Week 3 GDT: Eagles vs Bengals- Who cares we suck

EaglesPeteC

49 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

It's like Groundhog day with some of you every single season. Only (insert) whichever Back up QB's name is at that time here __________?

It’s not every year where they draft a QB in the second round with already having a young “franchise QB” in place. 

Do the math, name me a franchise in the past that has drafted a QB in the first couple rounds that didn’t expect him to start for that franchise within 3-4 years max. The FO told us something when they drafted Hurts. It was either we don’t like Carson’s career trajectory, Carson is too often injured to be relied upon to lead a franchise or they saw something last year that turned them off, off/on field what ever may be. That’s the only reason you draft a QB in the 2nd round in the middle of a 2-3 year retooling. They should have been looking for some weapons for him or stabilizing the OL/DL. Yet, they went QB. Why would they do that? And that’s a direct question. I’d like you to answer that.  

7 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Carson is too often injured to be relied upon

You already answered it. This isnt about replacing Wentz but making sure at no point in the next few seasons that the Eagles are ever put in a situation again where they have to start a Josh McCown type QB in a playoff game and waste a entire year on a scrub back up!

If Wentz is healthy great, Hurts becomes a young , athletic insurance policy (better then Sudfeld) one they will flip at worst in the future for Trade compensation. Just like numerous other back up Eagles QB have been from the past.

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

You already answered it. This isnt about replacing Wentz but making sure at no point in the next few seasons that the Eagles are ever put in a situation again where they have to start a Josh McCown type QB in a playoff game and waste a entire year on a scrub back up!

If Wentz is healthy great, Hurts becomes a young , athletic insurance policy (better then Sudfeld) one they will flip at worst in the future for Trade compensation. Just like numerous other back up Eagles QB have been from the past.

The other part of that quote is “...to lead a franchise.”  And still, I’d like to know if you can recall any franchise that’s done this before. This usually is the excuse teams makes when they want to either move on or dip their toe in another direction. Let’s be serious here, this isn’t going to be Carson and Hurts for the next 10 years.  This is going to be whomever the franchise wants to roll with solely. If Hurts is ready and proves himself when/if he gets his shot because Wentz is struggling or hurt, Carson’s out the door. 

37 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I’d like to know if you can recall any franchise that’s done this before.

Brady- Garrapolo

Ben- Dobbs

Ben- Rudolph 

McNabb - Kolb

Elway-Maddox

It's almost like you're trying to suggest this is similar to a Josh Rosen / Kyler Murray type scenario in AZ, its not. Not even in the slightest. Injury will get Wentz replaced long term not a couple of games stretch where fans want to overreact and scream at the moon. Like they do every season the Eagles have a losing streak.

The best player in most Eagles fans eyes is always the back up QB. Only made exponentially worse by the 2017 fluke of a SB season.

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Brady- Garrapolo

Ben- Dobbs

Ben- Rudolph 

McNabb - Kolb

Elway-Maddox

It's almost like you're trying to suggest this is similar to a Josh Rosen / Kyler Murray type scenario in AZ, its not. Not even in the slightest. Injury will get Wentz replaced long term not a couple of games stretch where fans want to overreact and scream at the moon. Like they do every season the Eagles have a losing streak.

The best player in most Eagles fans eyes is always the back up QB. Only made exponentially worse by the 2017 fluke of a SB season.

Those examples, although not entirely similar to the current Eagles situation, all are proving my point. The couple that are similar were drafted to be replacements. All those QBs were either at odds with age or their coaches. We know Belichick was looking to push Brady out. Ben is a 1000 years old and is always banged up. Reid saw McNabbs end coming and issued his papers 2 years after the Kolb draft. He was looking for the next guy when he was drafted. Maddox was a Dan Reeves pick who notoriously hated Elway. All these guys were at least 31-32 as well. Point is, when a franchise drafts guys early like that, they are looking to move on from the current guy for whatever reason. 

What I’m suggesting is that the FO isn’t as enamored with Wentz as we may think. You say that’s it’s going to be injuries that take out Wentz long term. It may already be here. Wentz got hurt again to end his season. That’s 3 out of 4 seasons. That’s a problem. Maybe it’s a problem that the FO is tired of dealing with. It’s clear he has no intentions of changing the way he plays. And it’s reckless. Howie can’t be left holding the bag anymore when Carson wants to play hero ball again and get injured for 12 weeks. 

