Rookie Report

Humble_Beast

4 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I liked the same guys you liked: Grant, Jaylon, Winfield Jr... I don’t follow college as much as the NFL but I did catch some Gopher games. Fresno had a weird rivalry with them, and Winfield was special. Guy was making one handed game winning interceptions. Jaylon was a Fresno phenom too... Johnson looking like he should have been a top ten pick 

I don't know about Top 10 Pick, but Jaylon certainly should of been Top 25. I had him ranked 24th or 25th in my rankings I think.

Everyone complained about Jaylon's 4.50 which makes no sense. Okudah ran a 4.49 and Arnette ran a 4.56... and I do think that's Arnette's real time despite other fans stating otherwise. No way he runs a 4.4. Maybe 4.53 if slightly healthier.

4.50 is totally fine for a CB, especially if they are getting picked in the back half of the 1st.

Johnson was easily the best cover corner in college behind only Okudah and Henderson. 4th doesn't come close to Johnson. Plus Johnson is much more complete of a corner than Henderson was coming out.

Edited by BayRaider

41 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I don't know about Top 10 Pick, but Jaylon certainly should of been Top 25. I had him ranked 24th or 25th in my rankings I think.

Everyone complained about Jaylon's 4.50 which makes no sense. Okudah ran a 4.49 and Arnette ran a 4.56... and I do think that's Arnette's real time despite other fans stating otherwise. No way he runs a 4.4. Maybe 4.53 if slightly healthier.

4.50 is totally fine for a CB, especially if they are getting picked in the back half of the 1st.

Johnson was easily the best cover corner in college behind only Okudah and Henderson. 4th doesn't come close to Johnson. Plus Johnson is much more complete of a corner than Henderson was coming out.

Jaylon more physical then Henderson. I really think Jaylon is in that same tier as CJ and should have been a top ten pick without the injury. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

15 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Jaylon more physical then Henderson. I really think Jaylon is in that same tier as Carlos and should have been a top ten pick without the injury. 

Yeah I don't get it.. Mayock/Gruden claim they want a nasty corner, but why not pick Johnson over Arnette? Johnson is also nasty and physical, better speed, better hips for sure, better coverage track record, and most importantly, Johnson has starting corner caliber arm length at 31 3/8. Arnette has 30" Arms which is reserved 99% exclusively for Nickel Corners.

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah I don't get it.. Mayock/Gruden claim they want a nasty corner, but why not pick Johnson over Arnette? Johnson is also nasty and physical, better speed, better hips for sure, better coverage track record, and most importantly, Johnson has starting corner caliber arm length at 31 3/8. Arnette has 30" Arms which is reserved 99% exclusively for Nickel Corners.

Arnette has looked fine so far this season as has Mullen. Johnson has had a couple of good games playing on one of the better defenses in the league. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Arnette has looked fine so far this season as has Mullen. Johnson has had a couple of good games playing on one of the better defenses in the league. 

It still doesn’t change the fact Johnson was the better prospect than Arnette, and same style of play as Arnette, with longer arm length than Arnette. Show me anyone who had Arnette over Johnson, maybe 5% of draft experts at most. 

Johnson being the best rookie corner so far with Henderson is just icing on the cake. He looks totally shutdown outside of a big Ridley catch. 

Edited by BayRaider

Just now, BayRaider said:

It still doesn’t change the fact Johnson was the better prospect than Arnette, and same style of play as Arnette, with longer arm length than Arnette. 

Johnson being the best rookie corner so far with Henderson is just icing on the cake. He looks totally shutdown outside of a big Ridley catch. 

I think it's way too early to comment on these guys' careers. It'll be interesting to see how Johnson plays now that his shoulder is healthier.

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think it's way too early to comment on these guys' careers. It'll be interesting to see how Johnson plays now that his shoulder is healthier.

I’m talking about before the season started. Johnson performing much better is just icing on the cake as it’s way too early to tell. No one had Arnette over Johnson, well not many. There was not a single draft person that had Arnette graded in the Top 32. And I only saw a couple who even had Arnette graded as an Early 2nd. He was usually in the 45-60 range, and with good reason. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I’m talking about before the season started. Johnson performing much better is just icing on the cake as it’s way too early to tell. No one had Arnette over Johnson, well not many. There was not a single draft person that had Arnette graded in the Top 32. And I only saw a couple who even had Arnette graded as an Early 2nd. He was usually in the 45-60 range, and with good reason. 

I mean I think part of that is definitely the fact that he played most of the season with one hand. As a corner, that is extremely tough. 

Not denying that it was a "reach" on some level, but I really won't mind if he becomes a good player. I'm just happy he has edge. You don't see that enough on defense.

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

I mean I think part of that is definitely the fact that he played most of the season with one hand. As a corner, that is extremely tough. 

No, it’s because he has 30” arms and a 4.56 40. The speed doesn’t concern me as much as the arm length. Look at the list of successful outside corners with 30” arms, it’s literally almost non-existent. Although if Arnette doesn’t succeed as a Outside Corner, I think he’s a lock to be an elite nickel. 

Time will tell though. I’m pretty confident Johnson will have a better career but this might be one of the best corner classes of all time where Okudah, Henderson, Johnson, and Arnette all have solid careers. 

Terrell and Gladney may bust but let’s see how they develop. Terrell was drafted purely on skillset and looks completely lost so far like the National Championship. Gladney also looks like a scrub. I liked Terrell for development but I always thought Gladney was gonna suck, way too grabby and stiff. Shocked he went in the 1st Round. 

20 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

No, it’s because he has 30” arms and a 4.56 40. The speed doesn’t concern me as much as the arm length. Look at the list of successful outside corners with 30” arms, it’s literally almost non-existent. Although if Arnette doesn’t succeed as a Outside Corner, I think he’s a lock to be an elite nickel. 

Time will tell though. I’m pretty confident Johnson will have a better career but this might be one of the best corner classes of all time where Okudah, Henderson, Johnson, and Arnette all have solid careers. 

Terrell and Gladney may bust but let’s see how they develop. Terrell was drafted purely on skillset and looks completely lost so far like the National Championship. Gladney also looks like a scrub. I liked Terrell for development but I always thought Gladney was gonna suck, way too grabby and stiff. Shocked he went in the 1st Round. 

We both know he didn't.

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

We both know he didn't.

What are you talking about? He did run a 4.56. Please stop with the injury bs, you can say that stuff about almost every player, and it’s Raider Fans hyping that up like they do for every player, the fanbase of non-stop excuses for their players. I didn’t hear any of that non-sense before we drafted him. And even if you give him a better 40, he’s no where close to 4.4 speed. Maybe 4.52 at absolute best, being generous. 

Plus like I said, the speed doesn’t bother me much, it’s the arm length. 

Edited by BayRaider

If you’re talking about Mayocks personal time, lol. I’ll trust the NFL combine Official Time over a NFL GM’s time any day of the week and twice on Tuesdays. 

Keep falling for that noise though. 

Arnette is not a 4.4 on tape and the combine people are highly trained. Plus they have to report the facts. 

The over/under betting odds for Arnettes 40 was 4.54 by the way, along with several other expert projections. 

Edited by BayRaider