GDT 9/28/2020 Week 3: 2-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 2-0 Kansas City Chiefs

DreamKid

Just now, AngusMcFife said:

There were two times when Brown had a couple steps and was free running down the sideline, Lamar missed both throws. They aren't gimme throws, but he has to connect on them sometimes.

Rewatching the offense, it is clear that KC had absolutely no respect for the deep pass. They were usually in single high safety, and the safety was jumping intermediate passes over the middle all game. 

The LBs and CBs played the receivers tight, as if they had help over the top even though they didn't. 

Well I mean aside from Hollywood we don't have any deep threats anyways.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Well I mean aside from Hollywood we don't have any deep threats anyways.

But if the defense knows you are never going to throw deep, or if you do you won't connect, it is very easy to sit on all the other routes. If I remember, Boykin caught a nice bomb vs Seattle last year. 

The way the defense was playing, you don't have to be a burner to get open deep. The safeties were in the box all night long. 

5 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

I think his pocket presence or lack there of is more concerning than his throws at this point this year.

Don't disagree on point 2.

Pocket presence goes hand in hand with offensive line play. There were some terrible errors in pass blocking. 

I wonder if Lamar is ready to handle responsibilities related to calling out protections. I'd think that knowing the blocking assignments would help him know where the pressure might come from. 

I waited for Flacco to learn how to do this for 8 years, though, so I'm not sure if that's unreasonable at this stage. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Pocket presence goes hand in hand with offensive line play. There were some terrible errors in pass blocking. 

I wonder if Lamar is ready to handle responsibilities related to calling out protections. I'd think that knowing the blocking assignments would help him know where the pressure might come from. 

I waited for Flacco to learn how to do this for 8 years, though, so I'm not sure if that's unreasonable at this stage. 

I'm more concerned about Lamar's pocket presence than I am about our OL. He's been outright bad these last two weeks. He's leaving way too many okay pockets.

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 1

I don’t know what other people quantify as a “clean pocket.” Because I can remember at least 5 plays where the OL was rendering pressure within less than 2 seconds.

Combine that with the pistol read on almost every play and those 2 seconds come right as Lamar is readying to engage.

I’ll need people to point out specific plays where he’s bailing a clean pocket. Especially when the pressure is coming from all sorts of ways; guys losing 1on1 in pass pro (Brown Jr and Skura especially) as well as being confused by protections (Philips) or just flat out overwhelmed (Bozeman). Stanley is the only reliable pass protector on the OL. So if there’s phantom pressure being sensed, it likely has to do with no stability along the OL. They can’t do anything well. If they simply get overwhelmed by stunts, cool. If the right side was week but the left side strong, cool.

As it stands Football Outsiders have confirmed what I’ve seen, the Ravens adjusted sack rate is second only to the Texans. And both are a good bit behind the 30th ranked unit.

At this point those rolexes they all got last year need to be revoked until further notice.

When we talk about "leaving" clean pockets, an analyst (maybe DJ or Baldinger) pointed out that while a pocket might be clean for 2 seconds, by 2,5 seconds that pocket has collapsed and QB's notice that, so at times it makes sense to leave the clean pocket to buy some more seconds.

I can follow that thought

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I don’t know what other people quantify as a “clean pocket.” Because I can remember at least 5 plays where the OL was rendering pressure within less than 2 seconds.

Combine that with the pistol read on almost every play and those 2 seconds come right as Lamar is readying to engage.

I’ll need people to point out specific plays where he’s bailing a clean pocket. Especially when the pressure is coming from all sorts of ways; guys losing 1on1 in pass pro (Brown Jr and Skura especially) as well as being confused by protections (Philips) or just flat out overwhelmed (Bozeman). Stanley is the only reliable pass protector on the OL. So if there’s phantom pressure being sensed, it likely has to do with no stability along the OL. They can’t do anything well. If they simply get overwhelmed by stunts, cool. If the right side was week but the left side strong, cool.

As it stands Football Outsiders have confirmed what I’ve seen, the Ravens adjusted sack rate is second only to the Texans. And both are a good bit behind the 30th ranked unit.

At this point those rolexes they all got last year need to be revoked until further notice.

I agree with everything here.

47 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

By far the worst play was by Bozeman with 0:51 left in the second quarter. There are only 4 rushers. Bozeman wants to pass Jones off to Stanley, but Jones just splits Bozeman and Stanley for the sack/fumble, Chiefs recover. 

Leaving Chris Jones unblocked 🙄 It is possible Stanley should have blocked him because #51 was stunting. Just piss poor communication/execution. 

I watched the offense and didn't see many Skura errors, but it wasn't a deep dive. I thought the OTs were the ones having a rough night. 

3 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

By far the worst play was by Bozeman with 0:51 left in the second quarter. There are only 4 rushers. Bozeman wants to pass Jones off to Stanley, but Jones just splits Bozeman and Stanley for the sack/fumble, Chiefs recover. 

Leaving Chris Jones unblocked 🙄 It is possible Stanley should have blocked him because #51 was stunting. Just piss poor communication/execution. 

I watched the offense and didn't see many Skura errors, but it wasn't a deep dive. I thought the OTs were the ones having a rough night. 

Oh. With regard to that post I’m talking about this entire season. Not just this past game against the Chiefs. They’ve all been taking their turns at being turnstiles. It’s pathetic.

• Like 1