Week 3: WFT (1-1) @ Cleveland Browns (1-1) - 9/27 FOX 1 pm kickoff

MikeT14

The strengths of our team:

Interior o-line (Wills and Conklin have done well too).

Run game. Kareem and Nick are as good as advertised.

Play action to OBJ. You guys know about OBJ.

Jarvis Landry being consistent. He’s always been Bakers get out of jail free card.

The weaknesses of our team:

Secondary has been badly banged up, but Denzel Ward is a stud playing at an elite level. I’d target anyone except him.

Baker has been inconsistent. He looked awful vs Baltimore and fantastic vs Cincinnati. He turns it over, but will get hot streaks.

Our linebackers straight suck. They help with the run, but that’s it.

Our defensive line has been inconsistent. Our most consistent DL has been Larry Ogunjobi, but Myles does make game changing plays.

On 9/23/2020 at 8:45 PM, candyman93 said:

I think I like your guys fanbase the most on this site or at least tied with Buffalo fans.

Do you guys feel this is accurate? I think it’s spot on for Cleveland.

Not as much, no.

• Yes, Washington gave up 160 yards on 32 carries and 2 TDs against Arizona. HOWEVER, they gave up 93 yards on 24 carries (3.9 YPC) and 0 TDs to rushing players not named Kyler Murray. For just RBs, it was 90 yards on 23 carries. They also allowed only 57 yards on 17 carries to Philadelphia (3.4 YPC; 55 yards on 16 carries to non-QBs). So, yes, the Browns have what look to be a very strong 1-2 punch at RB, Washington's rush deficiency is a bit misleading.
  • In our breakdown of the Arizona loss, we were talking about Washington's secondary. Jimmy Moreland was targeted 13 times, allow 11 completions. While that looks bad, it was only for 61 yards. Our supposition is that they were worried that Moreland (generously listed as 5'11", 182 on Washington's roster page) was going to be beaten badly over the top by Larry Fitzgerald and DeAndre Hopkins so they played him off the ball. Arizona took advantage of that. We'll see if they do the same thing with OBJ. I don't think they'll be as concerned with Moreland versus Landry.
  • The big risk for Washington is going to be Ronald Darby, who has consistently been targeted (and beaten) deep. That and our safeties are trash. So, Washington can get gouged with the deep ball if they aren't careful. At the same time, if your line doesn't hold up, our front will pin its ears back and hunt down the QB. This will be the matchup to watch in my opinion.
  • If Garrett lines up on the right side of the Browns' line and has to go up against Geron Christian/Wes Martin, he will feast on Haskins. If they have him coming off the left side of the line, he can still do decently against Morgan Moses and likely Wes Schweitzer, but not as much as he would.
  • The stats for Haskins are somewhat misleading against Arizona as most of his yards and the TD came when the game was somewhat out of hand.
  • Terry McClaurin will give whomever you put on him fits. The rest of the receiving corps ... not so much.
  • If Antonio Gibson gets to the second level, look out. The kid has afterburners. That said, given that Washington has spotted their opponents 17 and 20 points before scoring their first points, it makes it hard for him get lots of carries. While they talk about the good job the Browns did against Mixon, Gibson can be a major threat out of the backfield as a pass catcher.

I still think the Browns should be favored, but I'm not sure they're as much a slam dunk as the scores at the end seem to think they are. I want to see what Washington can do if they don't bury themselves in a massive hole early. Right now, no one knows.

Let's be honest here too about the running game, Miles Sanders was out for the Eagles.  Kenyan Drake rushed 20 times for 83 yards against us.  It's too early to say the run deficiency is misleading.  Going up against Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt is a huge test, and I think they do at least as well as Drake did against us on the ground.  Where they are going to do their most damage is in the passing game, where we are terrible at covering running backs, both out of the backfield and when they line up at WR.  

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Let's be honest here too about the running game, Miles Sanders was out for the Eagles.  Kenyan Drake rushed 20 times for 83 yards against us.  It's too early to say the run deficiency is misleading.  Going up against Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt is a huge test, and I think they do at least as well as Drake did against us on the ground.  Where they are going to do their most damage is in the passing game, where we are terrible at covering running backs, both out of the backfield and when they line up at WR.  

This is fair, but I figured the 32 carries, 160 yards, 2 TD stat line should be put in context.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

This is fair, but I figured the 32 carries, 160 yards, 2 TD stat line should be put in context.

Right, it's not as bad as it looks, but it's still not something to tout.  If Chubb and Hunt average around what Drake did, we can start calling it a good run defense because guys like that always get theirs.  If they go over 5 YPC and reel off some highlight runs, it's as bad as the numbers say.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

Not as much, no.

• Yes, Washington gave up 160 yards on 32 carries and 2 TDs against Arizona. HOWEVER, they gave up 93 yards on 24 carries (3.9 YPC) and 0 TDs to rushing players not named Kyler Murray. For just RBs, it was 90 yards on 23 carries. They also allowed only 57 yards on 17 carries to Philadelphia (3.4 YPC; 55 yards on 16 carries to non-QBs). So, yes, the Browns have what look to be a very strong 1-2 punch at RB, Washington's rush deficiency is a bit misleading.
  • In our breakdown of the Arizona loss, we were talking about Washington's secondary. Jimmy Moreland was targeted 13 times, allow 11 completions. While that looks bad, it was only for 61 yards. Our supposition is that they were worried that Moreland (generously listed as 5'11", 182 on Washington's roster page) was going to be beaten badly over the top by Larry Fitzgerald and DeAndre Hopkins so they played him off the ball. Arizona took advantage of that. We'll see if they do the same thing with OBJ. I don't think they'll be as concerned with Moreland versus Landry.
  • The big risk for Washington is going to be Ronald Darby, who has consistently been targeted (and beaten) deep. That and our safeties are trash. So, Washington can get gouged with the deep ball if they aren't careful. At the same time, if your line doesn't hold up, our front will pin its ears back and hunt down the QB. This will be the matchup to watch in my opinion.
  • If Garrett lines up on the right side of the Browns' line and has to go up against Geron Christian/Wes Martin, he will feast on Haskins. If they have him coming off the left side of the line, he can still do decently against Morgan Moses and likely Wes Schweitzer, but not as much as he would.
  • The stats for Haskins are somewhat misleading against Arizona as most of his yards and the TD came when the game was somewhat out of hand.
  • Terry McClaurin will give whomever you put on him fits. The rest of the receiving corps ... not so much.
  • If Antonio Gibson gets to the second level, look out. The kid has afterburners. That said, given that Washington has spotted their opponents 17 and 20 points before scoring their first points, it makes it hard for him get lots of carries. While they talk about the good job the Browns did against Mixon, Gibson can be a major threat out of the backfield as a pass catcher.

I still think the Browns should be favored, but I'm not sure they're as much a slam dunk as the scores at the end seem to think they are. I want to see what Washington can do if they don't bury themselves in a massive hole early. Right now, no one knows.

Dang Woz you doin that work on that cardinals breakdown!!!! Completely agree with the post so that’s where I’m at with us lol

The only “positive” of Cleveland’s defense is Denzel Ward and the front 4. Sheldon was great against Cincinnati. Larry and Myles have been pro bowl caliber. They’ve been stout against the run.

However, we can’t defend the pass at all. It will be awful if Denzel doesn’t play.