheck, they are literally getting paid to have fun! It results in a truly contagious energy for teammates and fans. I haven't had this much fun watching our boys, since the `90's!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

The one thing I do want to say about the INT - you guys won the game - but people in the media don't seem to realize that it would have been 1st and 30. Very likely that drive ends in a punt as our defense was heating up. I don't think it would have made much of a difference in the outcome. 

We would have just thrown to Cole Beasley on 1st and 30 and gotten the first down ;)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

The run blocking by the Rams OL is legit. Our LBers struggled partly because they were often dealing with Rams OLmen in their face. When they were clean, Henderson finished his runs with force. Our LBers got knocked backwards multiple times. Before we look for another DT, I'd like to see our front 7 against another good running team before I ask for upgrades. I think the Rams OL are significantly better than the vast majority of the OL's we will face the rest of the year, so I think we will likely be fine.

Not that anyone said otherwise, but Kupp is a dominant WR and he definitely got the best of Taron. Frankly, he's good enough to do that to any of our DB's. The slot position is the hardest to play in a secondary because there is no boundary to assist. Putting Kupp inside really is smart gameplanning regardless of who they are playing. That said, Taron is a middle of the pack slot in this league when in coverage, but an excellent run defender. We take the good with the mediocre.

Bass has recovered from what was probably just 1st game jitters kicking on the national level. He has put together 2 really good games since week 1. He was the right guy to keep.

I remember when Daboll came aboard. I'm positive I groaned. Thought for sure we were getting another vanilla OC who was going to waste our quality D. Didn't pick up on it until yesterday, but during these 1st 3 games, I have been making multiple comments about how I love the aggressiveness of our offense. From Daboll! As in former Alabama OC Daboll! This is some mighty tasty crow I'm eating. LOL  He has been such a pleasant surprise.

Lastly, I just love simply watching our guys play. They are still having fun 3 years into the process. The camaraderie is evident and I think it loosens them up, yielding more success, and in turn yielding even more confidence. These guys aren't simply putting in their time in a losing effort to collect a paycheck, they are literally getting paid to have fun! It results in a truly contagious energy for teammates and fans. I haven't had this much fun watching our boys, since the `90's!

That was an issue last year. I remember the Philly game specifically their OL just destroyed our LB's 5-6 yards up field. I'm not sure our DL is built to take up double teams to allow the LB's to run free.

Yeah Johnson is certainly serviceable and he plays the run very well. But I fear teams will begin scheming to attack him after last week and week 1 where Crowder beat him often. Bass has certainly proved himself thus far and should be playing with a lot of confidence.  I said it multiple times last year but Daboll is a good OC. The execution was the problem. So far in 2020 the players are executing everything perfectly. Daboll's ability to scheme guys open in the redzone is amazing.

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

We would have just thrown to Cole Beasley on 1st and 30 and gotten the first down ;)

Haha yea I figured someone would say that.

I just wanted to point out that, the Rams were going to play better in the second half regardless. And if you assume that the first and 30 would have led to a punt, which, the 3rd and 22 conversion aside, it probably would have - the INT not being called actually could have favored the Rams in the long run. The Bills got the ball back down 4 with over 4 minutes to play - take away that INT, it wastes another two minutes before the Bills punt, and then we start with worse field position and use more time - we could have potentially scored the go ahead TD with a minute or so left in the game.

Obviously it's not that simple - other things in the game would have changed - it's just weird to me that people focused on that INT call when it would have been first and 30, not a completion and first and 10 for the Bills.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Yes it would have made a huge difference maybe or maybe not they would have made the 1st down at 1st and 30 but would have multiple chances to try. Not to mention punting the ball putting it further down the field. Also your talking about a huge factor in which makes a huge difference is the Rams just went down and scored and then the INT happened the momentum was going in the Rams favor at that point as they scored back to back touchdowns in only a few minutes of clock time. That INT impacted the game completely and whether or not it would have had to come down to the bills driving the field to win it we do not know but a bad call like that put the defense back on the field who was already just on there during a 75 yard drive and only getting a minute to rest while the Rams team is now fired up because they had the INT and shorter field position. 

Just like Daryl Williams costly false start led to a 3 and 14 out of fg range to a strip sack from donald which put the rams in another position of short field position and led to a touch down. Each action whether it is a small penalty or bad call like the INT has a huge impact on the game and possible change of outcome at the end. Just look at the Falcons as it did not go in their favor in back to back weeks.

5 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I just wanted to point out that, the Rams were going to play better in the second half regardless. And if you assume that the first and 30 would have led to a punt, which, the 3rd and 22 conversion aside, it probably would have - the INT not being called actually could have favored the Rams in the long run. The Bills got the ball back down 4 with over 4 minutes to play - take away that INT, it wastes another two minutes before the Bills punt, and then we start with worse field position and use more time - we could have potentially scored the go ahead TD with a minute or so left in the game.

Obviously it's not that simple - other things in the game would have changed - it's just weird to me that people focused on that INT call when it would have been first and 30, not a completion and first and 10 for the Bills.

I'll also say that the Int was karma in a way. Troy Hill would have picked it off if Kroft hadn't shoved him. 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

I think most people who didn't see the game did not realize Kroft was called for OPI. You're absolutely right, the Bills in all likelihood would have punted but there was so much game played in between the INT and the DPI at the end that it's all just conjecture now. 

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'll also say that the Int was karma in a way. Troy Hill would have picked it off if Kroft hadn't shoved him. 😉

Kroft wouldn't have had to push off if it wasn't for the Rams covering him so well 😄

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Well thats just smart team football. You take the penalty over a PI. And to be honest guys like Julio Jones push way more than what Kroft did.

6 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Well thats just smart team football. You take the penalty over a PI. And to be honest guys like Julio Jones push way more than what Kroft did.

Smart or not, the play resulted in an INT, as it should have. As I said, that's karma. Regardless, I'm not a Saints fan, so I'm not about to cry foul over the PI call. I thought it was a bad call, but we've benefited from it in the reverse.

• Like 3

On 9/29/2020 at 11:19 AM, FrantikRam said:

You also have to take in to consideration the momentum that is given on a turnover in short field compared to a punt on a long field, to many IFs involved to say whether or not the score would have happened right away. All in all it was a good game and no matter what, it shouldn't impact either team when it comes to the playoffs as I see both making it. Niners with injuries and some questionable playing on seattle d I think Rams will end up competing for the division if not they will land 1 of the 3 Wild card spots. As much as I dislike Ramsey because of his comments and how he handle things with his previous organization I do overall like the Rams, nothing but good things for that team. Goff seems to have bounced back from his previous year, love Kupp and Woods both deserved those contracts and donald is just a man among boys. Would have like to watch Akers but Henderson seems like an underrated beast for your guys. Heck lets hope we see each other in the Superbowl, as it was an exciting game to watch as both sides had ups and downs.

• Like 1