GDT 9/28/2020 Week 3: 2-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 2-0 Kansas City Chiefs

DreamKid

16 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Yea, I'm not sure he got overly or specially cute for this game. This is how his defense has operated since he took over and it's been very successful most of the time. We got beat, simple as that. All there is to do is figure out how to improve and do better in the future.

The application of blitzes is fine, normal, and commonplace for Wink. I found the structure/design of them to be flawed/cute though. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

The application of blitzes is fine, normal, and commonplace for Wink. I found the structure/design of them to be flawed/cute though. 

Exactly this. We know Wink loves to blitz, but you have to a) know your opponent and b) understand schematically sometimes less is more.

I just remember the one play where they had Judon drop back pre-snap to blitz the b gap and they ended up letting Mahomes scramble outside for an easy 1st down. Like, why Wink, WHY?!

• Like 1

I have so far watched the oline until the overthrow on Andrews that was almost an interception, the same play where Snead and Boykin ran into eachother.

So far, I have only really spotted 1 play, where the oline didn't perform in pass pro, and that was the almost fumble by Lamar where Chris Jones beat Bradley Bozeman and the pocket collapsed in 2 seconds. IF Bozeman had blocked for just one more second, Lamar would have had the chance to find Marquise Brown on a deep pass down the middle. The potential for a big play was there.

In general, Lamar did step up into the pocket and deliver throws. There where some inaccurate throws, but nothing really bad.

The overthrow to Andrews and on the play Snead and Boykin collided, it was a cover zero play and I think Lamar didn't read this play the right way. Chiefs rushed 6 vs. 5 and had two players with a free release towards Lamar from the Ravens right side. Lamar immediately run back and to his right, although he had Boykin on a slant that should have been his hot read. He also had an opportunity to run through the B gap as Stanley pushed his man around the arc.

So far the lack of plays lies on Lamar, Andrews and Brown, not on the oline. That might change when I watch the rest of the game.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Yea, I'm not sure he got overly or specially cute for this game. This is how his defense has operated since he took over and it's been very successful most of the time. We got beat, simple as that. All there is to do is figure out how to improve and do better in the future.

i think wink's agressive style of defense is the worst matchup against reid/mahomes, this is why we've gotten shredded every game we've played them on defense. our blitz isn't good enough + mahomes is too mobile, even when our guy gets there(which isn't much) mahomes can't be taken down + andy reid knows wink always calls a blitz on 3rd down. would really like to see us run a ultra safe dean pees style bend but dont break 3-4 man rush vs reid/mahomes. even last season on the last drive wink called a blitz and we got beat by a guy wide open on the flat. ya i'm so tired of getting burnt by guys wide open on screens that i want a dean pees style defense vs this team.

On 9/30/2020 at 12:24 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Watching Brian Baldinger's film review, KC did straight up beat our corners all night long, even when we didn't really blitz. Marcus Peters got taken behind the shed and executed pretty much. Marlon and Jimmy played well, but Patrick Queen got abused like a rookie and that's about it. Wink did what he knows how to do - blitz. We were just very undisciplined on the back end.

Reid had a excellent plan to exploit Patrick Queen, specifically. They had A+ scheming and execution against us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

You guys think this is a hold?

I don't think it is a hold that should be called. In general I am in favor of less ticky tack calls of holding and PI's.

Unfortunately refs are so inconsistent in their calls as well as their assumed "hitting to the head" calls while never giving the defender the benefit of doubt

1 minute ago, Danand said:

I don't think it is a hold that should be called. In general I am in favor of less ticky tack calls of holding and PI's.

That's where I'm at. Going by the book you could probably get the RT there, but I don't see it as an egregious example of the new non call trend. 

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

You guys think this is a hold?

Hold. But wouldn’t call it. Would prefer to see Bowser mix it up there with a fake outside with an inside spin move. Especially with Harrison there behind him covering the flats to assist with a Mahomes scramble. That and Bowser has the reaction and recovery speed to chase Mahomes down... whereas I never want to see Judon doing such a thing against Mahomes, too slow.

