Tyrod Taylor’s lung was punctured by team doctor

pwny

14 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

good point, thx.

Since the puncture is such a rare occurrence, what would an independent MD have suggested to Tyrod ?
" Tyrod - There's a 2 % chance of complications, so no go on the pre-game injection "

Lots of players get pre-game injections (without getting punctured) , up to a dozen each week per the reports I've seen

I imagine an Independent doctor would Say no contact sports until the cracked rib healed itself. Regardless I don’t blame the Doctor in the slightest. Mistakes happen. I blame a culture that feels it’s ok to inject a player minutes before game time so they can withstand more punishment on a body that obviously is not up to the task. 

I really feel the NFL needs to step in here and live up to its player safety is paramount and at least slap a fine on the Chargers organization for this. Send out a league wide memo stating that using painkillers in place of a PED is the same as using PED. 

Chargers offense looked better with Herbert so they will be just as (non) competitive as before. In his first game Herbert threw for more yards then Tyrod ever has. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Leoric said:

Send out a league wide memo stating that using painkillers in place of a PED is the same as using PED. 

All 32 teams would have their injury list grow by about 20-30 players now listed as questionable. Toridol might as well be the official substance of the NFL, every single team uses it liberally to get guys going on any given Sunday. It's not sound medical advice, but these teams aren't trying heal anyone - they're sole purpose is to get everyone available for Sunday for 21 weeks. So, they'll do whatever to get a guy going.

Every single team does this - every single week. It's getting publicity right now because one guy got injured from it.

EDIT: here's some good reading on it:

https://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/3/12310124/comfortably-numb-the-nfl-fell-in-love-with-a-painkiller-it-barely-knew

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

All 32 teams would have their injury list grow by about 20-30 players now listed as questionable. Toridol might as well be the official substance of the NFL, every single team uses it liberally to get guys going on any given Sunday. It's not sound medical advice, but these teams aren't trying heal anyone - they're sole purpose is to get everyone available for Sunday for 21 weeks. So, they'll do whatever to get a guy going.

Every single team does this - every single week. It's getting publicity right now because one guy got injured from it.

https://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/3/12310124/comfortably-numb-the-nfl-fell-in-love-with-a-painkiller-it-barely-knew

Saying half the league is too injured on a week to week basis to really play doesn't seem like a great argument for keeping the status quo. 

Obviously I'm not saying only guys who are 100% should play, but if we're going with 20-30 players who are playing through enough of an injury they need toridol, how many of them are trying to play through something that could very reasonably become a much more serious injury? In the next CBA negotiations, I think it would do both sides well to agree how to handle some of these types of situations to take the game-time decision out of the players hands. Not for all of them, but for those 5 or so guys of the 30. The NFLPA should be all for it given player safety, and the NFL would be smart to adopt this too even if only for the optics.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

In the next CBA negotiations, I think it would do both sides well to agree how to handle some of these types of situations to take the game-time decision out of the players hands. Not for all of them, but for those 5 or so guys of the 30. The NFLPA should be all for it given player safety, and the NFL would be smart to adopt this too even if only for the optics.

I would agree with this - I'd even take it s step further and find a way to build in a "sabbatical" of sorts for players. I don't know how that would be administered or managed, but let guys get extensive time away from football, just to get their bodies in order. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I would agree with this - I'd even take it s step further and find a way to build in a "sabbatical" of sorts for players. I don't know how that would be administered or managed, but let guys get extensive time away from football, just to get their bodies in order. 

Even a rule as simple as "no contact during the bye week" would help if you had 2 of them. Actually give the players' bodies a chance to catch up.

Of course, that might just result in coaches/players running themselves ragged in the weight room, but there's always going to be people who try to cheat the system like that. We had the same thing happen when guys started trying to fail the baseline concussion tests when they were installed, but eventually that goes away as the culture changes.

• Like 1

Hopefully the doctor is suspended for deflating lungs.

This is not a laughing matter, of course. Mistakes happen though. Sounds harsh to say, but it's good to see Herbert starting. He looked electric! The opposite of TT.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Leoric said:

I imagine an Independent doctor would Say no contact sports until the cracked rib healed itself. Regardless I don’t blame the Doctor in the slightest. Mistakes happen. I blame a culture that feels it’s ok to inject a player minutes before game time so they can withstand more punishment on a body that obviously is not up to the task. 

I really feel the NFL needs to step in here and live up to its player safety is paramount and at least slap a fine on the Chargers organization for this. Send out a league wide memo stating that using painkillers in place of a PED is the same as using PED. 

Chargers offense looked better with Herbert so they will be just as (non) competitive as before. In his first game Herbert threw for more yards then Tyrod ever has. 

This seems extremely naive.

When I was a teenager working a part-time retail job I had a persistent back problem - I would regularly take painkillers to allow myself to go to work. I did this because I'd rather be productive than sit around doing nothing, and I needed the money. Was I aware it was probably not for the best, long term? Of course. But I would not have wanted, and would not have expected, my employer to get in trouble for allowing an adult to make an informed decision. 

Football players are grown men, who are more-than-fairly compensated for the risks they take. I don't think anyone would argue that the extra rewards more than off-set the risk, and I think almost everyone on this forum would more than happily swap places with even the lowest paid football player. "Player safety" can only go so far when you have a game built around paying the strongest and fastest men in the world to hit each other for an hour.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 4:55 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

LOL OMFG

This is such a Browns thing to not happen to them

To my mind, the most Cleveland Browns thing to ever not happen to the Cleveland Brown's was when then-Jaguars punter Chris Hanson badly injured his leg and missed teh rest of the season while chopping wood in the team locker room. 

He came back and had three years with the Patriots, so I don't feel bad in saying fifteen years later, that is still possibly the funniest sports injury I have ever heard of. 

On 9/24/2020 at 3:27 AM, ET80 said:

FWIW, AJ Hawk on the Pat McAfee show said the Packers don't use Toradol, or didn't when he was in GB.

8 hours ago, Billy86 said:

To my mind, the most Cleveland Browns thing to ever not happen to the Cleveland Brown's was when then-Jaguars punter Chris Hanson badly injured his leg and missed teh rest of the season while chopping wood in the team locker room. 

He came back and had three years with the Patriots, so I don't feel bad in saying fifteen years later, that is still possibly the funniest sports injury I have ever heard of. 

Was he telling players to have a seat over there?

On 9/24/2020 at 4:27 AM, ET80 said:

FWIW, I’m not sure players are opposed to this practice 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...