Week 3: WFT (1-1) @ Cleveland Browns (1-1) - 9/27 FOX 1 pm kickoff

MikeT14

23 hours ago, taylor made said:

Finally they allow Sweat to play with his hand in the dirt and see what happens. He was lost standing up playing in the 3-4 like I said when we drafted him

Well when we drafted him we didn’t have the personnel for a 3-4 and a better staff would have moved us back. And I wouldn’t say he was lost standing up but yes he never should have been in coverage. But the guy was doing as well as expected rushing last year because he wasn’t using his length as this guy pointed out. But finding 3-4 outside backers that played there in college is rare there’s only a few programs that even run there. But it was nice to see him progress and hopefully he keeps adding moves to keep improving.

43 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Well when we drafted him we didn’t have the personnel for a 3-4 and a better staff would have moved us back. And I wouldn’t say he was lost standing up but yes he never should have been in coverage. But the guy was doing as well as expected rushing last year because he wasn’t using his length as this guy pointed out. But finding 3-4 outside backers that played there in college is rare there’s only a few programs that even run there. But it was nice to see him progress and hopefully he keeps adding moves to keep improving.

What personnel were we missing for a 3-4 last year?

IMO ever since we drafted DaRon Payne & Settle, we’ve had the correct personnel for the 3-4. Now, a big problem we had was the play of our ILBs in the 3-4 since Fletcher retired. I’ll agree we haven’t had the best talent in some positions but we have had a NT since 2018 when we drafted Payne and when we drafted Settle. We had Ioannidis & Allen at DE. We had the personnel, our coaching wasn’t good enough and in some spots our talent was deficient like ILB & FS.

Sweat was only in coverage 15-20% of the time as a rookie. It wasn’t as much as people think. Most of the time our D was in a 4 man DL since 2010 when we made the switch to the 3-4, most of the time we were in a 4-2-5.

Edited by turtle28

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What personnel were we missing for a 3-4 last year?

IMO ever since we drafted DaRon Payne & Settle, we’ve had the correct personnel for the 3-4. Now, a big problem we had was the play of our ILBs in the 3-4 since Fletcher retired. I’ll agree we haven’t had the best talent in some positions but we have had a NT since 2018 when we drafted Payne and when we drafted Settle. We had Ioannidis & Allen at DE. We had the personnel, our coaching wasn’t good enough and in some spots our talent was deficient like ILB & FS.

Sweat was only in coverage 15-20% of the time as a rookie. It wasn’t as much as people think. Most of the time our D was in a 4 man DL since 2010 when we made the switch to the 3-4, most of the time we were in a 4-2-5.

I love Payne and settle but as you said we lined up in 4 man sets and we just looked better. Then with Chase I mean it just made total sense I mean Ryan played a 4 man front in college as do most guys. But the idea of Payne Allen and Matt and settle rotating but still playing beside each other with our combo of edges I just think this is a better fit. Plus I still don’t think we’re set at LB. a truely gifted MLB would take us to the next level

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

I love Payne and settle but as you said we lined up in 4 man sets and we just looked better. Then with Chase I mean it just made total sense I mean Ryan played a 4 man front in college as do most guys. But the idea of Payne Allen and Matt and settle rotating but still playing beside each other with our combo of edges I just think this is a better fit. Plus I still don’t think we’re set at LB. a truely gifted MLB would take us to the next level

Again, we played in a 4 man front 70-80% of the game last year and all decade.

I think the issue was more coaching and we had issues at ILB & FS for most of the decade that kept our D from being anywhere near top 10 except in 2011 when the free agents we added along the DL & at DB were more healthy and we had drafted Kerrigan. Of course once Atogwe, Bowen & Landry got hurt that year our D got worse the second half of 2011.

I definitely agree we need an upgrade at MLB but, I will say that Bostic has played really well this year. He’s been better than last year and even last year he was still average to slightly above but I definitely think we need a stud MLB, it would be huge for our D if we can draft that.

Edited by turtle28