Notable/Historic/General Stats, Observations, Records, and Trends: Ravens Edition

9 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I wonder what the most is regardless of 1950. Also worth noting that if we're leading at the half, as that game graphic against the Texans showed we would break the tie and official climb into the top 3 all time for most consecutive games with a lead at the half at 13. Would at that point in time simply need 7 more games (IIRC) with such criteria to be #1 of all time in the entire 100 year history of the NFL. Would be incredibly impressive a feat to accomplish.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ravens-nab-another-nfl-record-213813424.html

According to the CBS broadcast, Baltimore became the first team in NFL history to win three consecutive season openers by 30 points or more.

That’s another one that’s pretty interesting. With Lamar in tow, would be interesting if we can extend this record out some over the next few years or more.

Lastly one of the stats you brought up to start this season. The most consecutive times a team has won the NFL rushing crown at, was it four years, I believe 5 to pass. Currently due to Lamar starting just one week too late as a rookie, we only have one season with such an accomplishment.

Currently the Ravens rushing attack ranks in 4th place with a 170 yds/game average. They will need to step it up a notch or so to ensure they once again recapture the throne to at least get on the consecutive list of multi-time winners.

Currently GB is averaging just over 200 yds rushing/game. I don’t find their rushing success particularly sustainable, but if the Ravens want to win they’ll clearly need to start kicking their run production into high gear.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Our 1st and 2nd Round Picks from the 2017 class leaving some interesting statistical marks in 2020. A CB forcing footballs out and an EDGE player picking them off. 

Humphrey will need to tie Peter Boulware before this season is over in order to get that NFL record as well. Sucks that the NFL is moving to a 17 game schedule, he might need to get up to 12-13 FFs to really put some staying power on the record if he’s able to break it. Hopefully the Jags WRs don’t come properly correct and allow him to get 2 FFs this upcoming game. Give Humphrey  a little leeway to close out the season.

14 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Humphrey will need to tie Peter Boulware before this season is over in order to get that NFL record as well. Sucks that the NFL is moving to a 17 game schedule, he might need to get up to 12-13 FFs to really put some staying power on the record if he’s able to break it. Hopefully the Jags WRs don’t come properly correct and allow him to get 2 FFs this upcoming game. Give Humphrey  a little leeway to close out the season.

Ironically, if he was worse in coverage he'd have a shot at more punch outs.

17 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Ironically, if he was worse in coverage he'd have a shot at more punch outs.

So true. For this game against the Jags, if we’re up by a couple scores, he’s got my full permission to get toasted in coverage once or twice to get a couple extra punch out attempts.

It’s also interesting with this record that if Humphrey sets it, he will have done it in just 15 games played vs 16 games like with Osi and Peanut. What’s more the game he missed, Peters had a few punch outs and those very well might have been plays Humphrey would have made. He might be already tied with the record after only 12 games played, if not for covid.

Thought it would be interesting to take a look at Dobbins' Rookie numbers compared to Rice's. The similarities between the two go far beyond #27, as Rice was a frequent comp for JK pre draft. They actually have about the same amount of rushes right now too, so you can get a decent look. Obviously their situations are very different. Lamar's presence and system, the 2008 vs 2020 OL, Cameron vs Roman, etc.

JK Dobbins' 2020 thus far-

Games Rushing Receiving Total Yds      
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Rush Yds TD 1D Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD 1D Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Y/Tgt Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV
2020 22 BAL   27 13 0 110 568 6 31 44 5.2 43.7 8.5 23 18 120 6.7 0 4 19 1.4 9.2 78.3% 5.2 128 5.4 688 6 2

Ray Rice's Rookie Totals-

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Rush Yds TD 1D Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD 1D Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Y/Tgt Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV
2008 21 BAL   27 13 4 107 454 0 21 60 4.2 34.9 8.2 43 33 273 8.3 0 12 40 2.5 21.0 76.7% 6.3 140 5.2 727 0 1

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Thought it would be interesting to take a look at Dobbins' Rookie numbers compared to Rice's. The similarities between the two go far beyond #27, as Rice was a frequent comp for JK pre draft. They actually have about the same amount of rushes right now too, so you can get a decent look. Obviously their situations are very different. Lamar's presence and system, the 2008 vs 2020 OL, Cameron vs Roman, etc.

