Think-Piece: This is Joe Douglas' Plan

Bianconero

This is just a think-piece: I believe that this is Joe Douglas' plan

Let's review the insanity that is the current state of this franchise. This franchise employs the worst Head Coach in the NFL. Every week, through every channel of media, the New York Jets are laughed at, ridiculed for their incompetence, and made a mockery of. They have a "franchise quarterback" who will be viewed as a reclamation project by his next team. The ex-best player and former face of this team, and soon face of the NFL as a whole (on defense), did things to distance himself from this organization that we had not previously seen in the NFL. This toxicity and overall embarrassment has even begun to leak from within: current players, including Bradley McDougald (someone who has been in this organization for 2 months) are beginning to comment on the lack of preparation that goes into the "product" that we see on Sundays.

At the helm of this operation is a man who garners more respect than seemingly the franchise itself. Someone who has already drafted what seems to be one of the best LTs in the NFL. Someone who has put together arguably the best scouting department in the league. Joe Douglas was given a 6 year, lucrative deal in order to be the General Manager of this team. He inherited the Head Coach, the QB, and everything else that we are too embarrassed to mention.

So how can we have someone like Joe Douglas running THIS operation? It doesn't make any sense. The pieces do not align AT ALL.

I believe that Joe wanted to clean house at the end of the season but was not allowed to by ownership. So what did he do? - He signed players to 1 year deals. He did not make any splash signings. He potentially used COVID as an excuse to tell our best player in CJ Mosely to opt-out and save his body for future years - real years. He did not surround our "franchise quarterback" with any skill-positions to succeed with. He started to build an offensive line because offensive lines need time together in order to be great with key pieces at LT (1st Round Pick) & C (3 Year Deal), positions that regardless of scheme are most versatile in adapting to new ones. He promised to protect Sam Darnold, but he really meant his next quarterback.

I think Joe did this to force ownership's hand and overall, his plan into reality - there is no reality where this sh!tshow continues to survive. He wants to bring in a real head coach, who will in-turn bring in HIS quarterback. Let's be honest, any respected HC is going to bring in HIS quarterback. We see this time and time again, as recent as Kliff Kingsbury & Kyler Murray.

I believe the Jets will be picking #1 next year, where they will use the promise of Trevor Lawrence plus Joe's garnered respect and overall expertise and track-record (Mekhi Becton) to bring in HIS guy and build a winning program and organization. Let me iterate, Joe is on HIS 6-year plan - I don't think Adam Gase or Sam Darnold are apart of it.

Edited by Bianconero

59 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

Let's review the insanity that is the current state of this franchise. This franchise employs the worst Head Coach in the NFL. Every week, through every channel of media, the New York Jets are laughed at, ridiculed for their incompetence, and made a mockery of. They have a "franchise quarterback" who will be viewed as a reclamation project by his next team. The ex-best player and former face of this team, and soon face of the NFL as a whole (on defense), did things to distance himself from this organization that we had not previously seen in the NFL. This toxicity and overall embarrassment has even begun to leak from within: current players, including Bradley McDougald (someone who has been in this origination for 2 months) are beginning to comment on the lack of preparation that goes into the "product" that we see on Sundays.

At the helm of this operation is a man who garners more respect than seemingly the franchise itself. Someone who has already drafted what seems to be one of the best LTs in the NFL. Someone who has put together arguably the best scouting department in the league. Joe Douglas was given a 6 year, lucrative deal in order to be the General Manager of this team. He inherited the Head Coach, the QB, and everything else that we are too embarrassed to mention.

So how can we have someone like Joe Douglas running THIS operation? It doesn't make any sense. The pieces do not align AT ALL.

I believe that Joe wanted to clean house at the end of the season but was not allowed to by ownership. So what did he do? - He signed players to 1 year deals. He did not make any splash signings. He potentially used COVID as an excuse to tell our best player in CJ Mosely to opt-out and save his body for future years - real years. He did not surround our "franchise quarterback" with any skill-positions to succeed with. He started to build an offensive line because offensive lines need time together in order to be great with key pieces at LT (1st Round Pick) & C (3 Year Deal), positions that regardless of scheme are most versatile in adapting to new ones. He promised to protect Sam Darnold, but he really meant his next quarterback.

