GDT 9/28/2020 Week 3: 2-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 2-0 Kansas City Chiefs

DreamKid

The play after the sack, I think our oline is confused again. Brown goes inside to help Phillips, but 1 of the 5 rushers pulls back and drop into coverage which leads to Brown, Phillips, Skura and Bozeman blocking 2 rushers and the left ends runs free towards lamar and sack him. Hail mary to boykin on 4 and 24.

After watching the game again, I don't have the feeling our oline played bad in the sense that they lost their individual matchups over and over again. It happened a few times with Chris Jones, but the main issue seemed to be the communication/scheme as they prioritized closing the inside rush lanes which lead to the outside rushers getting free paths to Lamar.

What killed us was a few bad throws, I counted 4, and 6 drops and a defense that was taken behind the shed and put in a miniskirt to do funny haha lets not talk about it to the grown ups

Edited by Danand
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danand said:

The play after the sack, I think our oline is confused again. Brown goes inside to help Phillips, but 1 of the 5 rushers pulls back and drop into coverage which leads to Brown, Phillips, Skura and Bozeman blocking 2 rushers and the left ends runs free towards lamar and sack him. Hail mary to boykin on 4 and 24.

After watching the game again, I don't have the feeling our oline played bad in the sense that they lost their individual matchups over and over again. It happened a few times with Chris Jones, but the main issue seemed to be the communication/scheme as they prioritized closing the inside rush lanes which lead to the outside rushers getting free paths to Lamar.

What killed us was a few bad throws, I counted 4, and 6 drops and a defense that was taken behind the shed and put in a miniskirt to do funny haha lets not talk about it to the grown ups

Yup. This is largely what Ive seen from the games... only I’d add Brown as a guy that has consistently (at least compared to his performance last season) lost in 1on1 opportunities. The communication has been abysmal, Ive said it time and again. Doesn’t make sense why they’re not communicating with each other, especially with a rookie on the line, so that they’re all aware of what each other is trying to do. Could you imagine if they had to communicate in the middle of a loud stadium along the road... well, I suppose it would be the same result, since they don’t communicate now anyways.

Maybe they do like that one poster in NFL Comparison that stares people in the eyes and can immediately tell what kind of player they are down to their soul. Maybe thats how our OL prefers to communicate, in some sort of Avatar (note: not TLA, but the blue people) type of way. Either way, they need to start communicating like humans do best (I think), verbally.

Maybe they have a code that calls out the stunt like “Double Water Spring” meaning stunt to the right. Then the OL communicating who they have in the event the stunt goes as assumed. Dropping back into their spots, but knowing that if the defense overloads a gap, they’ve got “X player” while someone else has “Y player”. None of that communication really needs the QB, thats communication with any zone defense, which is essentially what the OL does when in pass protection, play zone defense and defend the basket/goal (the QB). I’ve never seen a great zone defense without great player communication.

I really can't pinpoint what is happening. Brown helping inside seem too deliberate for it to be a mistake. Stanley does the same thing a couple of times in this game. Why Brown/Stanley can't work outside to in, in case an extra rusher comes into their zone, I don't know, but I can't fault them for what seems to be on purpose. 

I would prefer they didn't go "all in" on those blocks so they could take care of the edge. I only saw 3-4 plays from Brown in this game where I thought he looked bad, the late reaction to the snap and false start was two of them as well as 2 instances of him never finding a guy to block in the run game. 

If I have to sum up from the oline plays we discussed on the board from the last two games, it is a lack of coordination when the defense is overloading a side. We don't seem to adjust properly, which ends up having 1 guy block air and 3-4 olines blocking 2 rushers and then 1 rusher is in Lamars face