3 hours ago, M.10.E said:

This was the play that pissed me off the most last week. Finally found a clip of it. Just all around horrendous. We look like the Titans the year we sacked Mariota 12 times.

I do remember this play. Really the only play where Lamar immediately took his eyes from downfield, but not the only play where Bozeman and Stanley gave up instant pressure.

Lamar needs to do a better job of identifying the hot read. Though with the defense doing a great job of mixing in when they double team Andrews it makes it difficult to target Andrews there off the jump as that could lead to an interception and no points.

So really what it boils down to is Orlando Brown cannot allow himself to get beat like a drum like he’s done in every game this season. At this rate, the Ravens should consider moving Brown inside to right guard and moving Philips to RT. Less ideal in his size potentially masking passing lanes for Lamar, but the opposite would also be true as defenders would have a harder time seeing when the QB is about to pass. Brown is a people mover and inside at guard might be a Kelechi Osemele type.

2 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Reid had a excellent plan to exploit Patrick Queen, specifically. They had A+ scheming and execution against us. 

Yup. Queen was abused in a coverage snap against David Johnson last week. Took little imagination to see how I would attack him with a RB with CEH skillset. Queen looks like he’s added additional bulk from last season at LSU. Really don’t think he’s got the quickness with the additional bulk to really hang with RBs in coverage until he adds experience from man coverage reps. If I’m an OC he’s a fundamental part of my gameplan’s attack strategy.

2 hours ago, Danand said:

Unfortunately refs are so inconsistent in their calls as well as their assumed "hitting to the head" calls while never giving the defender the benefit of doubt

Agreed. When they make these calls against us and not on the other team is the only time I get upset.

Patrick Queen had an insanely rough stretch to start the 2. half. First beat on a route by Eeeelair, then flagged for the horse collar tackle, then misses a tackle on Eeeeeeeelair because he lunges and then run himself out of the play on the Darwin thompson fumble

Regarding the oline, the issues I see was Chris Jones splitting Bozeman and Stanley to end the 2. quarter.

The screen that Hitchens blew up to start the Ravens possession after the recovered fumble was due to Stanley looking back at the ball for some reason instead of finding a man to block. Looks really weird when watching it again.

The drive continues though as Jackson and Gus runs for first downs. The run game is going here. No issues in pass protection. Lamar picks up a first down but he had Snead open deep he could have taken a shot if he wanted to. Then we have a perfect pocket, perfect throw and Mark Andrews can't make the catch in the endzone. Then Lamar finds Dobbins on a quick slant and JK chooses to try and cut inside of the defender instead of using his momentum to continue forward. In my opinion, Boykin makes illegal contact downfield to get his defender in Dobbins defenders lane. Drive ends with a field goal after Orlando Brown false start.

Next offensive drive is decent blocking.  Lamar hits Boykin for 8 yards after rolling out of the pocket, Ingram converts on 2. down. Then Gus runs wild from the pistol formation - the commentary focuses on Sorensen, but I think its the linebacker wilson who respects the opportunity for Lamar to keep the ball which leaves a big hole for Edwards. Then Lamar throw a TD to Boyle. Play action, nice protection.

With 8 minutes left to play, we have something that looks like lack of communication on the oline. They never adjust, so Bozeman ends up blocking air, while Orlando Brown have to go inside and help on the blitz, he gives a little shove to Clark, i think it is. Lamar makes the pass to Dobbins.

The next couple of plays a great pass blocking. Ravens convert on illegal hands to the face on Phillips, a quick slant to Dobbins and a pass to Brown.

Chiefs runs a lot of cover zero and man cover 1 in this part of the game but Lamar hits his receivers.

With 6.20 left, we have the play Ken McCusick also points out, where Brown is waaaay to late out of his stance. Lamar has Andrews wide open for the 1. down though, don't know why he doesn't make that throw. Play ends up in a sack

13 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

@Danand completely random, but is that you in your profile picture. Usually I’m on my phone and don’t pay as much attention to the images (because of their size) but on a bigger screen, I cant help but wonder.

That's me. Picture is taken by my coach after the doctors first attempt to get my foot/ankle back into place

I have no excuse for the wannabe James Hetfield beard

• Like 1