Week 3: WFT (1-1) @ Cleveland Browns (1-1) - 9/27 FOX 1 pm kickoff

MikeT14

The Coach is back tracking big time . Said he'd stick with Haskins . Now tells J P Finley- yes, there is a cutoff, a lot of players are playing well enough to win and deserve to win - so yes-- He'll have to make the call at some point if Haskins doesn't get his ship together .

Haskins looked so much better under O'Connell last year - I'm thinking it's mostly his adjustment period to the new system etc ,,but damn I'm feed up with losing, losing, losing and hearing one excuse after the other . It's not fun any more -- for me anyway . 

My wife tells me I'm a terrible pessimist but I'm almost always positive on the WFT. I do think , this year , there will be a game against a good team when it all comes together and we look unbeatable. It will be a joyous occasion for us suffering fans .. If it happens . 

Edited by RSkinGM
  • Like 1

Well, I’m officially unimpressed with Rivera at this point. 

Yesterday, after the game, he said all the right things that you’d expect out of a strong-minded, level-headed, even-keeled leader of men. He supported Haskins, made clear it’s about everyone playing better, and expressed his belief (via comparison to a league MVP) that Haskins can grow through the bad games and break through to a higher level. 

...and then this morning, he comes out and absolutely buries him in the press. 

Unimpressed. Here’s a secret, Ron: as bad as Haskins has been in his first 3 games, you’ve been even worse in your first season in charge of personnel. You think guys like Payne and Allen and Sweat deserved better? Me too. I think they deserved better than a coach/GM who punted on nearly every single opportunity to improve the team around them. And, incidentally, they deserved better than their coach quitting on them in back to back weeks. Haskins threw a couple TDs yesterday, but the only thing you seem to have done right all offseason was drafting Chase Young, which anyone with a pulse could have done. You came into a situation with glaring issues at OT, OG, WR, TE, MLB, OLB, CB, and S — and at the moment it seems like you might have successfully handled one of them (CB)? That’s a far worse success rate than Haskins put up yesterday. Let’s also add in OC there, where your decision to send Haskins back to square one by replacing O’Connell with Norv Turner’s kid is looking like solid gold so far too.

And yet, despite how bad he’s been, I sincerely doubt Rivera’s boss is going to come out and publicly discuss his “cutoff point” for removing him from his role this early on. Remarkable that Dan Snyder is somehow a better boss than Ron Rivera...only the WFT could accomplish this.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Well, I’m officially unimpressed with Rivera at this point. 

Yesterday, after the game, he said all the right things that you’d expect out of a strong-minded, level-headed, even-keeled leader of men. He supported Haskins, made clear it’s about everyone playing better, and expressed his belief (via comparison to a league MVP) that Haskins can grow through the bad games and break through to a higher level. 

...and then this morning, he comes out and absolutely buries him in the press. 

Unimpressed. Here’s a secret, Ron: as bad as Haskins has been in his first 3 games, you’ve been even worse in your first season in charge of personnel. You think guys like Payne and Allen and Sweat deserved better? Me too. I think they deserved better than a coach/GM who punted on nearly every single opportunity to improve the team around them. And, incidentally, they deserved better than their coach quitting on them in back to back weeks. Haskins threw a couple TDs yesterday, but the only thing you seem to have done right all offseason was drafting Chase Young, which anyone with a pulse could have done. You came into a situation with glaring issues at OT, OG, WR, TE, MLB, OLB, CB, and S — and at the moment it seems like you might have successfully handled one of them (CB)? That’s a far worse success rate than Haskins put up yesterday. Let’s also add in OC there, where your decision to send Haskins back to square one by replacing O’Connell with Norv Turner’s kid is looking like solid gold so far too.

And yet, despite how bad he’s been, I sincerely doubt Rivera’s boss is going to come out and publicly discuss his “cutoff point” for removing him from his role this early on. Remarkable that Dan Snyder is somehow a better boss than Ron Rivera...only the WFT could accomplish this.

I am not sure that Ron "buries" Dwayne in his presser today. He responded to the reporter's question... and honestly, in a manner that we all knew to be the case anyway. I really enjoyed watching the breakdown that @Legend_Kenny4ever posted - and somehow feel relieved that Ron didn't pull Dwayne (despite my comments suggesting he should do so during the game). I think Ron's actions speak louder than his words here - and that is something Dwayne should acknowledge. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Troublez said:

I am not sure that Ron "buries" Dwayne in his presser today. He responded to the reporter's question... and honestly, in a manner that we all knew to be the case anyway. I really enjoyed watching the breakdown that @Legend_Kenny4ever posted - and somehow feel relieved that Ron didn't pull Dwayne (despite my comments suggesting he should do so during the game). I think Ron's actions speak louder than his words here - and that is something Dwayne should acknowledge. 

