Jump to content

Week 3: WFT (1-1) @ Cleveland Browns (1-1) - 9/27 FOX 1 pm kickoff


Recommended Posts

On 9/28/2020 at 2:13 PM, e16bball said:

Perhaps I read too much into it. 

To me, when you start naming individual players and pointing out how hard they played, and then pivot to the offense and start pointing to every single position group but QB, and then make the statement that these guys deserve better — that’s about as close as a pro football coach comes to just outright slamming his QB. Particularly when the “these guys deserve better” comment comes as a means of walking back (or at least softening) your prior claim that your intention is to stick with said QB and “take your lumps” with him. 

Part of my objection to his comments probably stems from the fact that I don’t value honesty in football coaches — I value strategy. He’s not a politician, he owes nothing to the public. I want every public statement he makes to be calculated to benefit the team as much as possible, and I don’t care about Ron Rivera’s personal integrity at all. Of course we all know that if Haskins has several more games like that, eventually we’ll have to pull the plug. But how does stating that publicly, in a manner that rather bluntly blamed Haskins for letting down his teammates, help the young QB bounce back from a bad game(s) and move forward? It seems pretty counter-productive to me.

The Office Thank You GIF
 

What sucks for me is that the plays were there to be made for Haskins and if Haskins doesn’t throw two relatively easy interceptions across the middle we probably win the game. If he just takes what’s there instead of throwing those picks across the middle, we probably win. 
 

Haskins adapted last year and fixed his issues like this, I hope he does the same this year once he reviews the tape. He had other open WRs on those plays, he missed things on other plays that could’ve been huge plays or even TDs. He just is overthinking right now in a new offense and not seeing the whole field. I think/hope the offense gets more in chemistry and more in sync over the rest of the season and he plays better. I expect him to. He can’t stare down WRs, apparently he was doing that in training camp too and Thomas Davis told him that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think Haskins will be the guy, just my personal opinion. Nothing wrong with him, but he was a project coming out who needed to be coached and put in the right situation and nothing about this team screams “right situation”. No one should be advocating anything but starting him and hoping for improvement the rest of this season. Offseason depending on where we are I could see re-evaluating but only if we’re in position for some stud like Trevor Lawrence or D’Eriq King ( ;) ) which I doubt we will be when you see how bad a few other teams are. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I don’t think Haskins will be the guy, just my personal opinion. Nothing wrong with him, but he was a project coming out who needed to be coached and put in the right situation and nothing about this team screams “right situation”. No one should be advocating anything but starting him and hoping for improvement the rest of this season. Offseason depending on where we are I could see re-evaluating but only if we’re in position for some stud like Trevor Lawrence or D’Eriq King ( ;) ) which I doubt we will be when you see how bad a few other teams are. 

Well, we’ll have 7 rounds to pick so we should be able to take King in the 7th round. 😂 Jk 

Definitely not sold on Haskins - I don’t know how anyone can be at this point - but I think he and the offense will improve as the season goes on. As you said, I think it’s unlikely we’ll be picking #1 overall given how bad some other teams are. 
 

It just depends on how much Haskins improves and what our decision will be in the draft. Haskins is definitely enticing bc he definitely has the arm talent to be good to great, he just needs to develop but we need to see that development over this season and less of those rookie mistakes like staring down WRs and throwing awful ints over the middle on your half of the field like he did last Sunday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Finally they allow Sweat to play with his hand in the dirt and see what happens. He was lost standing up playing in the 3-4 like I said when we drafted him

I think him getting stronger has helped too. That 15 pounds he added can be seen  as he’s overpowering OTs, his technique has also improved which points to good coaching all the way around.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Legend_Kenny4ever said:

I would look at films of his OH state games just to see exactly what his strong points are

 

He does a lot better in quick game, they get bogged down when they have slower developing plays and either our protection breaks down on those plays or Haskins doesn’t trust his protection to hold up on those plays so he rushes things and that’s why he threw his ints. He didn’t go through his progressions last week on several plays.

Edited by turtle28
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He does a lot better in quick game, they get bogged down when they have slower developing plays and either our protection breaks down on those plays or Haskins doesn’t trust his protection to hold up on those plays so he rushes things and that’s why he threw his ints. He didn’t go through his progressions last week on several plays.

Yeah, but two of his INTs were on relatively quick throws. So that doesn't compute for me in this game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah, but two of his INTs were on relatively quick throws. So that doesn't compute for me in this game.

True, I think on those plays he predetermined where he was going pre-snap. Cousins used to do that a lot too when he was a young QB, he would figure out where he should go pre snap and when the D changed its look post-snap, he wouldn’t adjust and come off of his first read. I think that’s the mistake Haskins is making right now, but I expect him to correct it and develop. It’s a next step in his progression he needs to make.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got no faith in this team at this point. Sad to say as its early and I hope I'm wrong, but Ron Rivera's actions speaks volumes about what he thinks of his team.

The hope is that the defense bends, but doesn't break and hopefully forces a couple turnovers. Dwayne Haskins must stand tall and play smarter.

The thing i'm looking most forward to this week?James Smith-Williams, who a lot of people have raved about his physical tools and versatility. Sounds like he will be rotating on the inside and the outside with so many injuries along the line.

Reality? Another subpar performance coupled with Ravens coming off a bad loss.

35-13 Ravens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

I've got no faith in this team at this point. Sad to say as its early and I hope I'm wrong, but Ron Rivera's actions speaks volumes about what he thinks of his team.

The hope is that the defense bends, but doesn't break and hopefully forces a couple turnovers. Dwayne Haskins must stand tall and play smarter.

The thing i'm looking most forward to this week?James Smith-Williams, who a lot of people have raved about his physical tools and versatility. Sounds like he will be rotating on the inside and the outside with so many injuries along the line.

Reality? Another subpar performance coupled with Ravens coming off a bad loss.

35-13 Ravens.

For sure at this point. My hope is they play better the second half of the year but I don’t except them to beat the Ravens. Not having Chase & Ioannidis hurt the DL depth a lot too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...