I think Joe did this to force ownership's hand and overall, his plan into reality - there is no reality where this sh!tshow continues to survive. He wants to bring in a real head coach, who will in-turn bring in HIS quarterback. Let's be honest, any respected HC is going to bring in HIS quarterback. We see this time and time again, as recent as Kliff Kingsbury & Kyler Murray.

I believe the Jets will be picking #1 next year, where they will use the promise of Trevor Lawrence plus Joe's garnered respect and overall expertise and track-record (Mekhi Becton) to bring in HIS guy and build a winning program and organization. Let me iterate, Joe is on HIS 6-year plan - I don't think Adam Gase or Sam Darnold are apart of it.

It sure looks like the Jets are heading in that direction, I don't think it will be that dramatic, unless Darnold, doesn't starts looking like a franchise QB. then the doors will come off this team. As we stand now we only have about 24 players on our roster that could make  other teams in NFL. For all of us this is just another lost season, we went thru 60 mock drafts, 30 hypothetical trades for four months, and three month of idle chatter. And how close are we of being a expansion team. Now that Jacksonville, has a good young QB I doubt they leave Florida, but how does the London Jets sound? I has a nice ring to It.

Edited by doumeyer

30 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

It sure looks like the Jets are heading in that direction, I don't think it will be that dramatic, unless Darnold, doesn't starts looking like a franchise QB. then the doors will come off this team. As we stand now we only have about 24 players on our roster that could make  other teams in NFL. For all of us this is just another lost season, we went thru 60 mock drafts, 30 hypothetical trades for four months, and three month of idle chatter. And how close are we of being a expansion team. Now that Jacksonville, has a good young QB I doubt they leave Florida, but how does the London Jets sound? I has a nice ring to It.

I would not be a fan anymore. I have been a jets fan for 37 years and if they move outside the country to London that would be the end for me as a Jets fan. 

I do see JD having a very long term plan because he is here for 6 years. I really do think in 2 years we have only a few guys on this team. 

5 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I would not be a fan anymore. I have been a jets fan for 37 years and if they move outside the country to London that would be the end for me as a Jets fan. 

I do see JD having a very long term plan because he is here for 6 years. I really do think in 2 years we have only a few guys on this team. 

OK So you go back to the Joe Klecko, Mark Gastineau, Freeman Mc Neil, Weslely Walker. Kenny O' Brien era these players  were great. When I tell the young guy on our board about these players they don' believe me. It nice to talk to someone on this board who isn't 14 years old.

2 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

OK So you go back to the Joe Klecko, Mark Gastineau, Freeman Mc Neil, Weslely Walker. Kenny O' Brien era these players  were great. When I tell the young guy on our board about these players they don' believe me. It nice to talk to someone on this board who isn't 14 years old.

thumb_am-if-she-12-11231817.png

• Like 1

The jets obviously aren't trying. Gase needs to be fired.

And I dont see anything wrong with Darnold other than he has hsd terrible teams around him and bad coaching. 

If they go Lawrence,  fine. But I think you'll see Darnold become a star.

You dont see allen succeeding and Darnold failing because hes better.  You seeit because Allen has had a better situation.  Better coaching,  better players around him. 

They allowed Allen to flourish.  While the jets expect darnold to succeed with zero run game, zero nfl wrs, and the worst coach in football. 

You give Darnold a real run game, and real nfl wrs I bet you he stars. Hes ultra talented  

If we do end up with Lawrence,  hopefully they dont do the same to him. This organization is a disaster.

I feel like our front office is capable now, but Gase is not the man. I just want a HC who knows how to run a team and can prepare. Hires good coordinators.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

The jets obviously aren't trying. Gase needs to be fired.

And I dont see anything wrong with Darnold other than he has hsd terrible teams around him and bad coaching. 

If they go Lawrence,  fine. But I think you'll see Darnold become a star.

You dont see allen succeeding and Darnold failing because hes better.  You seeit because Allen has had a better situation.  Better coaching,  better players around him. 

They allowed Allen to flourish.  While the jets expect darnold to succeed with zero run game, zero nfl wrs, and the worst coach in football. 

You give Darnold a real run game, and real nfl wrs I bet you he stars. Hes ultra talented  

If we do end up with Lawrence,  hopefully they dont do the same to him. This organization is a disaster.

I feel like our front office is capable now, but Gase is not the man. I just want a HC who knows how to run a team and can prepare. Hires good coordinators.

