GDT 9/28/2020 Week 3: 2-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 2-0 Kansas City Chiefs

DreamKid

3 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

^^^lol Was literally just about to post that M10 good job. Should note that he gets Clark-Thomas practice incident wrong- Earl blew the coverage.

Yeah I just ignored his captions haha. Some of these plays are just so bad. Like worst in the NFL looking defense bad.

I don't get why Wink stuck with the blitz strategy. They weren't well designed to begin with and were exploited from start to finish. A solid contain rush with occasional blitzers would have been more than fine. The Chiefs OL isn't great and guys like Campbell, Bowser, McPhee, and Williams had their share of straight up wins. When the Chiefs didn't have pass catchers simply streaking open, Mahomes had massive running lanes to leak out into.

Mahomes isn't outrunning Bowser or Judon on the edge, and that IOL for the Chiefs isn't strong. Keep our front home, don't let Mahomes scramble, and force tight window throws. 

• Like 1

Cian cuts Wink pretty hard here:

"The broadcast team on MNF kept lauding praise on Martindale because of his diverse play calling. I believe that's a big motivator for defensive coaches. They stand out more when they do more different things. They get talked up and can wind up getting HC jobs. The problem is they start caring about showing off more than they care about good play design or good play calling. Nobody lavishes praise on the DCs that are blander but whose defences execute at a high level."

I've gotta say I agree. He tried to outsmart Reid and Mahomes and got utterly undressed in the process. How about teaching good, sound football and disciplined technique? He's trying to be the smart guy, when he clearly nowhere near the class of Reid. 

5 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I don't get why Wink stuck with the blitz strategy. They weren't well designed to begin with and were exploited from start to finish. A solid contain rush with occasional blitzers would have been more than fine. The Chiefs OL isn't great and guys like Campbell, Bowser, McPhee, and Williams had their share of straight up wins. When the Chiefs didn't have pass catchers simply streaking open, Mahomes had massive running lanes to leak out into.

Mahomes isn't outrunning Bowser or Judon on the edge, and that IOL for the Chiefs isn't strong. Keep our front home, don't let Mahomes scramble, and force tight window throws. 

He knows we can't get pressure on Mahomes organically.

9 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He knows we can't get pressure on Mahomes organically.

I think we can. Keep it simple next time. I mean even McPhee shoved Eric Fisher down into Mahomes' lap within a couple seconds. That OL struggled. We actually helped them with long developing blitzes.

Especially if Madubuike can emerge as a decent interior rush option throughout the year, just let our guys hunt. Keep Pat contained and force him to throw into solid coverage. 

4 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I think we can. Keep it simple next time. I mean even McPhee shoved Eric Fisher down into Mahomes' lap within a couple seconds. That OL struggled. We actually helped them with long developing blitzes.

Especially if Madubuike can emerge as a decent interior rush option throughout the year, just let our guys hunt. Keep Pat contained and force him to throw into solid coverage. 

I agree with this after watching last night. If Mahomes is going to make that Tyreek Hill TD pass and beat us that way. I'll tip my cap and say good game. There were WAY too many throws where receivers had 5 yards of space in every direction.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

I agree with this after watching last night. If Mahomes is going to make that Tyreek Hill TD pass and beat us that way. I'll tip my cap and say good game.

Exactly. 

If you can routinely beat the likes of Jimmy Smith, Marlon Humphrey, and Marcus Peters with legitimately perfect throw and catch scenarios- more power to you. You deserve the 30 burger you'll put up on the defense. I don't see that as a sustainable route to victory though. Neither did Andy Reid, which is why he baked a season's worth(for most playcallers) of extra into their game script/plays. 

We don't have the front of a SF or LAC. We do have a much better secondary then them though. Our front can capitalize on the extra 1 or 2 seconds provided by our coverage unit and eventually take advantage of a much less than stellar KC line.

What we saw on Monday was 'Unorganized Chaos'. Needlessly cute blitz packages that hurt us and helped the opposition. That can't happen again.

Edited by DreamKid

Watching Brian Baldinger's film review, KC did straight up beat our corners all night long, even when we didn't really blitz. Marcus Peters got taken behind the shed and executed pretty much. Marlon and Jimmy played well, but Patrick Queen got abused like a rookie and that's about it. Wink did what he knows how to do - blitz. We were just very undisciplined on the back end.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Watching Brian Baldinger's film review, KC did straight up beat our corners all night long, even when we didn't really blitz. Marcus Peters got taken behind the shed and executed pretty much. Marlon and Jimmy played well, but Patrick Queen got abused like a rookie and that's about it. Wink did what he knows how to do - blitz. We were just very undisciplined on the back end.

Yea, I'm not sure he got overly or specially cute for this game. This is how his defense has operated since he took over and it's been very successful most of the time. We got beat, simple as that. All there is to do is figure out how to improve and do better in the future.