Tyrod Taylor’s lung was punctured by team doctor

pwny

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

good point, thx.

Since the puncture is such a rare occurrence, what would an independent MD have suggested to Tyrod ?
" Tyrod - There's a 2 % chance of complications, so no go on the pre-game injection "

Lots of players get pre-game injections (without getting punctured) , up to a dozen each week per the reports I've seen

There's definitely more to it than just the puncture risk to consider here, right? I wonder how many guys are playing with cracked ribs (or how severe Tyrod's specific injury is) on a given week. Or, maybe more generally, how many guys are playing with injuries that are questionably stable or not stable and putting themselves at risk.

5 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I do the procedure. It’s called a intercostal nerve block. You get within a centimeter of the lung plural. Pneumothorax is a known risk of the procedure. It’s not the outcome you want but it’s a risk that any decent physician will get a patient consent. Now whether physicians should be giving players nerve blocks immediately before games to allow them to play through rib fractures is a different topic entirely. 

just to give a common example. Giving the flu shot incorrectly is as easy as injecting it a centimeter too low on the shoulder and you could hit the bursa sac which would cause bursitis and could limit the motion in your shoulder for life. 

55 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I do the procedure. It’s called a intercostal nerve block. You get within a centimeter of the lung plural. Pneumothorax is a known risk of the procedure. It’s not the outcome you want but it’s a risk that any decent physician will get a patient consent. Now whether physicians should be giving players nerve blocks immediately before games to allow them to play through rib fractures is a different topic entirely. 

hqdefault.jpg

I usually go for the spare rib first:

ShamelessGlumHermitcrab-size_restricted.

• Like 1

You guys, mistakes happen. I feel for the doctor. Imagine spending a decade in school and more learning only to get nationally **** on for making one mistake

Anyway, this is a bad situation for the Chargers as they have unnecessary noise around this, but Herbert looked better anyway so good for the offense

• Like 2

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

So the Chargers thought Tyrod with cracked ribs was a better option than starting Herbert?

And yeah, that doctor is fired.

I feel like it should be Anthony Lynn’s last year. Not going for it on 4th and 1 in OT, throwing the rookie under the bus.

probably won’t Though because Herbert looks good