Perhaps I read too much into it. 

To me, when you start naming individual players and pointing out how hard they played, and then pivot to the offense and start pointing to every single position group but QB, and then make the statement that these guys deserve better — that’s about as close as a pro football coach comes to just outright slamming his QB. Particularly when the “these guys deserve better” comment comes as a means of walking back (or at least softening) your prior claim that your intention is to stick with said QB and “take your lumps” with him. 

Part of my objection to his comments probably stems from the fact that I don’t value honesty in football coaches — I value strategy. He’s not a politician, he owes nothing to the public. I want every public statement he makes to be calculated to benefit the team as much as possible, and I don’t care about Ron Rivera’s personal integrity at all. Of course we all know that if Haskins has several more games like that, eventually we’ll have to pull the plug. But how does stating that publicly, in a manner that rather bluntly blamed Haskins for letting down his teammates, help the young QB bounce back from a bad game(s) and move forward? It seems pretty counter-productive to me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

Perhaps I read too much into it. 

To me, when you start naming individual players and pointing out how hard they played, and then pivot to the offense and start pointing to every single position group but QB, and then make the statement that these guys deserve better — that’s about as close as a pro football coach comes to just outright slamming his QB. Particularly when the “these guys deserve better” comment comes as a means of walking back (or at least softening) your prior claim that your intention is to stick with said QB and “take your lumps” with him. 

Part of my objection to his comments probably stems from the fact that I don’t value honesty in football coaches — I value strategy. He’s not a politician, he owes nothing to the public. I want every public statement he makes to be calculated to benefit the team as much as possible, and I don’t care about Ron Rivera’s personal integrity at all. Of course we all know that if Haskins has several more games like that, eventually we’ll have to pull the plug. But how does stating that publicly, in a manner that rather bluntly blamed Haskins for letting down his teammates, help the young QB bounce back from a bad game(s) and move forward? It seems pretty counter-productive to me.

THIS ^^^^ !!!!

Coaches need to remember that they need to praise in public and discipline in private. 

• Like 1

So watching the Raven vs KC game and I see 2 different qb's you see Mahomes who is pinpoint accurate and I see the MVP from 2019 who is over throwing people and throwing behind people.  Mind you he had his up's and downs but they changed there offense to fit him.  So in short either you fit what your qb can do or try to fit a square peg into your system.  That's one of the reasons I like the Raven's coaching staff.  I wish we could have kept the other coordinator from last season because it looked like Haskins was getting it.  We will see of course, we are only in the beginning of the season folks let's see how he does and take it from there remember Peyton Manning was putrid in his rookie season.  Then again you had time back then to learn instead of trying to win as soon as you got put in to be the starter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Legend_Kenny4ever said:

So watching the Raven vs KC game and I see 2 different qb's you see Mahomes who is pinpoint accurate and I see the MVP from 2019 who is over throwing people and throwing behind people.  Mind you he had his up's and downs but they changed there offense to fit him.  So in short either you fit what your qb can do or try to fit a square peg into your system.  That's one of the reasons I like the Raven's coaching staff.  I wish we could have kept the other coordinator from last season because it looked like Haskins was getting it.  We will see of course, we are only in the beginning of the season folks let's see how he does and take it from there remember Peyton Manning was putrid in his rookie season.  Then again you had time back then to learn instead of trying to win as soon as you got put in to be the starter.

Curious what you would change about the offense to suit Haskins more?  

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Dan went the "safe" route after being beat up for 20 years . He should have hire O'Connell as head coach .

I... don't know about that. I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in that. I don't understand what he proved to get that opportunity, unless you wanted someone to come in and suck with a sucky team for 2 years that you could fire and really start over with the building blocks of a team. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 10:08 AM, RSkinGM said:

Can we PLEASE try someone else to return kicks ? PLEASE . Wright or Gibson .. or ??

I thought Wright was doing kick off returns on Sunday. I don’t think Gibson - our starting RB - should be doing returns. S. Sims is overthinking this out there instead of just getting the ball and running upfield right away, it’s driving me nuts, but at the same time he does have the ability to do it. I hope he’s seeing on tape or the coaches are showing him that he’s overthinking on punt returns.

• Like 1