I’m not saying Carson is done. I’m not saying I want Hurts. But the FO made a move that no team has done with a full backing of their young, franchise QB in place. I think he’s more than an insurance policy. I believe that if Wentz goes down again or is benched for poor play this year, he’s done. There’s no going back to him. I’m not a knee-jerk guy. I don’t usually give notice to the backup. But the FO does and that’s what’s important. The writing is on the wall for Wentz; perform like we’re paying you or find yourself the door. 

I'm just gonna say this now. I don't think it matters how poorly Carson plays for the entirety of this year. As long as he's healthy I don't see him being benched. A rookie who we reached on in the 2nd round isn't going to come in and spark a big cultural turnaround in a snap and save any jobs. Carson is this regime's best shot at maintaining their jobs so the ship sinks/sails on the arm of Carson.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I'm just gonna say this now. I don't think it matters how poorly Carson plays for the entirety of this year. As long as he's healthy I don't see him being benched. A rookie who we reached on in the 2nd round isn't going to come in and spark a big cultural turnaround in a snap and save any jobs. Carson is this regime's best shot at maintaining their jobs so the ship sinks/sails on the arm of Carson.

But what’s the point? If Went continues to be bad for the year, there’s nothing to salvage. Would anyone just expect a turnaround in 2021 or something? He would be done in an Eagles uniform. Maybe we don’t throw a rookie 2nd rounder in but why not? Whats there to lose? Obviously purely hypothetical, but if Wentz is terrible, don’t you want to see the kid play because we’d either be looking for a QB early in the draft next year or going to put our eggs into the Hurts pick, depending on how he does with those remaining games.  

3 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

But what’s the point? If Went continues to be bad for the year, there’s nothing to salvage. Would anyone just expect a turnaround in 2021 or something? He would be done in an Eagles uniform. Maybe we don’t throw a rookie 2nd rounder in but why not? Whats there to lose? Obviously purely hypothetical, but if Wentz is terrible, don’t you want to see the kid play because we’d either be looking for a QB early in the draft next year or going to put our eggs into the Hurts pick, depending on how he does with those remaining games.  

Because Doug is the one calling the shots. If Wentz has been bad enough to the point where Doug would actually consider benching him, then there's a good chance Doug is a dead man walking. If Lurie tries to intervene and force Hurts in, then that's going to send a bad message to any potential coaches who'd replace Doug, suggesting maybe they shouldn't take this job. If we're like 2-6 at the Bye, the best chance for this team to try and come back and save face on a 2nd half turnaround would be with Wentz at the helm and Doug knows that. Putting in Hurts we probably finish the season at 4-12 and no better, then Doug is out. 

tl;dr, Putting Hurts in is a lose/lose for Doug, and Lurie stepping in is a bad look.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Because Doug is the one calling the shots. If Wentz has been bad enough to the point where Doug would actually consider benching him, then there's a good chance Doug is a dead man walking. If Lurie tries to intervene and force Hurts in, then that's going to send a bad message to any potential coaches who'd replace Doug, suggesting maybe they shouldn't take this job. If we're like 2-6 at the Bye, the best chance for this team to try and come back and save face on a 2nd half turnaround would be with Wentz at the helm and Doug knows that. Putting in Hurts we probably finish the season at 4-12 and no better, then Doug is out. 

tl;dr, Putting Hurts in is a lose/lose for Doug, and Lurie stepping in is a bad look.

I think you are underselling how bad Carson has been the first two weeks. He's currently the worst QB in the league. 

7 minutes ago, Danger said:

I think the major rebuttal to this is that Doug has a SB and Wentz only has one by default. Doug’s leash should extend passed one failed QB. 

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Pederson and Howie are gunna be here in 2021 no matter what and they know that. I really don’t think their looking at Carson as someone who they need to save their jobs. They drafted Hurts cause they had doubts and now we see why they did. If the Eagles continue to lose and Carson keeps playing like trash, he will very likely get benched so they can see what they have in Hurts.