I agree with you - I think Sam becomes a great QB but unfortunately not here

I’m probably in the minority but I 100% disagree with your post.

Joe D has spelled out his plan for us. He wants to build through the draft. He wants to build the trenches first. Everything he did during the offseason supports these ideas. You can’t build an entire team through the draft in 1 offseason.

I also don’t think the intention was to fire Gase and to get a new QB. He’s building the team from the inside out.

Gase’s performance is getting himself fired. And Darnold may well be replaced but I don’t believe that was Joe’s plan when he took the job. Darnold was coming off his rookie year when JD joined the Jets.

Edited by SDotNova

47 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

I agree with you - I think Sam becomes a great QB but unfortunately not here

I saw a suggestion of him going to the steelers,  if that happened I guarantee you he comes a star.

The jets are a pathetic organization,  i honesty am not watching anymore until gase is fired.

The only highlight is watching Becton man handle grown men.

3 hours ago, Bianconero said:

Let's review the insanity that is the current state of this franchise. This franchise employs the worst Head Coach in the NFL. Every week, through every channel of media, the New York Jets are laughed at, ridiculed for their incompetence, and made a mockery of. They have a "franchise quarterback" who will be viewed as a reclamation project by his next team. The ex-best player and former face of this team, and soon face of the NFL as a whole (on defense), did things to distance himself from this organization that we had not previously seen in the NFL. This toxicity and overall embarrassment has even begun to leak from within: current players, including Bradley McDougald (someone who has been in this organization for 2 months) are beginning to comment on the lack of preparation that goes into the "product" that we see on Sundays.

There are a couple of issues I see here. 
1. JA is NOT the face now or the future of the NFL. He is a good S, that is it. By the way, how is Seattle’s D this year?  How long before JA complains about his contract?

2.  How on earth did you come to the conclusion JD want s to do X and ownership said No, do Y? Do you have insider for you can share?

3.  His one year deals were meant to protect cap space at a time no one was as sure if hat it would be moving forward. Smart money management. Let’s face it, he did not sign big ticket FA’s to 1 year deals, they were  replacement level players. Again if you have inside info on hand forcing, please share. 
4.  While it may be true a new HC will want his QB, there was a time when we all thought having Sam was a great attraction for a new HC. Perhaps that has changed, but Sam has been dealt a bad hand by our previous GM and may still be looked upon favorably. I stated in another thread, Sam may be don for the Jets, but he still a viable QB. 
5. JD told Mosley to opt out?  Really?  If anything it is a bad thing because we now can’t get out of that albatross contract for another year. This goes against everything JD is trying to. Come on!

You speculate an awful lot here and most of it is hard to digest. 

12 minutes ago, xrade said:

There are a couple of issues I see here. 
1. JA is NOT the face now or the future of the NFL. He is a good S, that is it. By the way, how is Seattle’s D this year?  How long before JA complains about his contract?

2.  How on earth did you come to the conclusion JD want s to do X and ownership said No, do Y? Do you have insider for you can share?

3.  His one year deals were meant to protect cap space at a time no one was as sure if hat it would be moving forward. Smart money management. Let’s face it, he did not sign big ticket FA’s to 1 year deals, they were  replacement level players. Again if you have inside info on hand forcing, please share. 
4.  While it may be true a new HC will want his QB, there was a time when we all thought having Sam was a great attraction for a new HC. Perhaps that has changed, but Sam has been dealt a bad hand by our previous GM and may still be looked upon favorably. I stated in another thread, Sam may be don for the Jets, but he still a viable QB. 
5. JD told Mosley to opt out?  Really?  If anything it is a bad thing because we now can’t get out of that albatross contract for another year. This goes against everything JD is trying to. Come on!

You speculate an awful lot here and most of it is hard to digest. 

1. I obviously disagree - that's fine

2. I came to this conclusion based on everything that I stated - this entire situation, led by a well respected and smart man, does not make sense to me otherwise

3. That's speculation on your part - we have seen mammoth deals given out all off-season

4. I agree

5. Maybe Douglas loves Mosley - he comes from the same place he did - we don't know

Yes, this is all speculation as this is a think-piece. The underlying issue and reason for which I wrote this is because nothing in our current situation makes sense. As I stated, the pieces do not align AT ALL