JK Dobbins' 2020 thus far-

2020 22 BAL   27 13 0 110 568 6 31 44 5.2 43.7 8.5 23 18 120 6.7 0 4 19 1.4 9.2 78.3% 5.2 128 5.4 688 6 2

Ray Rice's Rookie Totals-

2008 21 BAL   27 13 4 107 454 0 21 60 4.2 34.9 8.2 43 33 273 8.3 0 12 40 2.5 21.0 76.7% 6.3 140 5.2 727 0 1

I think the things seen at a glance are about as accurate as it gets in describing the players and who I see JKD being. JKD is IMO easily the superior runner to Rice... and I don’t say that lightly. Rice didn’t have the same finishing power when a guy is able to get a clean hit in, I’m not as confident that Rice finishes that 2 pt conversion against CLE. Rice generally got people off balance and combined with his contact balance allowed him to win/break tackles. But JKD possesses the same contact balance as Rice, but finishes stronger when he needs to. This is why Dobbins has 6 rTDs, while Rice had 0 at that point. While Rice had to differ to the veteran Willis McGahee and hammer LeRon McClain in goal line situations, JKD doesn’t HAVE to differ because he’s a superior finisher. Some of that might be that JKD is facing 230 lbs LBers in the modern NFL and not 250 lbs though (however Dobbins in yesteryears probably packs on another 10 lbs and still doesn’t have to submit those goal line carries).

That said, Rice is better in the open field due to superior agility to even what JKD displays (no slouch there), which makes him superior as a receiving back. It was even more difficult to get a clear beat on Rice in the open field than JKD, though I’d say JKD is closer to Rice in the open field than Rice was to JKD in finishing power.

So all in all, it was definitely an easy RB comparison to notice, however CEH was the better Rice comparison (though lower grade), while with Dobbins it was probably a sort of ‘lazy’ comparison. Hard to find runners with such contact balance combined with JKD’s style. There’s a little bit of Ray Rice, Brian Westbrook, and Ahman Green all mixed within JKD’s rushing style. Not as good a receiver in route running as Westbrook, nor as dangerous in the open field as Rice. But his rushing style and profile is similar enough to both in some of the things he does. All in all, as difficult a comparison as he was to pin down, I settle on Green being the best with speed, finishing power, and quality contact balance with receiving upside. Green was a better runner than receiver, but could still make it happen as a receiver, I see the same with Dobbins.

But good number comparison find.

• Like 1

Currently at 908, does Lamar hit or top the 1,000 yards rushing mark for the second consecutive time and establish a new NFL QB record?

Ironically his final opportunity to do so comes against the Bengals who always seem to be there for big Lamar moments. His first start at QB came against the 2018 Bengals, rushed for 117 yards in that one. And then you have the infamous 'Spin' that came on a 47 Yard TD run against the 2019 Bengals(A key highlight of Jackson's MVP campaign). They stand in front of him again to end our 2020 regular season, with an NFL record and playoff birth at stake.

Their 2020 Run D isn't the embarrassment it's been in years past either. Top 10 in Rush Yards Allowed & Top 5 in YPC(3.9). Very similar numbers to the 2020 Giants,.. before we stampeded them today. 

Edit: Won't even try to hide it lol. Messed up on the Bengals' numbers like a dummy, was looking at their Rushing totals on Offense.. not Defense. They're still terrible at stopping the run. 😅🤣 I knew something was off...  You better get that record Lamar.

Edited by DreamKid
  • Like 1
On 12/21/2020 at 10:00 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I don't remember Ray Rice ever being a speed guy, though. JK Dobbins has elite burst. Idk, he doesn't really remind me of Rice at all.

Dobbins has better speed but I also haven’t seen anything yet that puts him close to the consistent receiving threat Rice was